Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Let's talk scale!  (Read 11247 times)

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile
Re: Let's talk scale!
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2013, 04:12:01 PM »

The middle part to me looks about half as wide as it should be.

Seems ok to me. I can place two pixel people next to each other, infront of the cargo opening. I can also fit two artwork people. Note that the person is a bit further into the cargo bay, so he'd likely be a bit bigger when lying there. :P

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2013, 05:34:55 PM »

I'm just drawing it by feel. It's not a CAD diagram. I wanted something that felt like the Millennium Falcon or Serenity, so that's what you're getting.

See also previous answer from me quoted earlier in the thread.

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2013, 05:39:37 PM »

I'm just drawing it by feel. It's not a CAD diagram. I wanted something that felt like the Millennium Falcon or Serenity, so that's what you're getting.

A job well done, I'd have to say. That Hound has a real Serenity feel to it. :)

I think we all get that there are no exact measurements and that things just have to look good and be practical ingame. It is still fun to see the "what if" size of the ships, if they all followed a certain measurement logic. :)

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2013, 06:23:33 PM »

Bear in mind that 2m (more than 6' 6") is very atypically tall for a human. 1.75 m (about 5' 8") is a more realistic figure, especially if the person's gender is unknown. Given the methodology of the initial measurement, that revises our length estimates downward by around 12.5%. Dinky little ship!

...actually, now I want to know where the Hound (and indeed any other frigate) finds hangar space for fighters. I guess you could dock them to the outside of the hull or something.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 06:36:57 PM by Histidine »

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2013, 06:29:48 PM »

I'd say the Hounds stores fighters hanging off the ceiling of the cargo bay on the inside.  Cargo can probably be stored under the fighters as well as underneath the floor panels. :) Since I'm taking an art class this year, I might as well draw a Piranha being lifted into a Hound at an Orbital Staion. ;) Let's see how far I get with that.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Gaizokubanou

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2013, 07:40:35 PM »

Orrrr that image is just rough draft and didn't think through the scale because that ship in that picture is pretty tiny to be called a frigate.  Even modern day frigates which have no need for extended supply of air and whatnot dwarf that thing, which looks closer to a large fighter/bomber in size than a frigate.

ArkAngel

• Captain
  • The essence of strategy is choosing what not to do
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2013, 06:11:19 AM »

Oh dear god. Auto cad...  bane of my high school existence.
"Yes... Yes I -am- sending you, alone, unarmed, against the might of the Hegemony defense fleet.  Not to worry - watching how they obliterate your puny frigate will be most... enlightening.  I shall dissect their tactics and emerge victorious!  Any questions? Then get to your ship, you launch in 5."

Audiopulse

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2013, 04:34:15 PM »

I feel I need to make a Confession-bear meme: I kind of liked working with AutoCAD - and even worse - now with Rhino. :D

Anyways. I wouldnt mind if the Starsystem and its Planets were more to scale. Brawling around a planet instead of a whole Sun-system would be just as nice to me.
Pages: 1 [2]