Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Progression  (Read 2656 times)

OrangeLima

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Progression
« on: January 12, 2013, 04:24:17 PM »

I am just wondering, with the ability to obtain high end ships very early in playtime, such as 2 hours for a paragon, whats stopping in the late releases  you obtaining such ships early and then being able to steam roll through the whole long progression with powerful ships? *which seems to defeat alot of the campaign*

I mean, at the moment smart play can win you many battles, and with the game staying on a tactical scale battle wise instead of strategic, it seems that it remains a open possibility that you can march through from start to finish trampling on everyone. I mean, from my view at least the skill system does not atm show a drawn out curve on these things.

tl;dr, how are you going the hard bosses going to be hard? Hostile captains also having skills/and or progression too? (because thats the only way I can see it being balanced, but not flattening it out)

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Re: Progression
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 04:27:04 PM »

When campaign gets more in-depth, capital ships will be uber-rare and thier owners will protect them with thier lives.  The largest thing you might see normally is a Cruiser, more often Destroyers, Frigates, and a ton of fighters. ;) Anyway, ships will be much rarer later on in development, and ships might also cost more (maybe).
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

OrangeLima

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 04:40:17 PM »

Link to evidence??  :o

Regardless, this would hardly make a dent, considering.. 

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 04:44:46 PM »

wow Alex replys to all other people but me lol    ;D

My apologies :) Who/how many: take a look at the credits. When: soon(tm). Where: In 4 different countries, one of which is the U.S.

I do have a question as it relates to the campaign and battleships-- will capital class warships be more rare in the final game? Seeing all these Paragons and Onslaughts is a little numbing-- you're impressed with their firepower at first but you get accustomed to it pretty quick. I'm hoping such warships will be impressive sights, seen only in major offensive forces every few months, or in core system defense fleets.

Yes, absolutely. The only reason it's like that now is the current campaign is a "hey, here's all the content in one place, have at it" setup, because there's not much else to do other than fight. Ultimately, I see a single Onslaught or a Paragon as a centerpiece of a system defense fleet or an expeditionary force.

The current star system is also very crowded, compared to how I envision systems in the "full" game. The only time you'd see such a force concentration would be in the midst of a major faction offensive, and it's not something that would be sustainable.

Disclaimer: liable to change as a result of playtesting, etc etc.

Here you go. :)
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

OrangeLima

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 04:47:22 PM »

With all data, and the assumption that there will be enemy captains with their own stats, I thank you a lot for bringing this to light to me  :)

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 04:48:54 PM »

No problem. :) I expect the full game to be more tactical (although I'd like it to be strategic at times - maybe asist a faction in a major offensive and pit one huge navy against another with me at the helm) and more decisive.

Zenos Ebeth

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 02:39:30 PM »

I'm quite happy that capital ships are going to become something of a rarity , i still hope if you get far enough in te game you will be able to take part in massive battles (like fighting the hegemony defense force , nothing like 2 onslaught charging your capping ships.)

I'd also like to be able to take it to a bigger scale , simply aving control over more than 1 fleet would help a lot , also ability to capture stations or even solar system , currently all you can do is sit on the station of the faction youdont like , and kill anythign that spawn , then proceed to resupply at said station after murdering their friends ( but as they say , business is business.) i assume the dev have things in mind for the future anyway :) .

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 02:41:53 PM »

i assume the dev have things in mind for the future anyway :) .

You assume correctly :)
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.