Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 706

Author Topic: Misc modding questions that are too minor to warrant their own thread  (Read 1700160 times)

maximilianyuen

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Misc modding questions that are too minor to warrant their own thread
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2012, 08:54:46 AM »

What factor determine the radius as well as the destruction power of such ship?

simply making it a capital class does not do the job ???

Flux capacity for the explosion's damage and collisionRadius for its radius.

@Plasmatic: Eugh. That's what you call "infinite recursion", not sure what's actually causing it in this case, though. Looking at the code, doesn't seem possible.

Thanks Admiral :!
Fleet construction in progress.

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2012, 10:52:11 AM »

Okay, I have this multi-offset beam weapon that can't hit missiles. Specifically, it seems to aim just to the side of them by a few pixels. Either way, it does roughly 400 fragmentation damage in one burst, which as far as I know, is enough to one-shot any missile, and even so, it often wastes several shots on one missile without doing anything to it. Doesn't matter what kind of missile. Sometimes it seems to be able to destroy them, usually when there is little transversal velocity involved. It hits fighters just fine.

Code
	"id":"brburst",  # this id must match what's in the spreadsheet
"specClass":"beam",
"type":"ENERGY",
"size":"MEDIUM",
"displayArcRadius":600,
"turretSprite":"graphics/weapons/arguspd_turret_base.png",
"turretGlowSprite":"graphics/weapons/arguspd_turretglow.png",
"hardpointSprite":"graphics/weapons/burstpd_hardpoint_base.png",
"hardpointGlowSprite":"graphics/weapons/burstpd_hardpoint_glow.png",
"glowColor":[190,205,52,255],
"hardpointOffsets":[12, -9, 12, 9, 12, 0],
"turretOffsets":[8, -9, 8, 9, 8, 0],
"hardpointAngleOffsets":[0, 0, 0],
"turretAngleOffsets":[0, 0, 0],
"convergeOnPoint":true,
"fringeColor":[231,251,91,175],
"coreColor":[86,96,46,255],
"darkCore":false,
"width":6.0,
"textureType":SMOOTH,
#"textureType":["graphics/fx/emp_arcs.png","graphics/fx/emp_arcs.png"],
"textureScrollSpeed":292.0,
"pixelsPerTexel":5.0,
"fireSoundOne":"beam_light_burst_1",
"fireSoundTwo":"beam_light_loop",

I'm not sure if it's a rounding error or something, but it's pretty much identical to the Guardian PD except it only has three beam offsets in total.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 10:55:51 AM by Cycerin »

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2012, 10:55:38 AM »

I'd look into beam speed and possibly turret turn rate - the comment on low transverse velocity makes it sound like it's firing at where the missile was and thus missing.  (Obviously, if it has the same values here as the Guardian, then there's something else off.  But "pretty much identical" implies some possibility of variance, so I figured this was worth mentioning.)

Edit: You'll find these values in the weapons spreadsheet, rather than the file you edited it above.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 10:58:04 AM by Wyvern »
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Cycerin

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2012, 11:06:52 AM »

I know. The beam speed is 100000 (i've tried several different speeds with no real change) and the chargeup has been shifted around too to try to troubleshoot. From 0 to 0.1 and so on. I'm pretty sure it's just the fact that it has three offsets that screws everything up. I thought I fixed it when I changed the offsets from odd to even numbers, but it was just a fluke.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 26, 2012, 11:13:07 AM »

Huh.  Well, next thing to try: save a copy, and then edit the guardian to have those specific offsets, see how it behaves.  If it starts missing, then it's definitely the offsets.  If not, then there's something else going on.  I'd try it myself, but I'm not at a machine where I can run the game.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 26, 2012, 11:18:20 AM »

There's a bug with the Guardian where it won't re-target quickly enough, wasting shots on an already-dead missile (i.e., firing at the spot where it used to be.)

But, this thing is medum (the Guardian bug was related to it being large)... so it really ought to behave the same way the Heavy Burst laser does. Having extra offsets shouldn't matter, as long as one of them is centered. A quick way to verify would be to convert it to single-beam and try it that way to see if that makes a difference.

The turn rate of the weapon is something else I'd look at.

Cycerin

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 26, 2012, 11:57:23 AM »

It doesn't matter what turn speed I use, that was one of the first things I tried to change. I verified that the problem is specifically due to the fact that it has off-centered offsets. If I set all the offsets to 0, the beam aims at the center of incoming missiles and destroys them. With three offsets, two to each side and one in the center, it does the weird "i am not aiming right at the missile" thing.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 26, 2012, 12:05:05 PM »

Oh hey.  Here's a random thought: does it matter what order the offsets are in?  If you put the one with zero first, for example, does that change the behavior any?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 26, 2012, 12:06:26 PM »

Good call. Was just about to post this - the Guardian-style ("convergeOnPoint") beams use the first offset as the centerline to aim along.

Cycerin

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 26, 2012, 12:07:59 PM »

Yeah, good call! That was the problem. Thanks alot, you two. ;D

CopperCoyote

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 26, 2012, 12:59:30 PM »

Is there a mod that decreases the frequency of the various supply convoys? Right now Corvus is so busy that the ships and weapons pile up faster than my green crews and I can lose them. I'd like it to feel more like a scavenger world(solarsystem?) than it currently does.

Alternatively is that something i can just edit by hand in the save file?
Itches are scratched. Back-rubs are savored.

LazyWizard

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2012, 12:52:50 AM »

Is there a mod that decreases the frequency of the various supply convoys? Right now Corvus is so busy that the ships and weapons pile up faster than my green crews and I can lose them. I'd like it to feel more like a scavenger world(solarsystem?) than it currently does.

Alternatively is that something i can just edit by hand in the save file?

Open up that save's campaign.xml and search for HegemonyConvoySpawnPoint. Change <daysInterval> to whatever you like for that and the following two spawn points (PiratePlunderFleetSpawnPoint and TriTachyonSupplyFleetSpawnPoint).

If you want this to be permanent, you would need to make a simple mod that replaces data/scripts/world/corvus/Corvus.java (just make a mod folder with a mod_info.json* and a copy of Corvus.java in the correct folder). At the end of the generate() method in Corvus.java, there are three lines that create the convoy spawn points. The third argument (after sector and system) is the interval in days between spawns, so that's what you would need to change.

If you use the second method, you'd need to start a new game to see the changes (or just use the first method to get the changes in your current game).

* Example mod_info.json:
Spoiler
{
  "id":"lessconvoys",
  "name":"Less Frequent Convoy Spawns",
  "author":"CopperCoyote",
  "version":"1.0",
  "description":"Lowers the amount of convoys spawned in the sector.",
  "gameVersion":"0.54",
}
[close]
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 01:20:31 AM by LazyWizard »

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2012, 09:57:38 AM »

Good call. Was just about to post this - the Guardian-style ("convergeOnPoint") beams use the first offset as the centerline to aim along.

Out of curiosity, is there any advantage to doing this?  Would it make more sense to have converge on point treat the offset as always zero?  As it is, you're limiting converging beams to odd numbers of beams; you couldn't make one (that looked right / had pinpoint accuracy for PD work) that fired just two beams.

CopperCoyote

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 28, 2012, 11:38:43 AM »

Thanks LazyWizard. I think i'll start with editing a new game's save first, and work from there.
Itches are scratched. Back-rubs are savored.

maximilianyuen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 29, 2012, 10:13:39 AM »

what is the "render missile hint" in the wpn file?
of course it's responsible to show the tip of the missile visually to know that the missile is loaded, but what decided how much/which part/what graphic is used for such visual hint?

and i have something else wanted to do with it...just made a little capital artillery with missile hatch which happen to have light indicator in my imagination.

is it possible to make the render missile hint to be a green light graphic, to replace the default red light in the ship sprite?

sprite
Spoiler
[close]

if it's not clear, here's the big one. i hope it's obvious enough which 14 red boxes are the missile hatch..
full render
Spoiler
[close]

just in case:

it's not ok to use green light as missile :)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 10:18:15 AM by maximilianyuen »
Fleet construction in progress.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 706