Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ground combat  (Read 8575 times)

CedricO

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Ground combat
« on: December 16, 2012, 01:54:07 PM »

I was wondering, can we ever expect ground combat? I was thinking turn based and a little like sid meier's pirates (its uber uber simple) but even simple would be nice. :) Could also unlock a whole new ground combat lvl of traits to the game like generals (your already adding officers so its not a large leap)

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
Re: Ground combat
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 02:12:00 PM »

Don't think so, its not designed as a ground strategy game and for that you would have to create allot of new units and a allot of new coding, it would be like making 2 games at the same time.

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 02:24:06 PM »

There was discussion here about "mini-games"" inside Starfarer and it didn't end good for mini-games :)  Now, I liked ground battle in Pirates! but if Alex put something like that in Starfarer i would like to have autoresolve option to do it in blink of an eye just in case. Sometimes that minigames just become boring and repeating and if they are mandatory, as someone already sad in that tread (i think it was discussion about boarding minigame) they can repel player for playing the game.For example I didn't like robot fights in Space Rangers 2. At first they was ok but later on they was horrible, I ended up more playing robot battles than playing ship battles. Basically it depends of how many of them you will have OR how long battle in minigame will last. If you have like 5 in whole game then it wont be boring and repeating (ok maybe for some will be) but if you have like 100 then for some/many people they can or will be boring and repeating. Then again if you have small number of them is it necessary to have them?

As for me. i'm here, exclusively, too shoot ships  ;D
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

Thule

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 02:41:17 PM »

I would love something like Master of Orion 2 had.
If i remember correctly the Ground Combat was autoresolved, but the battle was presented
to the player in form of an animation.

CedricO

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 03:15:40 PM »

Sid meier's pirates ground combat, was a joke. Yet it was good enough to prove a tiny amount of immersion as to what happened when you took over a town when you had enough manpower. Not sure if i would agree on how difficult it would be to implement it. But whatever. :) i found a horrible youtube video that shows it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G43AYE3C4LA (ground part is at 1:20) And its not something you did regularly in that game btw. Only if you *** a certain country off hard enough. Wich with the whole faction in starfarer should also be easy to copy paste. :P Anyway, ill leave the decision up to people that actually know how hard it is, and if its worth it.

RSS_Ornel

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 02:10:57 PM »

Some time ago(i was foolish then, but not "multiplayer" foolish) i suggested that with the current engine tank and or speeder combat would seem simple enough to do. my idea was naturally shut down but i agree invasion needs to be more imerrsive than just: "you have more marines, you win."

ThePinkPanzer

• Commander
  • Professional accidentaly rude person
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 09:39:22 AM »

I think the invasion can come in stages with minimal work.

Stage 1:
You see a screen sort of like the end result of the battle screen showing ships of yours that have weapons attacking vs. the defenses on the ground. It auto resolves and your ship artillery (large bore weapons like mjolnir cannons) has a chance to blow away defenses on the ground and kill soldiers. The ground defenses also have a chance to damage air born ships and to destroy very weak ones.

Stage 2:
The largest transport ships you have are shown depending on the number of marines (if you have a hundred marines and two ships that carry fifty, you can see two ships. If you have one ship that holds a hundred, you see one.) The ship holds a certain number of transport craft holding five or so marines. Depending on the ground defenses, a number is shown of how many marines you have vs. the number of enemy soldiers holding the planet.

Stage 3:
Marines battle local ground forces and depending on their rank and equipment or some other factor can win or lose, surviving enemy defenses and surviving ships with anti ground artillery can help or damage your chances of sucessful invasion.

Stage 4:
You can choose how to manage the colony.

I will post screens of how I imagine this would look later.

RSS_Ornel

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 09:50:53 AM »

Spoiler
I think the invasion can come in stages with minimal work.

Stage 1:
You see a screen sort of like the end result of the battle screen showing ships of yours that have weapons attacking vs. the defenses on the ground. It auto resolves and your ship artillery (large bore weapons like mjolnir cannons) has a chance to blow away defenses on the ground and kill soldiers. The ground defenses also have a chance to damage air born ships and to destroy very weak ones.

