Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fortress Shield AI Bug/Weakness?  (Read 2913 times)

Sendrien

• Captain
    • View Profile
Fortress Shield AI Bug/Weakness?
« on: December 21, 2012, 04:13:25 PM »

I'm not sure to what extent this is a bug as it is an inefficiency with the AI in regards to using Fortress Shield. Basically, I notice that the AI correctly turns on Fortress Shield to mitigate the damage from oncoming torpedoes and bombs, but for some reason, it doesn't do so for Sabot SRMs and large kinetic salvos like Gauss or Hypervelocity. Is this intentional oversight, or is there a slight optimization to be done here?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress Shield AI Bug/Weakness?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 05:07:40 PM »

All depends on the incoming volume of fire. It will use it for the other stuff you mentioned if the incoming damage is high enough.

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 12:23:17 PM »

I noticed this too, especially since the effective damage from the sabot salvo and things of that nature is higher than a torpedo.

Does the AI take into account damage type?
mmm.... tartiflette

Sendrien

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 09:06:44 PM »

This should be governed by a simple formula. Basically, the decision to turn on Fortress Shield is made when the following condition is met:

Expected hard flux increase from effective (shield-mitigated) damage during time window (x) > fixed Fortress Shield hard flux increase during same time window (x)

This is probably what Alex is using in terms of Fortress Shield AI, but the calculation of the first term is quite complex, as it has to factor in - damage type, shield efficiency, crew levels, skill perks, missile trajectory and expected effectiveness of point defense systems.

An error or oversight in any of these terms could be what's causing what we observe. Or maybe Alex did something else entirely different that us mortals cannot comprehend. :D