Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Psiyon's LP  (Read 2007 times)

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
Psiyon's LP
« on: December 26, 2012, 07:39:00 PM »

HA HA GOT YOU. It's not LP as in "Let's Play", it's LP as in "Long-playing record". That's an album! And what's on an album? Music! Or in this case, something that sort of resembles it.

If you're one of the 2.5 people who have listened to any of my stuff on my utub channel, you'll know I'm extremely self-critical about my music. This has not changed. What has changed is that I'm now fed up with hoarding a bunch of unreleased tracks that just lie rotting away on my hard drive. Some people said they liked my stuff. Fine. Here it is:

If you like electronic music or video game soundtracks, then you might like some of the songs on this.

utub previews (Most songs there that are on this LP are non-final, and not all songs on my channel are on this LP.): http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8AA86A9B816B68FE

Download: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/71512473/Ascendency%20loLP.zip

Feedback is nice, I guess. I suspect anyone who has any real experience with music has the ability to tear all my songs here apart. I encourage this.

From the readme file:

If for some inane reason you desire to use my music for something other than your listening displeasure, please contact me for permission. Odds are I'll say yes, so long as you don't want to use either Beyond Familiar Stars or In the Orbit of God. The rest are cool to do with as you please. Just let me know you're using it and don't claim it as your own. I do bad things to people who dishonor my simple requests.

FUN FACTS:

-All tracks were composed with FL Studio. All point-and-click. I don't have a MIDI keyboard. (Well, didn't. I got one for Christmas)
-Teaching yourself music theory is not fun.
-Mastering your music is not fun. You usually just make it worse in the end.
-People seem to give you a hard time for being self-critical about your work.
-The genre is called "Brain Damage" because having to listen to this over and over and over again in FL Studio probably knocked off about 8 IQ points.
-I named the music files in a way that resembles an illegal album download, so you can feel like you're getting something worth paying for.

-"Beyond Familiar Stars", "In the Orbit of God" and "Terran" were inspired by the Fury 3 series of PC games.
-"Gliese 411 B" and "Unknown" were inspired by Homeworld Cataclysm's soundtrack.
-"Marineris" and "Tharsis" were made for a terrible college game that we had to clobber together in about two and a half months. When my team went to present our game, there was an overlooked bug present that prevented the music from playing. My professor wouldn't let me hookup my laptop with the fixed version for the demonstration. What a loser.
-"Empyrean Caverns" was made for some ancient Starcraft 2 mod project that was eventually scrapped. It was kind of cool, though: it was a tactical-combat map that took place in caves throughout the dwarf planet Ceres. The caves looked pretty.
-"Callista", is of course, a remix of the track from Need for Speed, or more notably, Mass Effect 2's Club Afterlife. The original is far better.

Vind

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Psiyon's LP
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 04:48:02 AM »

Thanks for sharing! These tracks are good music for a Master Of Orion II game session.

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 05:09:20 AM »

I know yo pain Psiyon, having tried producing. It's so time consuming for less than ten seconds of music...
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 12:05:20 PM »

I know yo pain Psiyon, having tried producing. It's so time consuming for less than ten seconds of music...
Mm. Composing really isn't even the hard part, it's trying to get the final product to not sound totally out of whack that gets me. So many equalizers and compressors...

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 12:54:22 PM »

Mm. Composing really isn't even the hard part, it's trying to get the final product to not sound totally out of whack that gets me. So many equalizers and compressors...
The equalizers and compressors and effects are the fun part, it's the out of whack part that sucks
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.