Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Lucid dreaming.  (Read 9103 times)

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
Re: Lucid dreaming.
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2013, 04:06:28 AM »

I also sometimes see what will happen tomorrow in a dream. It's entirely random and occurs of its own accord, but there is a sure sense of deja vu and I saw this play out beforehand. It's not my left eye being slower than my right, it's seeing something 12 hours before it happened.

Strange.
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

Pelly

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2013, 04:37:47 AM »

I also sometimes see what will happen tomorrow in a dream. It's entirely random and occurs of its own accord, but there is a sure sense of deja vu and I saw this play out beforehand. It's not my left eye being slower than my right, it's seeing something 12 hours before it happened.

Strange.

I've had the same thing, when I wake up and see for example someone in a red dress fall down the stairs and their handbag drop items I remember seeing, when I haven't...

We are Precogs!!

jimy

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2013, 05:26:39 AM »

I've always tried the WILD method but with no sucess yet.
I think you get into 3 stages (As far as I experienced it myself):

1. You get more relaxed and you feel more comfortable
2. Sleep Paralysis
3. Lucid Dream

Unfortunaly, I never got past the first stage as I always get too excited when I feel that something changes and ruin everything. :(
Though it's a really nice way to sleep even when you for some reason can't.
That's how I cured my "holyday-sleep-disorder". :D
Since I always stayed up and woke up very late I couldn't manage to get into my old cycle when I went back to school and with the first stage of the WILD method I could relax and fall asleep.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2013, 07:30:51 AM »

I'm currently trying the MILD methos, along with reality checks ever so often per day. It kinda worked almost, last night.

I also remember a lucid dream i had a while ago, where i was commanding a destroyer (not anything from sf or any other game), and was in a large battle. Lemme tell you, getting a anti-matter nuke in your face does not feel good.

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2013, 07:34:33 AM »

I also remember a lucid dream i had a while ago, where i was commanding a destroyer (not anything from sf or any other game), and was in a large battle. Lemme tell you, getting a anti-matter nuke in your face does not feel good.
You get used to the lurch after a while, and then it gets pretty exhilarating. Helps if you can withstand the impact too.
But next time, get a fighter with a ship killer missile and sit close to the blast. It feels awesome. Rush.
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2013, 12:22:45 PM »

Sooo...

Anyone else that could give advice? You could always share your story too. :)

sirboomalot

• Admiral
  • Boom
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2013, 03:35:26 PM »

Never had a lucid dream before, but I do remember (and have written down) the most recent dream I had. Part of it involved a lasher armed with two lightsabers and a railgun trying to chase down a starwars X-wing fighter, which had a shield to block the railgun shots. The lightsabers were slightly shorter than the lasher itself and pointed straight out in front of it.  Other games involved in the dream were Age of Empires 2, Skyrim, Dwarf Fortress, Minecraft, Civilization, some sort of 3d MMO, Sim City 2000, Starcraft, and space station 13.

That was certainly the strangest dream I've ever had.

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2013, 03:36:49 PM »

Chased by weeping angels, couldn't wake up, only woke up when they snapped my neck
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2013, 04:49:43 PM »

Yeah, keep on going guys! Hehe, i really hope I'll get one tonight. :)

Vulcan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2013, 07:37:17 PM »

BIG warning to anyone who is trying this! If you get a good hold of a lucid dream you'll have a feel for whats up with your physical body DO NOT try to open your eyes from your dream.

You will have the absolute worst nightmare and be completely conscious of your senses, basically you will get your sense of touch, smell, etc back but still be in your dream and no, no good things come out of it.

Two years ago I made a mistake of trying to open my eyes to get out of a dream and instead went straight into the worst nightmare of my life. Summed up, I was dragged out of bed by something and thrown up against a wall and what I felt was horrible, it wasn't sharp pain but it was a very intense pressure. Usually I could end a dream or influence it, but that dream was different. That was the first nightmare I had since I was 11 years old and I still remember it perfectly 2 years later.

And about starting to have lucid dreams... When you wake up from a dream, lay where you are and don't move, think hard about your dream, going over details and what happened while keeping a sense of when it happened in the dream. Be careful about lucid dreaming tho, your brain does a lot more than you know, the subconscious brain is MUCH bigger then your conscious, don't do something that your not confident with

naufrago

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2013, 08:23:25 PM »

DO NOT try to open your eyes from your dream.

It's kind of funny you mention that because forcing my eyes open during a nightmare is what I do to get out of nightmares. =p While I almost never lucid dream, when I have an unpleasant dream and decide it's too much, I'm always able to force my eyes open while taking a deep breath in, which always makes me conscious again. Sometimes takes a couple tries, but it works. This one time it didn't wake me up the first time, it took me a bit to realize that I was still dreaming and that I should try again (I don't remember the details, just remember that the dream was still unpleasant and wanted a reset).

As for when I'm lucid dreaming, the moment I become too aware of my body outside of the dream, I wake up.

As for horrible nightmares, I remember one time when (in my dream) my right hand got shot and I felt an intense burning sensation. When I looked at it, the middle and ring fingers were fused/melted together. I decided within a few minutes of that to force myself awake (I think it happened that I was sleeping on my hand or arm strangely and those two fingers fell asleep).

Also, in another dream/nightmare, I was being chased by a floating water monster (kinda looked like a balloon animal), but I couldn't move my legs well for some reason (a common theme in many of my dreams, actually). Eventually it managed to touch me with one of its appendages and I got sucked inside of it and started to drown. I felt an intense pressure and burning in my lungs until I realized I could breathe, with difficulty at first, but it actually wasn't bad enough to make me want to force myself awake.

I also remember a dream/nightmare where I considered forcing myself to wake up and decided, nah, it's not bad enough. Falling asleep can be difficult for me, wasn't worth the hassle. Might have been that water monster dream.

ArkAngel

• Captain
  • The essence of strategy is choosing what not to do
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2013, 09:33:18 PM »

I used to be able to have a lucid dream when I was younger. Now I can't seem to do it anymore.
"Yes... Yes I -am- sending you, alone, unarmed, against the might of the Hegemony defense fleet.  Not to worry - watching how they obliterate your puny frigate will be most... enlightening.  I shall dissect their tactics and emerge victorious!  Any questions? Then get to your ship, you launch in 5."

TheHappyFace

• Admiral
  • The critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2013, 03:11:47 AM »

I once had a dream where i knew it was a dream (i never have that) ,so i was just standing there figuring out how to get awake. x)
I waited a while before i finally woke up, opening eyes etc.. didnt work.
Fractalsoftworks limited edition ban hammer.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2013, 04:43:55 AM »

Meh, the night passed and i got no lucid dream. Although i did get a more vivid than usual dream in which i sold movie posters.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2013, 12:27:19 PM »

Anyone else that can share experiences?
Pages: 1 [2] 3