Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: couple of newbie questions plus preordered in faith so you devs keep deving  (Read 5627 times)

foxfire29

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Hiya, was recently grossly dissapointed with the Indie game Miner Wars in so many respects and as a staunch supporter of indie development it really turned me off to the point of not buying indie stuff if they were going to follow suite with commercial stupidity practices. Enough said though the fact is I bought the game SPAZ and Starfarer. I can say SPAZ is great and if first impressions are anything to go by that this game will also be great. I preordered Starfarer as I sort of see it as an investment, as a gaming fanatic whos wanted a space game that is open ended but doesnt focus on the most mundane boring aspects of space I have high hopes for this game!

Im about to peruse the newbie FAQ as have just joined this second but I was wandering does the industry skill have any effect and is mining a useful part of the game yet?

To access the campaign mode is it just a matter of doing New Game or is campaign actually the prescrioted missions which are accessed by clicking the missions menu button?

I fully appreciate this game is still at an early phase and am fine with this , however are there any mods which add a ton of content? Im not just talking new ships but I mean sort of story content with regards to working for a faction or 3 :), OR is this still a ways off?

Finally just started playing, love the combat mechanics as Im so sick of space games with auto battles yuck! However I am rubbish, still trying to get to grips with fleet points and how to control my support vessels. NB the starting ship one gets does not seem to be very good and any starting tips anyone is kind enough to share is greatly appreciated!

To the devs, gl with your game and keep up the good work.

foxfire29

• Ensign
    • View Profile

One other thing on some of the youtube vids I notice they were able to choose between multiple pilot faces, I dont think I got that option? This totally is trivial and not a big deal but Im just curious as to which is the most full content rich version since I made my preorder?

Thanks all!

peterispete

• Ensign
    • View Profile

I can answer the question about pilot faces. When you are making a new character and typing the name for your character/deciding on using iron mode or not, click on the pilot face and you can pick what you want.

FlashFrozen

• Admiral
    • View Profile

First off, welcome, I hope you'll enjoy this game as much as I and many others have :P

For now, the campaign is not the missions, but the missions are a good way to get familiar in how to handle your ship, shields, and weapons.

Industry atm has yet to of been implemented, but it's been included in the skills tab as a bit of a tease

When you click the newgame button, you'll see the portrait of the character beside where you type your name, you can click that to choose how your "pilot" looks :)

There are a fair bit of mods out there, but not all of them may be compatible as the update cycle is around a month or less and they often times break some mods.

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=177.0   - mod index

Edit: bah ninja'd :D

foxfire29

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Thanks guys, and no worries about the industry, I actually can now see therd es been honesty regarding that, I enjoy what Ive played so far and fully appreciate its just getting going , Im about to have another run.

I have noticed that a couple of my questions were answered in the newbie faq thread!My bad! In my defense its just its been so long since anyone has exploited the sorta whole 2d rpg space niche so Im pretty psyched up for whats to come! Cant wait until the mining and buying stations industry is immplemented, this game could be something REALLY special and remebered for years to come if it keeps getting handled right, I also like the fact with it being an alpha theres still stuff to do and enjoy

Appreciate what you were saying about the MODS, warband was like that but now sorta of 1 year or so in the versions have settled, its to be expected that there will be lots of updates etc so np :)

Im away back on game, ow btw the game manual is well done

foxfire29

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Ok killed my first couple of ships i have a wolf class frigate and i stole an assault chaingun mk2 but i cant seem to find a mount point for it? I was thinking of replacing that laser at the front

Crud just reffering to the faq I bet its to do with this:

Blue circles are Energy slots. 
Yellow squares are Ballistic weapons
Green squares are Missile slots
Grey multishape are "universal"

and thats before i go back into game

Vulcan

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Ok killed my first couple of ships i have a wolf class frigate and i stole an assault chaingun mk2 but i cant seem to find a mount point for it? I was thinking of replacing that laser at the front

Crud just reffering to the faq I bet its to do with this:

Blue circles are Energy slots. 
Yellow squares are Ballistic weapons
Green squares are Missile slots
Grey multishape are "universal"

and thats before i go back into game

Correct, so in order to use that chain-gun you need a ship that has a ballistic point. There's also small, medium and large sized points on ships.
I believe the chain-gun mk2 is a medium ballistics weapon. Just play around for a little with everything to get a hang of it  ;D

foxfire29

• Ensign
    • View Profile

One final thing, I finally started to get a pretty nice fleet together, how is it I change my control to a new ship by default? Also is it currently possible to attack stations yet?

ps yes starting to get the hang of it, thought I was the bees knees until I tried to take on a carrier with my small fleet lol but yeah Im still making progress and the game is fun
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 10:07:06 PM by foxfire29 »

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile

Welcome! At the moment you can only change flagships when you aren't at a station. Hit 'f' while flying to open up the fleet menu, and there is a button to change flagships in the lower right.

