Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Lucid dreaming.  (Read 9104 times)

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
Lucid dreaming.
« on: January 03, 2013, 03:26:03 PM »

This may sound a little weird, but from what i've heard about it, it has the possibility to be awesome.

For those of you that don't know what lucid dreaming is, I'd suggest googling it.

Now, anyone else here that has had lucid dreams? Perhaps on a more regular, controlled basis? I could always use advice. :)

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
Re: Lucid dreaming.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 03:30:57 PM »

Lucid Dreaming is amazing if you're in a darkened room with chilled music.
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

hadesian

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 03:32:04 PM »

• Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 03:34:07 PM »

Lucid Dreaming is amazing if you're in a darkened room with chilled music.

Nah, why stop there? Bring it way up to more epic proportions. Hehe

naufrago

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 04:46:35 PM »

From what I understand, it's a matter of training your brain to recognize when it's dreaming and be able to apply the part of your brain that's responsible for critical thinking (which is typically 'switched off' when you're asleep).

I recently became interested in trying to have lucid dreams and did a little bit of reading. It seems the best thing you can do is force yourself to remember and record your dreams the moment you wake up (waiting even more than a few minutes makes recalling your dream extremely difficult). This helps train your brain to recognize when it is dreaming. It also helps to read some of your dream journal before going to bed to remind your brain what a dream is like.

A couple weeks ago, I had my first lucid dream in years, and the only thing I did to achieve that was recording my dreams and doing my best to remember them (happened within a couple weeks of starting my dream journal). Remembering your dreams is the most important thing because, even if you do have a lucid dream, it's pointless if you don't remember it.

(Well, I lied a bit about me keeping a dream journal. I didn't actually write anything down, I just recalled my dreams, put them into words, and did my best to remember that. It worked better than expected. I dreamed every night for a week or two, and had one lucid dream. Within a week of that lucid dream I had, I got a bit lax about forcing myself to remember my dreams and stopped remembering my dreams altogether. Bit of a shame, really. Alright, New Year's resolution time- I'm going to record my dreams when I wake up every morning.)

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 04:53:12 PM »

This is one of the biggest things I've wanted to do ever, I WILL learn this.

Starting tomorrow xD
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

LazyWizard

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 04:56:35 PM »

I used to be able to lucid dream as a child, but since it interfered with regular sleep (whenever I turned my head in the dream I would do so in real life and immediately awaken) I allowed the skill to lapse. I still have much higher control over my dreams than what I gather most people do, but no real alertness during them.

A nice lingering benefit of the skill is that I haven't had a single nightmare since I was twelve. :)

Edit: If I remember correctly, the concept was introduced to me in elementary school, and we were taught to do it by visualizing a color as we fell asleep so it would be in the forefront of our mind, then when we saw it in the dream we would recognize it and realize we were asleep.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 04:59:30 PM by LazyWizard »

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 05:43:07 PM »

I know it most of the time when I dream. That has never given me any control over anything but my own actions in the dream, though.

That leads to funny stuff sometimes. I remember threatening a monster (which had an appetite for my eyes) to wake up and ending its existence if it would not leave me alone.

The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 05:46:42 PM »

I could never lucid dream. -_- If I even so much as lol my head around just before I go to sleep, eyes open or not, I freak out.  Feel like I'm falling.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 05:46:49 PM »

done it once, just chilling out in a dream then became self aware from sheer luck

damn it was something  ;D
mmm.... tartiflette

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 03:05:10 AM »

Well, i tried going the MILD technique, i think? Yeah, while i was going to sleep, i was just saying "I will have a lucid dream". I started working, and i could feel that weird feeling of sleep paralysis. Then i did the mistake of force-opening an eye, which led to me aborting the whole process and i had to start over again. I heard you can get stuck in sleep paralysis for a while and hallucinate. :s

DDIT: I almost got one reality check to happen in my dream, though i woke up then. I do feel better slept out than before. Huh
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 03:07:30 AM by Upgradecap »

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2013, 03:06:40 AM »

Well, i tried going the MILD technique, i think? Yeah, while i was going to sleep, i was just saying "I will have a lucid dream". I started working, and i could feel that weird feeling of sleep paralysis. Then i did the mistake of force-opening an eye, which led to me aborting the whole process and i had to start over again. I heard you can get stuck in sleep paralysis for a while and hallucinate. :s
Yeah, so you wiggle your toes in order to realise that you are actually awake, this forces your body to realise you are waking up.

Chemicals in your body and all that....
- Albert Einstein

hadesian

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2013, 03:07:01 AM »

Wait a second, is

Oh mai, I've just realised I do this all the time. I snap out of it at will, but I basically just blankly gaze and lose myself in my thoughts in my bed with the lights out and then my thoughts become particularly vivid and real, but I still know I'm imagining/dreaming, so I assume something of a godlike spectatorship of what I'm imagining. It's awesome for imagining large scales of stuff, but I think tonight I'm going to take a lot more control.

When I really dream, I can have some extremely realistic dreams, which can be experiences that change your life. I've been to space in a Sunhammer Dreadnought before and felt the G force from projectile impacts. It's a terrific lurch. Awesome.

Actually, it explains why Disclosure feels so strange to listen to. It's the music I hear when I'm exploring the urban jungles of the Ivory Ark. Phenomenal.
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

TheHappyFace

• Admiral
  • The critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2013, 03:13:46 AM »

lucid dreaming sounds awsome but i think i like my dreams this way better.
when i am sleeping i want my brain to relax and organize ,so not being focused.
for me the best nights are the once without dreams (as far as i remembered i dreamt).
Fractalsoftworks limited edition ban hammer.

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2013, 04:01:14 AM »

A few risks with lucid dreaming, Taken from http://www.wikihow.com/Lucid-Dream:

• Looking in a mirror (your image will most often appear blurry or not appear at all in a dream). However, your figure can be horribly disfigured in a mirror, frightening you into nightmare or a dream.
  • Try not to worry about what might happen in the dream. Try to remember it's only a dream, and nothing there can hurt you. If you worry a lot about the people in your dream attacking you, for example, quite likely they will.
And remember:

When you are aware you are dreaming, make sure you know it is a dream at all times. Remember, there are no social consequences, everything, even the characters are just part of your imagination, you cannot get hurt, you need make to keep your dream stable, and you have total control of everything, including your actions, other characters actions, the environment, even physics with a few thoughts. Remember that and you will have total control over dreams at all times.

As for sleep paralysis:

To end sleep paralysis (which is not dangerous) try wiggling your toes or swallowing. When you are in sleep paralysis, your brain is sending a signal to the rest of your body to immobilize your muscles so you don't thrash around while you sleep. The larger muscles are usually more affected than the smaller ones. So trying to wiggle your toes tends to wake you up during a state of sleep paralysis.
- Albert Einstein

Pages: [1] 2 3