Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Thinking of creating my own game.  (Read 11596 times)

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
Thinking of creating my own game.
« on: December 28, 2012, 05:07:57 AM »

Heh, well, i've been going around with this thought for quite a while now, and i just wanted to hear your guys opinions on this, and what can be improved/discarded in favor of something else.

I'll give you a blunt version of what the game would be like.

The game will be an arena-style game with vast arenas (not too big, but decently sized, approx.. 100-500sq km) with an all-out war between the two teams. There would be 3-4 factions featured at launch, each with their own unique set of ships and guns. The battles would be fought an array of different weapons, such as: Missiles, kinetics, lasers, anti-matter, ECM, ECCM, etc.
The ships themselves would be customizable, and you could add more weapons slots to an already existing ship, but if you exceed the tonnage limit of the ship, things will start to break down in battle, and you might not be able to repair them after battle, and might need to buy another component completely.

So, whaddya think? ;)

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking of creating my own game.
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 05:19:03 AM »

Seems like a big job... Sure it sound awesome and stuff, but are you sure you will be able to actually dedicate the time and patience to make this?

Sounds good, go ahead if you can.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 05:23:56 AM »

Seems like a big job... Sure it sound awesome and stuff, but are you sure you will be able to actually dedicate the time and patience to make this?

Haha, yeah, i've already thought that part out, though. It does seem like a project i'm willing to work on, and invest time in.

Also, i forgot to mention that the characters will be controlled in an FPS manner, with the ships being fully rendered inside then. The command interface would resemble Guns of Icarus Online, where each player would take a certain position, but here, a gun can either be controlled from the bridge, or directly. If it's controlled by the bridge, then everything is handled automatically, but if that link is severed, and manual control is needed, then a gunner and a loader is required. The largest planned ship would be able to hold up to 150 players.

Also, there will be boarding. :)

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 05:24:20 AM »

I like the idea, but you wouldn't be able to do this at such an early level
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 05:27:06 AM »

Oh, not me alone, and most definitely not now. I was thinking of having this project after i finish college, to have something to strive for. I'd rather have a 3 or 4-man team working on it, myself included in the calculation, ofcourse. :)

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 06:31:40 AM »

Anyone else that'd care to chip in? :)

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 06:50:15 AM »

So, sort of like Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad and Planetside 2 mixed in?  Interesting, I'd like to see that.

Speaking of a team, I've been doing mapping for Men of War since it came out.  I could get a really nice map, if I'm given the time and ideas on what to make.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 07:05:59 AM »

RO:2 and PS2 with spaceships. The battles would be taking part in aerial battles between two groups of spaceships, each with their own crew, as mentioned before. Also, land battles may take part in larger citites, if there are any present on the map.

The first rough idea for a map i have is a terran planet, with fields, gentle hills and a major city in the middle. :)

Sendrien

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 10:33:59 AM »

Have a look at the game Stellar Impact, you might be able to see what they've done right and what they've done wrong, and improve your game design as a result.

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 12:49:02 PM »

heh, upgrade, you certainly don't lack ambition....

I like the idea, to be sure. But ideas are soo easy to come by these days.... Odds are you're gonna have to cut out a lot of things before the game comes to fruition....

I'm making a flash game right now (hence the [programming] threads) and I'm definitely feeling the pressure sometimes. There are things in your vision you'll simply have to leave out due to performance, budget, difficulty, and all that stuff.

But then I'm a one man team in high school so I guess you'll have a easier time...
mmm.... tartiflette

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2012, 01:04:12 PM »

I'm making a flash game right now (hence the [programming] threads) and I'm definitely feeling the pressure sometimes. There are things in your vision you'll simply have to leave out due to performance, budget, difficulty, and all that stuff.

Totally know where you are coming from, though, i'm gonna go on KS (kickstarter), and then, well, i am after all, gonna have a team. Heh. :)

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2012, 01:25:53 PM »

Dude just buy some programers, make them make you your game and that is it  ;D No seriously with game budget you have you could, totally, buy some small game studio. (hey did you know that THQ is on sale?)
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2012, 01:27:24 PM »

And where am i supposed to get that kind of money? It isn't an small amount, yunno.

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2012, 01:47:14 PM »

KS is a hard sell. I know someone who tried funding via KS and that failed miserably.

Even if it does work, people are gonna be having much different expectations than you are which combined with the sense of entitlement (they helped make it happen) can result in a bad community. Also god help you when you try to cut an advertised feature (which you inevitably will have to).
mmm.... tartiflette

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2012, 02:24:20 PM »

People should realise that it's just an idea at this point, nothing practical has been done yet. Although, KS might make people entitled, it'd be one of the only ways to fund it. And, i'd have to make sure the community wouldn't grow bad, that's among the worst possible things that could happen.

I also do happen to know alot of people that have failed, simply because they set the goal too high, and don't advertise.  Advertising is key, but also, no entitlement.
Pages: [1] 2 3