Its not currently possible to attack stations (although I think at this point a mod could do this... hmmm....).

foxfire29

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Thank you Faago! Tbh im doing not to bad but a bit short on supplies so I think I am going to start again after running some of those missions to see how each of the ships are, was doing fine until I bought an attack sorta frigate with 2 med ballistics on the front then when I lost it; we;; it hit me hard hehe

Practice makes perfect I dont mind but just need to learn the ships and their loadsouts some more!

Cheers for all the help all, despite me asking a couple of things I found were already on the forum! Appreciated!

Doom101

• Admiral
  • Doom will always find you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
Re: couple of newbie questions plus preordered in faith so you devs keep deving
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, 10:40:11 PM »

One thing no one mentioned and i'm not sure if is mentioned in the newbie FAQ ( i was a noob before that existed and got a handle on the game before it was made and thus never read it) but with weapon slots, in addition to small medium large, and universal, missile, ballistic, and energy slots some ships have built in slots that CANNOT be changed ever, the thermal pulse cannons on the Onslaught capital ship are the only example i can think of atm, in some mods you'll find ships have Hidden slots, these are identical to normal weapon slots but in combat are completely invisible and hide the weapon as well, i'm unaware of any vanilla ships with hidden slots save most fighters.

When mounting weapons onto your slots in the loadouts the size of the slot obviously determines which weapons can go into it, however slots aren't perfectly exclusive, for example in a medium ballistic slot instead of having a medium ballistic you can instead mount a small ballistic if you think your ship needs one of those more than a medium weapon, however this only works one weapon size down( no small weapons in large slots) and does NOT go up ie no mounting large weapons on medium slots.

One last thing, make sure when your refitting ships that you try out your design in the simulation before committing ESPECIALLY if your pressed for cash and are refitting at a station, because if you decide a design doesn't work out while still in the refit screen you get refunded the FULL price of the weapons, whereas if you commit to it and leave the refit screen you can only get back a percent of your money.

okay i lied THIS is the last thing, Welcome to the forums, have fun!
When you can't go on, just accept your doom. It comes to all, it is inevitable.

Also I totally had the name BEFORE the cruiser.

foxfire29

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2012, 05:25:41 AM »

Thanks Doom for that very useful advice. Actually I have already made a mistake of buying a ion cannon was it ? No that wasnt the name but one shot used all the flux my frigate had lolol, I will use the simu from now on :)

Just to be clear as well there is no campaign as such? (not talking about missions screen) So in game the cirrent goal is fleetbuilding / combat with other ships in the system and lvling skilling up?

Btw in the future I have my fingures crossed you folks build new systems, or is there more than one system actually? I think I read somewhere its one solar system only?

Btw this isnt leading to a complaint Im well aware of the games alpha status Im just trying to be exactly clear whats there so I can build accordingly :D

------update just tried a vigilance class frigate, thought it sounded a sweet low lvl frigate but aiming the front weapons well because they
 were kind of to the back slighty was tough so Im going to try another ship unless anyone thinks that the ship Im changing is good :)

Btw guys :) I uncovered a tactic for me to use by accident, what happened was a chased a very small fleet expecting it to be crappy pirate ships but as it turns out it was a small fleet because it had been in a rumble with one of the brown factions mega fleets and was off trying to save its destroyer :D Well happy! because it said captain has no combat ships rdy to engage and I  auto boarded it!! Sweet!

----Final upate regarding something I could not find in the docs, basically when you look at the fleet menu in station and goto frigates or destroyers, theres a number in blue next to them in one of the corners, what relevance does this have?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 06:45:17 AM by foxfire29 »

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2012, 09:46:43 AM »

Thats the number of fleet points that the ship takes up - if you look in the upper right hand corner when in the fleet menu you can see a bunch of status bars. The top one is how many fleet points worth of ships you can command without penalties. The leadership skill raises that number :)

Tip: if you mouse over the icons next to the status bars you get more info!

firstattak1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2012, 06:30:51 AM »

So I don't think anyone has said this yet.
The campaign is just "make your fleet as large and powerful as you can" ATM but soon it will have more features. And if you get bored of fighting the same fleets try out a mod :D

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2012, 07:18:36 AM »

Welcome good sir!

This is a VERY active forum, It's safe to say you won't find a more friendly and useful forum out there

The campaign is constantly being worked on by the very capable developers, one of whom is Alex, Who plays a large part in managing any problems/questions you may have. If you ever need help, post in the bugs/support sub forum, I guarantee you will have an answer within the day :)

Enjoy your stay, Feel free to check out the large amount of mods. A good guy to ask about any coding problems is LazyWizard.
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)
Pages: [1] 2