Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 545 546 [547] 548 549 ... 710

Author Topic: Misc modding questions that are too minor to warrant their own thread  (Read 1720145 times)

Axisoflint

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Misc modding questions that are too minor to warrant their own thread
« Reply #8190 on: December 01, 2021, 07:48:53 PM »

Is it possible to create a scaling hullmod for purposes of increasing marine effectiveness?

For instance if I created a random ship sprite that had an integrated hullmod (so as not to affect balance with other ground support options), that functioned in terms of - 100 marines = x supplies, 1000 marines = x + 900 supplies (or whatever scaling was appropriate, ballparking).

I realise there are many ground support options already, I'm just thinking of trying to create a later game option to consolidate on to a larger, single ship.

Think of it as akin to Smaller freighter > Mid freighter > Atlas or Dram > Phaeton > Prometheus.

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8191 on: December 02, 2021, 02:00:41 AM »

Another basic one: If I have a ballistic weapon that uses missile projectiles, which bonuses (from skills and the like) does it benefit from?

the projectile will benefit from missile-buffing stuff (like eccm's speed & missile spec's hp buff) but the weapon will benefit from ballistic buffs, I found this out this morning whille messing w/ a kyeltziv technocracy ship
Thanks!

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8192 on: December 02, 2021, 10:02:16 AM »

Is it possible to create a scaling hullmod for purposes of increasing marine effectiveness?

For instance if I created a random ship sprite that had an integrated hullmod (so as not to affect balance with other ground support options), that functioned in terms of - 100 marines = x supplies, 1000 marines = x + 900 supplies (or whatever scaling was appropriate, ballparking).

I realise there are many ground support options already, I'm just thinking of trying to create a later game option to consolidate on to a larger, single ship.

Think of it as akin to Smaller freighter > Mid freighter > Atlas or Dram > Phaeton > Prometheus.

It should be possible!

(In general, it's easier to give a more useful answer to a question if there's already a demonstrated attempt to do something that's going wrong somehow, since then there are specifics to get into.)

bananana

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8193 on: December 02, 2021, 03:27:25 PM »

hello
what would be the proper way to accomplish the following:
Spoiler
starsystem with several stars
all stars orbit a specific empty point in space
there are stations and planets orbiting one of the stars
there are _also_ stations orbiting that empty point in space. and those stations have markets attached to them
[close]
i mean, i can make it, it works.
but there are problems, likely a lot more than i can see
one i found is with the system info window:
Spoiler
[close]
note the selected station supposedly orbiting tree stars simultaneously. it is actually orbiting that "empty space".
Any and ALL sprites i ever posted on this forum are FREE to use. even if i'm using them myself. Don't ever, EVER ask for permission, or i will come to your home and EAT YOUR DOG!!!
i do NOT want to see my name appear in the credits section of any published mod and will consider it a personal insult.

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8194 on: December 02, 2021, 03:41:42 PM »

The first thing that comes to mind is have an invisible "dummy" star, so anything orbiting it gets it's own listing.

bananana

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8195 on: December 02, 2021, 04:21:53 PM »

The first thing that comes to mind is have an invisible "dummy" star, so anything orbiting it gets it's own listing.
i considered that
but i'm yet to figure out how to make star invisible and non-interactible. or simply just non-interactible.
atm i'm using an invisible custom entity. which can be made invisible quite easily. but something doesn't work clearly.
Any and ALL sprites i ever posted on this forum are FREE to use. even if i'm using them myself. Don't ever, EVER ask for permission, or i will come to your home and EAT YOUR DOG!!!
i do NOT want to see my name appear in the credits section of any published mod and will consider it a personal insult.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8196 on: December 02, 2021, 04:35:02 PM »

Hmm - vanilla does this with some types of trinary systems, no? The ones where there are multiple stars in the middle of the system, orbiting a common system.getCenter().

Except for the "with stations" part. It's possible that the display showing stations is not working in this case, hmm - though in your shoes I'd make sure it's doing stuff the same way that vanilla is for that case.

The StarSystemGenerator class might be a good place to look - that' where this is done - but it has quite a lot of stuff going on. The addStars() method might make a reasonable starting point for the code-dive.

Edit: another thing to try would be to find a vanilla-generated trinary with all three stars in the middle, then add a station to that system, and see how/if that works out.

bananana

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8197 on: December 02, 2021, 07:01:49 PM »

thanks
yes, i looked into system generator before asking here
i haven't tried linking stars directly to the system.getCenter before, i thought for some reason that it's just coordinates and not an entity. doing that does solve the problem with multiplying stations. but they still stick to the system's primary star no matter what i try.

any advice on making invisible stars?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8198 on: December 02, 2021, 07:13:16 PM »

Hmm - nebula_center and similar stuff in planets.json? That has its own set of baggage, though, if that's the "primary" of a star system; I forget how much of it is configurable.

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8199 on: December 02, 2021, 07:19:59 PM »

I'm also curious about this; I have a system I'd like to turn into a nebula, and I haven't had much if any luck with it so far.

bananana

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8200 on: December 02, 2021, 07:26:34 PM »

yes, i tried nebula centers a while ago
but they still show up on the map and can be interacted with by player
looking at the definitions, they're literally just planets/stars with blank texture

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8201 on: December 02, 2021, 07:38:22 PM »

Are you calling system.setStar() on this "invisible" star? If you do that, there's just not going to be any recourse - the game will assume it's either a star or a nebula center and behave accordingly.

bananana

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8202 on: December 02, 2021, 08:37:08 PM »

i tried again with the nebula center
it kinda works, because it's a literal star there
but there's a couple of problems
first there's this weird squggle around where the nebula is located:
Spoiler
[close]
looks like a distorted corona.
then there's this weird object all the way on the fringe of the system:
Spoiler
[close]
if i physically fly to that object there's actually nothing there, it only shows on the map
i used the following code:

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #8203 on: December 02, 2021, 08:39:16 PM »

Here's the results of the cargo cult/trial-and-error attempt thing I did to create the nebula containing Prism Freeport in Nex, it may help.

(Checking the code, there's a part where it calls system.setStar(star), where star has already been removed from the location following its generation. Looks wack, but I don't feel like seeing what happens if I remove it. Possibly not having it previously made the system CTD due to not having a star.)

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8204 on: December 04, 2021, 01:18:21 PM »

So let's say I add a hullmod to the Diktat, and it changes ship builds enough I want them to use different variants for it.
1) Is there a way to prohibit the hullmod from being auto-fit on NPC ships?
2) Is there a way to make variants faction-exclusive? Or at least, only available to those who know the hullmod?
Pages: 1 ... 545 546 [547] 548 549 ... 710