Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: So I just installed Windows 7  (Read 4614 times)

naufrago

• Admiral
    • View Profile
So I just installed Windows 7
« on: December 23, 2012, 06:51:44 PM »

It's my first time actually owning anything with Windows installed, so I could use any tips for making sure everything runs smoothly and virus free.

Oh, first thing I did was get Google Chrome and download Microsoft Security Essentials (I did SOME research beforehand). Also, I'm not stupid about how and where I browse on the internet, so no need to give me advice about that =)

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Re: So I just installed Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 07:50:09 PM »

Windows 7 here. :) Had it my whole life so far.

I use Internet Explorer (I find it faster than Google Chrome for some inexplicable reason), just a hint there.  To keep yourself virus-free, try to avoid clicking on adds and download stuff from trusted sites only, like Mediafire, Gamefront, etc.  Also, I've got no anti-virus software WHATSOEVER, and I've never gotten a virus in my life (used BiteDefender to check - did a whole computer scan and nothing was found). :D Goes to show you what a little caution does. ;)

Run smoothly?  I'm using a laptop, so there's no help from me there. ;D It's noe like I'm going to go and rip it apart to put in a small graphics card that doesn't offer much of an improvement.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

FlashFrozen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 08:23:15 PM »

Well, depending on what size your hdd, you can always install malwarebytes as an additional thing if you want, I personally use it whenever i just feel slightly paranoid i caught something, only takes 7 mins for a fullscan for me :P (woohoo for living only on an ssd)

adblock plus is a nice extension for chrome, helps narrow down the things that could potentially be misclicked on.

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 10:54:18 PM »

Ghostery is a bit better. It picks up everything but can break stuff...
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 11:35:35 PM »

Anti virus - avast! (free)
Firewall - COMODO (just firewall)  

Oh yes and if you decide to use avast! do not forget to turn it off (avast! shield control) while playing games  ;D
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 02:20:09 AM »

First thing I install on Win 7 is always classic shell.

The randomly reordering recently used apps, and slow type-to-find start menu of the 'modern' start menu drives me insane; a cleanly categorized & alphabetically sorted classic start menu is sooo much faster.

Gabrybbo

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 05:31:14 AM »

It's my first time actually owning anything with Windows installed, so I could use any tips for making sure everything runs smoothly and virus free.

Let's see, here is the list of free programs that i install on every new PC running Windows:

- Avast! as antivirus. You just have to register with a mail and confirm the registration every year i think.
- Comodo as firewall. Has a lot of good features for a free program.
- CCleaner. This little program allows to manage your installed programs (better than the windows uninstaller), to clean temporary files and to do some other nice thingies.  :)
- Malwarebytes anti-malware, even with a firewall and an antivirus you may end up having malware in your pc (via infected devices or malicious links on the interwebz). Just do a complete scan every month, delete the files that it finds and you'll be ok.

Aaaaand... that's pretty much it really.  :)
...you can be assured that whatever comes out of the dev-oven will be fantastic and delicious. And it will also include frosting and sprinkles.

sdmike1

• Admiral
  • Dyslexics of the world, untie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 07:12:38 AM »

so you guys are smart, i just re installed vista (yuck) and now my Ethernet port wont work, i booted it to lunix and that still sees the port,

naufrago

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2012, 09:30:31 AM »

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep it in mind.

And about your computer not detecting your ethernet port, I have no clue how to help you with that, sorry.

LazyWizard

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2012, 06:16:33 AM »

so you guys are smart, i just re installed vista (yuck) and now my Ethernet port wont work, i booted it to lunix and that still sees the port,

Try running Device Manager (either use the search bar, or hit win+R and enter devmgmt.msc). Does your connection show up under 'Network adaptors'? And if not, is there anything under 'Other devices'? Either way, try right clicking on the device and selecting Update Driver Software.

Spoiler

[close]

If you still have your old windows install, select 'browse my computer' and find the location of your old windows directory (if you install Windows to the same hard drive, I think the previous Windows directory is moved to a hidden folder named Windows.old). That should find the drivers for you.

If you don't have your old windows install you'll need to select search automatically online, but that's very hit-or-miss. Sorry. :)

sdmike1

• Admiral
  • Dyslexics of the world, untie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2012, 07:43:45 AM »

you guys are the best!!!