Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Custom Ships  (Read 3382 times)

Portal8229

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Custom Ships
« on: January 17, 2012, 01:57:57 PM »

Alright so I searched up and down, maybe I overlooked it but I can't find anything about a possible ship customizer. Honestly in games like this its such a good thing to be able to make your own variants of ships. I know it was done in Gratuitous Space Battles, but it was done because its awesome to put your touches on your ships. Let me know anyone if this planned at some point. Loving the game otherwise, so much fun!

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Ships
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 01:58:41 PM »

As far as I know, you'll be able to fully customize the ships in the next patch.
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

Portal8229

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 02:04:04 PM »

As far as I know, you'll be able to fully customize the ships in the next patch.

Really hoping this is true, adds so much fun to the game.

CommComms

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 08:51:50 PM »

Notacommy

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 02:59:09 AM »

You should add a system that allows you to do basically what they did in that space pirates mod where you could take two ships and sort of mix and match pieces to get a new ship. You should also make it possible to mine asteroids and use ores collected to add to attributes like resisting ballistic and missile damage and discipating energy weapon shots. You should also make it possible to keep adding parts to a ship at increasing cost until you get to the size of a capitol ship. Another idea is to make hardpoints have an upgrade system to change their size and ark until you can get a neutral type 360 degree large mount but the full price being extremely high.

Lanka

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 08:21:45 AM »

I'll just keep dreaming that eventually one of these games offer option to re-fit whole hardpoints - for a cost ofcourse.

Let's say for example you find a nice Cruiser with a fixed large energy weapon pointing straight forward and bunch of medium 270 degree arc energy turrets. Take your Cruiser to a station with shipyard that can change the layout to a medium 180 degree forward turret mount of your chosen weapon type and change some original turret mounts to fixed arc medium missile bays, for example.

So changing hardpoint type ballistic/energy/missile would be just matter of cost, adding turret would make large hardpoint>medium&medium>small with arc based on the hardpoint's position (so a fixed forward mounted gun couldn't turn 360 degrees because it'd actually collide with the hull around it) or otherway around remove turret making the hardpoint bigger. Maybe even base the turret slot's price on how big firing angle you want for it.

So that way you could have a fleet of ships with same hull, but totally different layout&combat role.

Zarcon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 11:00:51 AM »

I'll just keep dreaming that eventually one of these games offer option to re-fit whole hardpoints - for a cost ofcourse.

Let's say for example you find a nice Cruiser with a fixed large energy weapon pointing straight forward and bunch of medium 270 degree arc energy turrets. Take your Cruiser to a station with shipyard that can change the layout to a medium 180 degree forward turret mount of your chosen weapon type and change some original turret mounts to fixed arc medium missile bays, for example.

So changing hardpoint type ballistic/energy/missile would be just matter of cost, adding turret would make large hardpoint>medium&medium>small with arc based on the hardpoint's position (so a fixed forward mounted gun couldn't turn 360 degrees because it'd actually collide with the hull around it) or otherway around remove turret making the hardpoint bigger. Maybe even base the turret slot's price on how big firing angle you want for it.

So that way you could have a fleet of ships with same hull, but totally different layout&combat role.

I'd also very much enjoy this sort of thing at some point, and maybe it is even in the long term plans, or part of the Crew Skills/Captain abilities?  We have very little information on how that sort of thing will work out in the end, but it should be exciting.   ;D
There is no instance of a nation benefitting from prolonged warfare.
Thus it is that in war the victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory.