Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 459 460 [461] 462 463 ... 706

Author Topic: Misc modding questions that are too minor to warrant their own thread  (Read 1699680 times)

BanjoJohn

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Misc modding questions that are too minor to warrant their own thread
« Reply #6900 on: November 20, 2020, 09:02:10 AM »

So I modded  a ship into the game. It has shields. It's working in the game. I can turn the shields on when I directly control the ship. When I fight pirates who have the same ship I modded into the game, they can turn the shields on.  I do not notice the other ships in my fleet that are the same ship that I modded into the game ever turning on their shields.   

The base Ship_Data line that I copied and changed to make my ship was the Hammerhead,  is there anything I might be missing that I need to add to make sure that whatever controls the ships in my fleet know how to turn the shield on when needed?

Help me moddy-wan kenobi, you're my only hope.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6901 on: November 20, 2020, 09:16:41 AM »

No, there's nothing you need to do. Hmm - I suspect it might be confirmation bias on your part? The enemy AI would be using it the same way your AI is, there's no difference there.

BanjoJohn

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6902 on: November 20, 2020, 09:53:20 AM »

I guess I'll just need to increase my sample size to see if it is just my bias.   

Here's another little question, what exactly goes in to calculating the supplies used per day when ships are damaged/repairing? My current playing around with values in my mod has made the supplies used per day jump up from normal to +50 supplies used a day with only one ship in the fleet.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6903 on: November 20, 2020, 10:09:35 AM »

It's based on the "supplies to recover from deployment" stat, combined with the rate of CR recovery. So if say it's a 10% recovery rate, 20% CR per deployment, and 5 supplies for recovery, that means it costs 5 supplies to recover 20% CR/perform similar hull/armor repairs, and since that takes 2 days at 10%/day, it'll cost 2.5 supplies per day to perform repairs and CR recovery.

BanjoJohn

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6904 on: November 20, 2020, 10:32:07 AM »

Thanks, Alex!  I'll set up some formulas and check the values I have when I get back home.

Feuerholz

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6905 on: November 20, 2020, 11:19:17 AM »

So i added the Colossus tanker as a new ship as mentioned above, but now that i wanted to build it i found a peculiar behavior i can't explain. So at the end of the month i'm being deducted 200k credits for production (custom production orders) as if i would use the entire industry i have at my disposal right now, despite the ship costing 40k only. Also the ship is never delivered and is not removed from the production line, so it's being produced every month, for 200k, without results. The "Income" screen also shows 200k costs but does not show a ship, just a bunch of goods, from waystation i guess.

I tried this several times making sure my production capacity isn't used by something else, to no avail. Same behavior every time i want to produce this ship.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6906 on: November 20, 2020, 01:34:50 PM »

Ah - you need to add the variant to default_ship_roles.json

(This won't be necessary for production to work in the next release, btw, but generally speaking you want to do this anyway so the ship gets used by AI fleets.)

Morrokain

• Admiral
  • Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order
    • View Profile
« Reply #6907 on: November 23, 2020, 05:30:31 PM »

Are there any unintended side effects to changing a projectile's collision class to MISSILE_NO_FF so that it doesn't hit allied ships? I'm trying to create support weapons that can fire through allies that the AI is aware of. Would PROJECTILE_FIGHTER be better maybe?

Also is there a way to add something to the pierce set that would allow ship-based beams to do this?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 07:53:02 PM by Morrokain »

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6908 on: November 23, 2020, 08:21:01 PM »

Guardian/Paladin PD in vanilla can fire over friendlies. I think it uses:
   "collisionClass":"RAY_FIGHTER",
   "collisionClassByFighter":"RAY_FIGHTER",

Morrokain

• Admiral
  • Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order
    • View Profile
« Reply #6909 on: November 23, 2020, 08:50:23 PM »

Thanks!

I've done some testing (my word the AI does not like to be in your LOS so this is very difficult to actually test haha) and it seems that is the way to go for energy weapons and PROJECTILE_FIGHTER is the way to go for ballistics.

There is a PROJECTILE_NO_FF option that has the same effect, but the difference is that the AI will still hesitate to use the weapon if an ally is in LOS. With PROJECTILE_FIGHTER it doesn't seem to care much.

I looked at the CollisionClass in the API and I didn't think it was possible for beams so knowing that this is used by the Paladin is great! Thanks again I'll take a look at the implementation.

*EDIT* Wow yeah it is as simple as adding that to the weapon file for beams. I thought it would also require some fancy projectile editing and changing the spec class or something. Why did I think that I tried that before and it didn't work?? Well anyway it does so awesome.  :)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 08:57:57 PM by Morrokain »

bananana

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6910 on: November 29, 2020, 04:09:45 PM »

can i have some clarification about how exactly "minTimeToSplit":2, works? testing results are inconclusive. it's in the mirv missile behavior spec
thanks in advance
Any and ALL sprites i ever posted on this forum are FREE to use. even if i'm using them myself. Don't ever, EVER ask for permission, or i will come to your home and EAT YOUR DOG!!!
i do NOT want to see my name appear in the credits section of any published mod and will consider it a personal insult.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6911 on: November 29, 2020, 04:13:03 PM »

IIRC a mirv will split if within a certain range of the target, but not until minTimeToSplit seconds have passed since it was launched.

bananana

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6912 on: November 29, 2020, 04:55:47 PM »

yes, i thought so too
i tried setting it to 20 and 200 and 2000 and i didn't notice any difference whatsoever, it just splits almost immediately upon launch(or upon being armed?). is it actually seconds?
tried changing hurricane too, directly in vanilla files, no effect as well.
Any and ALL sprites i ever posted on this forum are FREE to use. even if i'm using them myself. Don't ever, EVER ask for permission, or i will come to your home and EAT YOUR DOG!!!
i do NOT want to see my name appear in the credits section of any published mod and will consider it a personal insult.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6913 on: November 29, 2020, 05:31:08 PM »

Ah - looking at the code, it also checks if the main body of the missile has an eta to target that's less than the remaining "until split" time, and if the eta is less than that, then it can also split.

bananana

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6914 on: November 29, 2020, 06:02:32 PM »

that's sad. so is there no way to make a mirv missile impact directly if the target is too close? without scripts, i mean.
Pages: 1 ... 459 460 [461] 462 463 ... 706