Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 498 499 [500] 501 502 ... 706

Author Topic: Misc modding questions that are too minor to warrant their own thread  (Read 1700019 times)

Stormy Fairweather

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Misc modding questions that are too minor to warrant their own thread
« Reply #7485 on: June 01, 2021, 11:23:04 PM »

is it possible to have mercenaries needing credits instead of story points to renew contracts, WITHOUT removing the need to spend a point to hire em?

Sarissofoi

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7486 on: June 02, 2021, 04:07:23 AM »

is it possible to have mercenaries needing credits instead of story points to renew contracts, WITHOUT removing the need to spend a point to hire em?
yes all in the settings
you can change their wage and how long contract last and how much sp points is refunded

Stormy Fairweather

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7487 on: June 02, 2021, 04:23:31 AM »

yes all in the settings
you can change their wage and how long contract last and how much sp points is refunded

but not the cost for extending contracts, or any way to convert that to credits that i could find. to be clear; i want to spend a story point to hire a merc, but keep them after the contract expires with only credits.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #7488 on: June 02, 2021, 05:06:25 AM »

How to add extra industry or structure to a existing market as a mod?
Or change their faction allegiance?
I am taking about modifications that affect campaign start.
I know how to add it by modifying the files in main game folders(and it works well) but when I try to make it a separate mod(by taking file, add extra stuff) then I get wild results.
Like when switching faction ownership say from Path to pirate it still show as Path on big map and still spawn Path fleets instead of pirate one.
If any industry/structure is added it drop both production and accessibility to zero.
I suspect the econ files aren't merging properly; since the entries in star system economy JSONs don't have IDs (they're just placed in an array), the market is being duplicated instead of overriden.
You can use the replace tag in mod_info.json (look at Archean Order for an example) to make the game not load the vanilla JSON for the system, so only your file takes effect. The other way is to do the modifications to the market in code.

You'd need to override the rules.csv entries for merc contract extension. Look at the mercs_leavingOptions and mercs_convincedOpt rows.
Could remove the SetStoryOption call from that first rule (instead add a tooltip that displays the credit cost of extending the contract), then use AddCredits in the second rule to deduct the credits on selecting the option.

Stormy Fairweather

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7489 on: June 02, 2021, 05:33:30 AM »

You'd need to override the rules.csv entries for merc contract extension. Look at the mercs_leavingOptions and mercs_convincedOpt rows.
Could remove the SetStoryOption call from that first rule (instead add a tooltip that displays the credit cost of extending the contract), then use AddCredits in the second rule to deduct the credits on selecting the option.

ah, crap. that is beyond my skills. about the extent of what i do is tweak text files.

6chad.noirlee9

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7490 on: June 02, 2021, 05:41:26 AM »

Just had an awesome qol mod idea:  setting different weapon groups to a specific button (for those of us that just HAVE to pilot smaller ships)

It would be nice to be able to fire weapon group 2 and 3 with the extra buttons on the mouse.

Is this even possible without seriously overhauling what's currently in place?
edit: edit: maybe were just falling with style LOL.  make a bubble, make the space in front of it smaller and just fall forward

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7491 on: June 02, 2021, 09:18:16 AM »

Is it possible to implement both FleetStatsSkillEffect and ShipSkillEffect within the same skill?

You need to specify the right "type" for the skill effect in the .skill file.

to take advantage of this method, i'm trying to use an ExtraSalvageShownListener, however upon salvaging a research station i don't see my method (public void reportExtraSalvageShown(SectorEntityToken entity)) being called. is there another place i should be using it?

edit:
for those in the future, i used a ShowLootListener which has
public void reportAboutToShowLootToPlayer(CargoAPI loot, InteractionDialogAPI dialog)

from there i generate my own CargoAPI based on the dialog's interaction target's drop value and drop randoms, along with that of its salvage entity spec, and merge it with the loot passed to the listener.

(Right! And the first part was a bit backwards - ExtraSalvageShownListener would get called *when this extra salvage is shown to the player*.)

Just had an awesome qol mod idea:  setting different weapon groups to a specific button (for those of us that just HAVE to pilot smaller ships)

It would be nice to be able to fire weapon group 2 and 3 with the extra buttons on the mouse.

Ah, the game actually can't handle mouse buttons beyond two, due to some underlying library limitations.