Stage 2:
The largest transport ships you have are shown depending on the number of marines (if you have a hundred marines and two ships that carry fifty, you can see two ships. If you have one ship that holds a hundred, you see one.) The ship holds a certain number of transport craft holding five or so marines. Depending on the ground defenses, a number is shown of how many marines you have vs. the number of enemy soldiers holding the planet.

Stage 3:
Marines battle local ground forces and depending on their rank and equipment or some other factor can win or lose, surviving enemy defenses and surviving ships with anti ground artillery can help or damage your chances of sucessful invasion.

Stage 4:
You can choose how to manage the colony.

I will post screens of how I imagine this would look later.
[close]
This is a nice idea considering it would be rather easy to implement with minimal effort.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 02:36:04 PM by RSS_Ornel »

ThePinkPanzer

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 02:31:20 PM »

theSONY

• Admiral
  • Not a single Flux given
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 02:58:41 PM »

looking good... BUT i don't see a space vessel flying in atmospheric condition, let's just face it onslaught will just fall like a rock thrown in to the  pool
next thing, the planetary assault should be in real time so attacking planet can defend itself throwing new or near fleet on our/cpu forces
-the ABOMINATION - in progress

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2012, 03:04:46 PM »

they could just be ships bombing the planets from orbit, with like maulers and pilums and stuff....
mmm.... tartiflette

ThePinkPanzer

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2012, 03:13:17 PM »

looking good... BUT i don't see a space vessel flying in atmospheric condition, let's just face it onslaught will just fall like a rock thrown in to the  pool
next thing, the planetary assault should be in real time so attacking planet can defend itself throwing new or near fleet on our/cpu forces

1. It isn't atmospheric, it is firing with a special weapon directly from orbit.
2. No it shouldn't, you are asking for way too much.

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2012, 03:16:39 PM »

Hello!  

Involved boarding like that would be great and has a lot of potential. To make it interesting would require a lot of effort and time from the developers, though. It is basically a second game inside a game! Therefore it will most likely not happen. Here's statement from the lead developer regarding that topic:

In brief, it's all behind the scenes. Having it be tactical could be nice - but it could also be something of a chore for the player, depending on their preferences. Doing it "right", like you said, is a big task - and it'd probably need to be skippable for someone that's just not interested in it. To be honest, I'd rather focus on adding features/making improvements to the combat and the sandbox, rather than spreading the effort too thin over an extra game type.

But that should not discourage you to post new ideas and suggestions

One more thing, a similar suggestion was made several times before. It's a good idea to use the search function (upper right corner) before posting
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 03:22:31 PM by Faiter119 »

theSONY

• Admiral
  • Not a single Flux given
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2012, 04:24:53 PM »

1. It isn't atmospheric, it is firing with a special weapon directly from orbit.
i'm not againts the idea, in the mather of speaking i was posting same idea elier BUT...
1#- so a special planetary wepon will be needed, ok fine, but wep. equiping it no problem
but orbital artilery ? gee... i dunno about that (but its not an "NO" just sound strange)
2#-why not ? you can drop attacking forces on the pllanet then return on the map system & wait till resoults
because hegemony planetery defance force will be usless when they lost their planet in just 1 day
i prefer something like:
select planet *POP UP* window>select attacking force (soldiers,tanks,you name it or whatever, support orbital vessels) & after that you have to wait some time & camp/deffend yourown forces so hegemony(or any other attacking forces) dont send rainforces from the orbit
-the ABOMINATION - in progress

ThePinkPanzer

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2012, 04:27:53 PM »

i'm not againts the idea, in the mather of speaking i was posting same idea elier BUT...
1#- so a special planetary wepon will be needed, ok fine, but wep. equiping it no problem
but orbital artilery ? gee... i dunno about that (but its not an "NO" just sound strange)

I don't see why not, give a shell atmospheric protection that it sheds in atmosphere and you have orbital artillery.

2#-why not ? you can drop attacking forces on the pllanet then return on the map system & wait till resoults
because hegemony planetery defance force will be usless when they lost their planet in just 1 day
i prefer something like:
select planet *POP UP* window>select attacking force (soldiers,tanks,you name it or whatever, support orbital vessels) & after that you have to wait some time & camp/deffend yourown forces so hegemony(or any other attacking forces) dont send rainforces from the orbit

Just make it so you can't select the option till the fleet is dead.
Pages: [1] 2