Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Just learned of Starsector  (Read 10676 times)

Verrius

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Just learned of Starsector
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2013, 04:16:34 PM »

$10 is steep for an alpha. Thing is, your getting the full game upon completion, which is worth more than $10.

If you want to see truely steep for an alpha, look up DotA 2 on steam. $30 for access to a game you can not only get free with an easy key, but will be free upon release. Now THAT'S dumb.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2013, 04:25:44 PM »

Ah, yet another Starfarer*! :D Hopefully you'll enjoy the game.  Try out some mods, too.  There's a load of them over in the Modding section.  And it's no shame to try modding out yourself either. ;)

*As in a person who wanders the stars
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2013, 05:20:44 PM »

welcome to our little corner of the internet :)
mmm.... tartiflette

DelicateTask

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2013, 05:37:15 PM »

Ever heard of Overgrowth? You may know of Wolfire Games, the developers of Overgrowth and organizers of the Humble Indie Bundle. They currently charge $30 for the alpha of their game which is little more than a (rather impressive but content-lacking) tech demo. Starsector has given me hundreds of hours of playtime for a third of the price, and I've owned the game since when only the missions were available. Since I've purchased the game, there have been many great additions, like a campaign mode, more ships, ship systems, the ability to outfit ships, character leveling, and dozens of improvements in AI, GUI, and overall design, with so much more planned.

Buy it. Buy it now.

Isimiel

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2013, 10:11:04 PM »

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2013, 12:49:41 AM »

Having access and waiting for a lot of games in alpha/beta, i can definitely say that Starfa---Starsector is the most polished, extremely playable and well developed game in the bunch... and that's saying something. Just today i was playing Prison Architect by Introversion, a company with a good decade in game design and even though it's been under development for half a year, and in preproduction for a year, the playable version is incredibly buggy and severely lacks in replayability. As for Starsector, i've gotten a good hundred hours out of it, and i keep nocking back a few dozen hours every new release.

Audiopulse

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2013, 08:22:11 AM »

Bought it. Installed it. Ah, ill just see for myself now what I just bought :)

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2013, 08:23:05 AM »

Be sure to post your initial thoughts and give feedback ;)

sdmike1

• Admiral
  • Dyslexics of the world, untie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2013, 10:41:43 AM »

We have him now *rubs hands together in an evil fashion*

Audiopulse

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2013, 11:38:46 AM »

I was indeed surprised. The Character-generator was nice ... everything else but choosing the combat-related answers gets you killed, though. I found it also hard to ... well ... when finally getting the upper hand to keep the enemy from just retreating. I love how theres ballistic weapons, though. I never quite liked it when space-related games become huge disco-festivals because of massive laser-usage :)

Edit: A slow-down would be nice. It would make it easier for me to get into the game and I could always decrease it bit by bit when I get better :)

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2013, 11:40:18 AM »

I was indeed surprised. The Character-generator was nice ... everything else but choosing the combat-related answers gets you killed, though. I found it also hard to ... well ... when finally getting the upper hand to keep the enemy from just retreating. I love how theres ballistic weapons, though. I never quite liked it when space-related games become huge disco-festivals because of massive laser-usage :)
The lasers that do nothing always frustrated me.
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

sdmike1

• Admiral
  • Dyslexics of the world, untie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2013, 11:51:15 AM »

Edit: A slow-down would be nice. It would make it easier for me to get into the game and I could always decrease it bit by bit when I get better :)
do the missions, they are invaluable there is one called the wolf pack or something like that, that should be very helpful in training you to chase down ships, also, check out the modding section they may have something to make it easier but idk :)

Audiopulse

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2013, 01:06:28 PM »

Good hint. Ive started countless times - it does make fun, but its very frustrating at the same time.

"Oh, you finally got the upperhand for once? Let me just retreat that ship" ;P

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2013, 02:24:21 PM »

make fun

Now I know you are german ;)

For a beginner I would not recommend the Iron mode so you don't have to restart all the time (assuming you did not mean a simple reload). F5 for quicksave and F9 for quickload, until you can estimate the strenght of an enemy.

Also, the two tech skills that raise OP are very good.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

RSS_Ornel

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2013, 03:45:30 PM »

Idk what the answers are for the char creation but a wolf is the easiest frigate to start off with imo. lots of harass(oh god i play to much league of legends) and very strong shields to protect against pesky rail-guns(which are kinetic so they do more damage to shields). oh and harpoons to finish unshielded enemies so those cheeky buggers cant retreat.
Pages: 1 [2] 3