Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Planet Search Overhaul (07/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 718 719 [720] 721 722 ... 725

Author Topic: Misc modding questions that are too minor to warrant their own thread  (Read 1821598 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Misc modding questions that are too minor to warrant their own thread
« Reply #10785 on: June 13, 2024, 09:12:01 AM »

I'm suspecting they influence the distribution of those ships among fleets, but do they influence their chances of appearing on markets ?

Yes and yes. For example tankers are more likely to show up for sale on markets that produce a lot of fuel.

2. What does the COMBAT tag do ? I understand how it influences some parameters (like combining the CARRIER and COMBAT tags). But what would it do if I would put in on a ship that also has the FREIGHTER, TANKER or CIVILIAN tag (or any combination of those tags) ? Would they appear more often on markets ? Would the AI deploy them more often ? Would they be more common among fleets ?

It should make non-combat ships act like combat ships, but IIRC there isn't a vanilla use case for this other than carriers, so you'd need to give it a try and see if it actually works.

RoboticManiac

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10786 on: June 13, 2024, 12:21:54 PM »

Hi there, so I managed to get my ships in game, they can be produced by a colony with heavy industry, and they spawn in with the weapons the variants defined.
But... I can't seem to get them to spawn in one of the player colony defense fleets. They're base level blueprints and they're not locked, and I've set them to be part of the fleets via the doctrine panel in game.
Google isn't playing nice, and the various tutorials I've looked up don't seem to help with this small problem. So any tips would be appreciated!

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10787 on: June 13, 2024, 12:42:58 PM »

Hi! I think you probably need to add entries for your ships' variants to default_ship_roles.json - that's what the fleet spawner pulls variants from.

Selfcontrol

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10788 on: June 13, 2024, 01:21:56 PM »

I'm suspecting they influence the distribution of those ships among fleets, but do they influence their chances of appearing on markets ?

Yes and yes. For example tankers are more likely to show up for sale on markets that produce a lot of fuel.

2. What does the COMBAT tag do ? I understand how it influences some parameters (like combining the CARRIER and COMBAT tags). But what would it do if I would put in on a ship that also has the FREIGHTER, TANKER or CIVILIAN tag (or any combination of those tags) ? Would they appear more often on markets ? Would the AI deploy them more often ? Would they be more common among fleets ?

It should make non-combat ships act like combat ships, but IIRC there isn't a vanilla use case for this other than carriers, so you'd need to give it a try and see if it actually works.

Thanks for your answer ! Gonna tinker a bit with them :)

RoboticManiac

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10789 on: June 13, 2024, 02:03:07 PM »

Hi! I think you probably need to add entries for your ships' variants to default_ship_roles.json - that's what the fleet spawner pulls variants from.
Thanks for the quick reply! So I've already done this:
Code
{
"combatSmallForSmallFleet":{
"fcs_frig_dakota_standard":10,
"fcs_frig_echo_standard":10,
"fcs_frig_scythe_standard":10,
},
}
Which is the entire entry I've got for the default_ship_roles.json file. Assuming the formatting is good, the ship variant names are definitely correct- especially since it causes a crash when they're wrong. Is there anywhere else in the creation process I may have overlooked? And thanks for the help.  :)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10790 on: June 13, 2024, 04:40:56 PM »

Take a look at where the variants show up (in that file) for some stock variants in the base game. What you've done would only make your frigate show up in very small fleets.

Edit: to clarify, for frigates you'd also want to add them to iirc "combatSmall".
« Last Edit: June 13, 2024, 04:49:01 PM by Alex »

RoboticManiac

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10791 on: June 13, 2024, 04:58:21 PM »

Take a look at where the variants show up (in that file) for some stock variants in the base game. What you've done would only make your frigate show up in very small fleets.

Edit: to clarify, for frigates you'd also want to add them to iirc "combatSmall".
That was it, thanks for the help!

creature

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10792 on: June 13, 2024, 10:02:46 PM »

Hi, I was trying to make some hullmods affecting fighter stats and discovered that some mutableStats did not actually take effect on fighters when called inside applyEffectsToFighterSpawnedByShip(), namely all of the get...AmmoBonus() functions as well as getArmorBonus(). I was thinking, would there happen to be a reference as to what mutableStats commands also work for fighters?

