Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Just learned of Starsector  (Read 10681 times)

Audiopulse

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Just learned of Starsector
« on: January 12, 2013, 12:02:05 PM »

Hey,

as the title says - I just found starsector this morning and I was really interested as it combines the known space-battling (Gratuituous Space Battles, Space Pirates & Zombies) with Trading and building Industries - which I really love and miss in a lot of titles. But seeing its beeing sold for 10$ I was somewhat surprised. Dont you think thats a bit steep for an alpha?

This is a rather delicate thing to ask. I know that. I dont really think anybody on the official forum would just answer "yeah, kind of..." - in fact, I would like to see if you might just convince me that its worth the 12 €uros.
The reason I am so undecided is - I would like so much have a look at this game yet there is no free version as with Kerbal Space Program or Minecraft, nor a demo. I wouldve paid 5-6 € without a second thougt just to try it out. The only way to make myself an opinion are some videos on Youtube which dont even show any sign of the trading, exploring and/or building industries which made the game so interesting for me. So Im kind of hanging in the air right now - All I heard sounds really interesting and fun, but just the Youtube-videos arent really enough to sell it to me.

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
Re: Just learned of Starsector
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 12:11:25 PM »

the trading, exploring and/or building industries are not in the game yet, it is very much a planned feature at this point.

If the battles you see aren't enough to justify the purchase you might wanna wait a few more patches
mmm.... tartiflette

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 12:11:28 PM »

Trading, exploring, and building industries aren't yet implemented yet. :) It'll come along soon enough, don't worry.  I've been here since .35a and watched this little game grown from just a few ships, weapons, and missions to an entire campaign map and an amazing AI (don't forget even more ships and weapons! :D).  What's better, this game is still in Alpaha, so there's a ton more to look forward to.  That was the best $10 I've spent so far. ;)
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

PerturbedPug

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 12:16:43 PM »

Hello and welcome to the forums! About the price point, I don't think that it's very high at all. Minecraft costed $15 during Alpha and Prison Architect is $30 right now even though it is also in alpha. I was hesitant as well when I was going to get it as there was no demo, but I just thought "what the heck, I'll get it" and that was a really good ten bucks spent. Hours of entertainment for a only small price.

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 12:52:15 PM »

Well Ive got probably 500-700 hours in this game. Probably the best 15$ I ever spent. Check out my YT page if you want some videos of the game :)

-->Faiter119<--

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 12:58:19 PM »

Probably the best 15$ I ever spent.
15$??? How?

I buy this for like 8.5 euros, or 9 euros, cant remember. How you paying that much? (is there a way to check how much it is taken from my card?- and yes i deleted my mail from bitmicro)

You can't go wrong with this game man. There is none complaining about it, but than again who knows will industry implementation be like you want to be. Still, i think you should get it while its only 10$.
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

theSONY

• Admiral
  • Not a single Flux given
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 01:01:27 PM »

well the full costs in dollars it was 12$
-the ABOMINATION - in progress

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 01:07:01 PM »

I could swear that I paid less than 10 euros... Or my mind play tricks on me again...
Creator of:

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 01:07:30 PM »

Yeah I diddnt check the actual price, just thought it was somewhere around 10-15$.

Axiege

• Admiral
  • What a brave and loving name.
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 01:12:34 PM »

Even with just what's in the game now, it's definitely worth $10. Aaaaaand as long as we're pointing out some footage you could check out to help you make up your mind... http://www.youtube.com/Axiege

Season 2 is going to show off how amazing the modding community here is, probably as good (but not as big) as Minecraft's and Skyrim's.

theSONY

• Admiral
  • Not a single Flux given
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, 01:25:46 PM »

I could swear that I paid less than 10 euros... Or my mind play tricks on me again...
well 1 Euro is worth more than 1 Dollar
just checked: 10 Euros = 13,27 Dollars as for now so price is more or less the same for everybody :)
-the ABOMINATION - in progress

Dorfs R Fun

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2013, 01:43:02 PM »

I paid 10 dollars well over a year ago. I still play this game regularly.

I paid 60 dollars for an xbox game well over a year ago. I played that game for about a week.

edit to add: plus once the game reaches 1.0 full release and the modding community wraps it's warm arms around it....  I can't even imagine the awesome.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 01:54:20 PM by Dorfs R Fun »

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2013, 02:04:57 PM »

well 1 Euro is worth more than 1 Dollar
just checked: 10 Euros = 13,27 Dollars as for now so price is more or less the same for everybody :)
yes i know that that is why i sad i payed like 8.5 euros.
Creator of:

almondblight

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2013, 03:48:53 PM »

Well, there will be a demo eventually, so you can always wait for that if you want. As others have said, there's no trading or exploring in the game just yet.

I will say though that I've thoroughly enjoyed the time I've spent with the game so far, and think it'd be worth $10 just for the alpha, which feels like a full game. The game is being continuously updated, and $10 is less than what the game is eventually going to cost. And remember, you're not just buying the game, you're also supporting the developers.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 07:35:01 PM by almondblight »

Audiopulse

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2013, 04:12:04 PM »

Wow. I was sure I would going to be paled for posting this. I am really surprised of your responses.

Well Ive got probably 500-700 hours in this game. Probably the best 15$ I ever spent. Check out my YT page if you want some videos of the game :)

-->Faiter119<--

Yeah, Ive seen a lot of your LPlays - they are what brought me here in the end :D

Well, on topic - as said. Im really surprised with your responses. I guess I will have it like SpainardSlayer :)
"what the heck, I'll get it"
Pages: [1] 2 3