Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Basic Setting - Multiple Star System Map, or Single-system?

Multiple-System
- 21 (80.8%)
Single-System
- 5 (19.2%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]

Author Topic: Community Mod 2 (Framework Download Available)  (Read 43051 times)

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
Re: Community Mod 2
« Reply #165 on: February 16, 2013, 10:24:42 AM »

Unfortunately, neither of those ideas are really possible. The purge one might be somewhat possible, but I don't see it working in a way that doesn't feel like total garbage. Still, they're good ideas.

As for the download, I've still got the latest version on my desktop. I've been meaning to get around to it, but I've been rather busy as of late.

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
Re: Community Mod 2
« Reply #166 on: March 13, 2013, 08:57:31 PM »

Took a few days and made some significant progress.

As of now, all ships have proper infection systems. I got the infection beam working. The campaign is playable, though it's garbage and 99% incomplete. Infected fleets slowly increase in spawn frequency, and spawn on the edge of the system. Civilian fleets move between worlds. A small military presence is there to keep the infection at bay for a little while, but ultimately gets overwhelmed after a good bit of time. I put the munitions ships in-game as civilian vessels.

There's one horrible issue, however: refitting your ship will result in the infection overlay decorative weapons being placed in group 1. As there is no way to fix this, if you refit your ship, do NOT use group 1 for any weapons, otherwise, stupid will happen.

To anyone who's still thinking about contributing, this download is the current framework. Here's how contributing will work:

-> You download the framework, add/modify content.
-> You upload the new version of the mod somewhere and send the link to me. Inform me of what has been changed. If you can upload just the relevant files you've modified, that would be great too.
-> I implement your changes into my version.
-> I upload a new framework after a sizable amount has been added. Don't worry about using framework that is slightly out of date, unless you're modifying core campaign code. If that's the case, talk with me, and I can provide you with the most up-to-date version.

The link: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/71512473/CoMM2-base.zip
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 08:59:48 PM by Psiyon »

TheHappyFace

• Admiral
  • The critic
    • View Profile
Re: Community Mod 2 (Framework Download Available)
« Reply #167 on: March 14, 2013, 01:02:20 AM »

another ship for you.
planned on using it for a mod of my own but changed my mind  ;)
Fractalsoftworks limited edition ban hammer.

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 14, 2013, 09:23:24 AM »

Cool, it'll be put to good use.

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 14, 2013, 03:01:02 PM »

So glad this is taking off :)
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

mostmodest

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 14, 2013, 04:52:49 PM »

Quick question: "What do the "infection" and "infection large" weapons do?
Yes, you are reading to far into this.

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 14, 2013, 05:02:50 PM »

Take over your ship.

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 14, 2013, 05:13:45 PM »

Quick question: "What do the "infection" and "infection large" weapons do?
They're decorative weapons added to every ship in the mod. If the battle creation plugin detects that the ships belong to the infection faction (or if they're in the enemy fleet in non-campaign combat scenarios), then they will become visible, choosing a random frame and rotation angle to simulate dynamic infection effects for each ship. For ships in your fleet, or for civilian/military fleets, the decorative weapons will all be invisible.

The one that infects ships is the infection beam weapon. When it hits a ship below a certain HP level, they'll switch sides. I've yet to make the infection graphics appear on ships taken over by this beam, though.

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 14, 2013, 11:35:27 AM »

Oh hey I remember this ill-fated mod.

I'll be straightforward: I really liked where this mod was going. I was pretty excited about all the interest that it had in the beginning. It was pretty depressing when I put the framework up for people to add to, and nobody ended up doing a thing with it.

Well, that's probably half my fault. Truth is, I work alone. I don't really have any experience in managing people, and I think anyone looking through this thread (or the previous community mod) could easily observe that fact.

The other half of it was that the mod was trying to do things that weren't reasonably possible in 0.54.1a. The campaign wasn't very flexible, and that was obvious based on how often I had to tell people "sorry, that's not possible in the current version of the game."

Now, things are a bit different. With the advent of 0.6a, the flexibility of the campaign mode has increased exponentially, making the majority of the ideas in this mod trivial to implement.

At the same time, I've had the time to do a lot of introspection, and have identified why I always seem to do a poor job as an organizer: I don't push or encourage people to actually get work done. I can facilitate communication quite well, I think: if I couldn't, we wouldn't even have a valid concept for a mod. But communication alone doesn't build a mod.

So, let me get to the point here: I want this mod to happen. I really do. I think a lot of other people out there would love to see it a reality as well. If the interest is there, I'm willing to put in my all as a leader, and get this thing playable.

Drop a reply if you're interested in contributing, and more importantly, if you actually plan on contributing. Leadership skills don't matter much if those being led have no motivation to realize the end goal.

mostmodest

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 14, 2013, 08:25:32 PM »

I've got absolutely no coding expertise at all, but I could provide lore if you guys give me some stuff to work with.
I got a new laptop, so I don't have any notes on what I need to do. But yeah, drop me a lone for some lore-y stuff; and I you want someone to attempt to help with the coding, just show me how.
Yes, you are reading to far into this.

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 15, 2013, 01:15:57 PM »

If you need a leader, I can provide
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]