Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: This game is way too hard due to AI ships amazing timing and accuracy.  (Read 12064 times)

dogboy123

• Captain
  • Boron military barracuda
    • View Profile
Re: This game is way too hard due to AI ships amazing timing and accuracy.
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2012, 05:14:58 PM »

IMO games too easy once you get even a single capital ship.
Unless you go against an Onslaught or Paragon ;D.
"I'm expecting an all-out tactical dogfight... followed by a light dinner.

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2012, 06:50:12 PM »

Get a few cheap fighter/hound kills. Rep at a friendly station to save time. As soon as you're able get an Omen frigate from TriTachyon base and just put two Antimatter Blasters on it and max out flux capacity. Use the ship system frequently on unshielded enemies and frigates and you should have no issue starting up. Don't forget to flux vent via v key and you'll be fine.

DelicateTask

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2012, 07:28:01 PM »

I found the game very difficult to beat at first, but I adapted. Now I can do very well at it, and I'm not even near the skill of some players here. I started playing when the missions were the only piece of the game available, and it was tough. Now you can at least configure some things about your ship and you have the ability to buy more. Use simulations to practice 1v1, then choose your battles well.

foxfire29

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2012, 08:34:10 PM »

Yeah, game start can be exceptionally difficult; it's not really balanced yet.

My suggestion would be, start with a wolf class frigate.  (No, I don't remember which answer to what question gives you that option - but you can hit escape at ship selection and try again until you find it.)

Then, go into refitting, and make the following changes to weapon groups:
group 1: both harpoon racks, alternating fire, autofire turned off - this is the weapon group you'll be using manually.
group 2: graviton beam, linked fire, autofire turned on
group 3: tactical lasers, linked fire, autofire turned on

Now, in combat against fighters, the tactical lasers will mostly just kill them; your only concern is keeping shields angled reasonably - or turning shields off if you're in close combat with a wing of Broadsword fighters; their kinetic guns won't do that much damage to armor, but will overload shields in no time flat.  Ideally, you want to fire off a harpoon or three at broadswords when they're just approaching being on screen (at maximum zoom-out) - that will at worst distract them a bit, and at best take out one of the three fighters before it's in range to attack you.

Against enemy frigates, use strafing to aim (hold down shift, hit any turning key, and you'll rotate towards the mouse) - this will let you accurately aim the graviton beam, even when its firing arc isn't displayed.  You'll need to let up on shift in order to turn shields to absorb salamander hits, but otherwise this should work fairly well.  Use harpoons primarily against high-flux, overloaded, or venting targets; the two unshielded ships you'll fight are likely to either dodge (hound), or shoot down your missiles (buffalo II) - though in the later case you can just spam-fire four to six missiles for a nearly-guaranteed kill.

And, lastly, the ship system.  It's a short range teleporter - moves you a fixed distance in the direction you're currently flying (not the direction your ship is pointed).  It also shuts off shields (so be sure to bring shields back up quickly if needed), and will re-orient your ship to face towards nearby enemies.  This is the crown jewel of the Wolf frigate, and why I suggest the wolf as the optimal starting ship when learning the game.  Missiles incoming and you have your shield pointed the wrong way?  Teleport.  Enemy ships starting to get into flanking positions?  Teleport.  It's basically a limited-use get-out-of-jail-free card; the charges are limited, but usually regen fast enough to be available when you need them.  (Oh, and it's also nice when trying to chase down fleeing enemy ships.)

Im actually using the ship components recomendations from here myself, thanks for that!

oranoron

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2012, 09:26:52 PM »

Thanks for the advice and welcome. I will keep that in mind and will definitely use a mouse if I end up getting the game myself. I have more question but I figure I should lurk more first to see if they are answered elsewhere.

Jazwana

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2012, 01:36:29 PM »

Re: Trackpad vs mouse.

It is true, a mouse makes it easier but once you're experienced at the game it is not too bad with a trackpad.  I go back and forth all the time between the two with no problem, the only time a trackpad makes things difficult is when trying to aim a fast-turning ship with hardpoints (basically, the hound.)

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2012, 12:23:45 PM »

I wonder if the OP is that one kid I showed the game to a little while ago.

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2012, 12:46:12 PM »

Not impossible, it's a small world. ;D

Myself i also struggled in the beginning, its easy now, well somewhat easy, the AI can get some pretty nasty shots in when you least expect it to, cant remember all the times I've been trolled by a buffalo Mk.II.

Mattk50

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2012, 01:07:24 PM »

main issue is that theres no way to make money at the start other than combat, nothing to ease players in like mining or trading.

Hypilein

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2012, 02:11:39 PM »

Re: Trackpad vs mouse.

It is true, a mouse makes it easier but once you're experienced at the game it is not too bad with a trackpad.  I go back and forth all the time between the two with no problem, the only time a trackpad makes things difficult is when trying to aim a fast-turning ship with hardpoints (basically, the hound.)

Yes, I'm trackpad only (although the apple trackpads are generally nice) and I don't feel I have a lot of problems. I generally try to only have missiles or hardpoint guns on manual fire. (Personal Favourite for Trackpad play: Tempest with Reaper in the Missile slot and Pulse Lasers. Front Shield + hardened Shield + Extended shields)

Hardlyjoking67

• Captain
  • I'm a different kind of buddy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2012, 07:58:00 PM »

My point of advice is to make sure not to buy the green crew unless you absolutely have to. They seem really stupid to me. Hence the name?  ::)

BTW, everyone's attitude on this thread is my reason for waking up in the mornings.  ;D

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2012, 08:02:33 AM »

My point of advice is to make sure not to buy the green crew unless you absolutely have to.

I feel the opposite way. I buy nothing but green crew, especially since the buff to crew experience gain. It doesn't take very long at all for those greens to become veterans (at least enough to crew your ships). Green crew also are great to buff your repair rate outside of engagements.

Hardlyjoking67

• Captain
  • I'm a different kind of buddy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2012, 01:58:16 PM »

Hmm... Maybe this is a factor as to why I keep losing then...

oranoron

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2012, 03:06:26 PM »

I played again yesterday and I have definitely decided to ask for the game for Christmas. I did much better when I realized the style of ship I would like to start with (the Wolf beam spamming).

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2012, 03:24:19 PM »

I played again yesterday and I have definitely decided to ask for the game for Christmas. I did much better when I realized the style of ship I would like to start with (the Wolf beam spamming).

Neat!  Glad to hear that helped.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.
Pages: 1 [2] 3