Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Tales of Maj'Eyal  (Read 2481 times)

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile
Tales of Maj'Eyal
« on: December 28, 2012, 04:51:27 AM »

I take it that a lot of people here may be interested in rogue-like games. Too bad good ones are few and far between.

I stumbled upon a little gem though, that is already really well developed. It is free to play. I donated though, because I like supporting projects like these. Also grants a few extra features like a gamemode with infinite lives (though that defeats the purpose of a rogue-like). You can also create an online profile that keeps track of your achievements and characters. You can view each other's characters. And there's an ingame chat, eventhough it is a single player game.

Tales of Maj'Eyal
http://te4.org/

sirboomalot

• Admiral
  • Boom
    • View Profile
Re: Tales of Maj'Eyal
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 12:57:00 PM »

Hey, I've played that before! Fun game!

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 01:41:35 PM »

thanks for the recommendation! I was looking for a good single player RPG
mmm.... tartiflette

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 08:39:57 AM »

I've started playing this recently, about 5 or 6 weeks ago, and I must say, I'm really enjoying it.

Had a lot of fun with a dwarf wyrmic, had a few goes at trying to get a decent rogue going, and enjoyed the alchemist but feels a bit 'easy' if you go for the optimal bomb-centric builds.

Started playing it 'rogue like' with only one life, but cut myself a little slack recently and started playing with more lives. Dying before level 20 regularly either way, and I really hate Urkis.

Love the variety in the character classes, it's really well designed but I really need to have an earnest crack at unlocking the brawler, which looks like a real fun class.

I suppose I should be able to take a level ten alchemist with enough cash to have a decent stint, but I've been caught out so far.

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

sirboomalot

• Admiral
  • Boom
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 03:16:19 PM »

As an avid player of roguelikes, I have never actually played the game on anything other than roguelike difficulty. I also tend to spend a lot of time in the arena, seeing how far I can get, which so far has been to wave 23.

Edit: Make that wave 51, where I ended up getting killed by a couple of reavers. My golem died a wave later. Here is the character dump! http://te4.org/characters/11119/tome/7a10db23-a878-4c2d-a2d6-8a720773c20d
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 06:07:35 PM by sirboomalot »