6chad.noirlee9

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7492 on: June 02, 2021, 09:49:28 AM »

Is it possible to implement both FleetStatsSkillEffect and ShipSkillEffect within the same skill?

to take advantage of this method, i'm trying to use an ExtraSalvageShownListener, however upon salvaging a research station i don't see my method (public void reportExtraSalvageShown(SectorEntityToken entity)) being called. is there another place i should be using it?

edit:
for those in the future, i used a ShowLootListener which has
public void reportAboutToShowLootToPlayer(CargoAPI loot, InteractionDialogAPI dialog)

from there i generate my own CargoAPI based on the dialog's interaction target's drop value and drop randoms, along with that of its salvage entity spec, and merge it with the loot passed to the listener.

(Right! And the first part was a bit backwards - ExtraSalvageShownListener would get called *when this extra salvage is shown to the player*.)

Ah, the game actually can't handle mouse buttons beyond two, due to some underlying library limitations.

is it possible to (in the far, far future, perhaps even in a galaxy far away) convert starsector into a more versatile coding language?
or, rather, is that something that would be doable from a manpower perspective?  i have actually wondered about this frequently
edit: edit: maybe were just falling with style LOL.  make a bubble, make the space in front of it smaller and just fall forward

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7493 on: June 02, 2021, 09:58:20 AM »

is it possible to (in the far, far future, perhaps even in a galaxy far away) convert starsector into a more versatile coding language?
or, rather, is that something that would be doable from a manpower perspective?  i have actually wondered about this frequently

Ah, this doesn't actually have anything to do with the language it's written in. And, no, it's not at all feasible! But on the bright side, it's also not desirable; there's no realistic benefit to be had there.

(If you have a more specific question about the "whys" of this, I'd be happy to answer.)

Sarissofoi

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7494 on: June 02, 2021, 10:31:13 AM »

I know how to add it by modifying the files in main game folders(and it works well) but when I try to make it a separate mod(by taking file, add extra stuff) then I get wild results.
Like when switching faction ownership say from Path to pirate it still show as Path on big map and still spawn Path fleets instead of pirate one.
If any industry/structure is added it drop both production and accessibility to zero.
I suspect the econ files aren't merging properly; since the entries in star system economy JSONs don't have IDs (they're just placed in an array), the market is being duplicated instead of overriden.
You can use the replace tag in mod_info.json (look at Archean Order for an example) to make the game not load the vanilla JSON for the system, so only your file takes effect. The other way is to do the modifications to the market in code.

Thanks for pointer.
The Replace line help and it work now perfectly.

That's going to need more detail as to specifically what you're doing and what you expect the results to be!

Also the Galatia system is missing from econ folder.

That's not a question :) But: the colonies there get added to the economy by code. See TutorialMissionEvent.endGalatiaPortionOfMission()

Thanks for answer.
Cheers

6chad.noirlee9

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7495 on: June 02, 2021, 10:36:39 AM »

Time permitting I would absolutely love an in depth explanation.

One more question: I have edited the bounty rewards but the modded factions still only give the default 1000 per frigate.  Do I need to edit each modded faction?

Thanks for you time.

Long Burns

Morrokain

• Admiral
  • Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order
    • View Profile
« Reply #7496 on: June 02, 2021, 04:05:07 PM »

Ah ok I was looking at the wrong level for the example and thought it was GOVERNED_COLONY instead of FLEET. Works fine now.

Morrokain

• Admiral
  • Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order
    • View Profile
« Reply #7497 on: June 02, 2021, 10:44:40 PM »

(Sorry for all the questions lately. I've been doing a lot of experimenting with skills.)

Under what object would I call dynamic and edit the stat mod: COORDINATED_MANEUVERS_MAX? Is that the correct way to adjust the nav rating speed bonus?

Purpose:
I'm trying to add an effect to a skill that would reduce the maximum speed bonus possible from the nav rating for the enemy fleet if the flagship has the skill. Preferably I'd like to cut it in half. This is intended to not effect the nav rating ratio in any way but only the max bonus and only for the enemy fleet if possible.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #7498 on: June 03, 2021, 12:09:36 AM »

I've been trying to do some loadout shenanigans that aren't exactly supported by the refit screen, so I'd like to know if it is possible to trigger the hull "refresh" that occurs when selecting a different ship? That would make my life easier when I modify the ship variant with hullmods.

Stormy Fairweather

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7499 on: June 03, 2021, 02:38:32 AM »

how difficult would it be to disable scaling? and have missions be offered at any possible 'level'? always felt odd to me when a game scales with you. from a gameplay perspective i understand why the decision was made, but it just feels... wrong
Pages: 1 ... 498 499 [500] 501 502 ... 706