Ruddygreat

• Admiral
  • Seals :^)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10793 on: June 14, 2024, 10:11:09 AM »

is there a way to get a ship's collision radius from it's hullspec?
not super sure if I've just missed it, but at a glance it doesn't seem to be possible

ninja edit Q - is there a way to add a flat amount of maintenance (not tied to any particular ship ship) to the player's fleet?

« Last Edit: June 14, 2024, 10:23:41 AM by Ruddygreat »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10794 on: June 15, 2024, 12:15:24 PM »

Hi, I was trying to make some hullmods affecting fighter stats and discovered that some mutableStats did not actually take effect on fighters when called inside applyEffectsToFighterSpawnedByShip(), namely all of the get...AmmoBonus() functions as well as getArmorBonus(). I was thinking, would there happen to be a reference as to what mutableStats commands also work for fighters?

There is no reference. But, this makes sense - the method is called after the fighter is already created. You could set the ammo on the weapons directly.

is there a way to get a ship's collision radius from it's hullspec?
not super sure if I've just missed it, but at a glance it doesn't seem to be possible

Ah, you know what, that really is just not there. Added a getCollisionRadius() method to ShipHullSpecAPI.

ninja edit Q - is there a way to add a flat amount of maintenance (not tied to any particular ship ship) to the player's fleet?

Not exactly, but if you take a look at he implementation of BulkTransport, it adds a flat amount of cargo space by distributing it across all of the ships in the fleet.

creature

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10795 on: June 15, 2024, 07:15:09 PM »

There is no reference. But, this makes sense - the method is called after the fighter is already created. You could set the ammo on the weapons directly.
Thanks! I'll do so.

banano of doom

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10796 on: June 18, 2024, 03:54:06 AM »

question
what makes this background 1px thin grid in the refit screen?
i can't find the corresponding sprite anywhere, so how?
Spoiler
[close]
Any and ALL sprites i ever posted on this forum are FREE to use. even if i'm using them myself. Don't ever, EVER ask for permission, or i will come to your home and EAT YOUR DOG!!!
i do NOT want to see my name appear in the credits section of any published mod and will consider it a personal insult.

Kaysaar

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10797 on: June 18, 2024, 07:29:16 AM »

Hi
I wanted to re-create vanilla weapon info tooltip
I already did it with ships with result like this:
Spoiler
[close]
What I mainly ask is what pattern exist with Ancillary Data?
As i saw that some only have one row, some have 5 rows etc etc
And some have different rows
Like what is main pattern with weapon info ?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10798 on: June 18, 2024, 08:51:23 AM »

question
Spoiler
[close]

It just draws the grid using a bunch of textured rectangles for the lines of the grid. I forget exactly what the texture is - probably line4x4.png or one of those. The color used is standardGridColor in settings.json.

Hi
Spoiler
[close]

Hi - hmm, I don't quite understand the question. The tooltip just shows whatever info is relevant for the type of weapon that it is - tracking, accuracy, etc. They're not all applicable to all types of weapons. I guess I'm not really sure what info you're looking for here that can't be obtained just by looking at the tooltips.

Kaysaar

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10799 on: June 18, 2024, 09:03:52 AM »

question
Spoiler
[close]

It just draws the grid using a bunch of textured rectangles for the lines of the grid. I forget exactly what the texture is - probably line4x4.png or one of those. The color used is standardGridColor in settings.json.

Hi
Spoiler
[close]

Hi - hmm, I don't quite understand the question. The tooltip just shows whatever info is relevant for the type of weapon that it is - tracking, accuracy, etc. They're not all applicable to all types of weapons. I guess I'm not really sure what info you're looking for here that can't be obtained just by looking at the tooltips.
Like what i am asking is for example :
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
[close]
On all three images Ancillary data have same damage type : Kinetic
But second one have much more info than first one
And third one have even more info than second one
How this is determined then ?
Pages: 1 ... 718 719 [720] 721 722 ... 725