Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 432 433 [434] 435 436 ... 710

Author Topic: Misc modding questions that are too minor to warrant their own thread  (Read 1719579 times)

Morrokain

• Admiral
  • Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order
    • View Profile
Re: Misc modding questions that are too minor to warrant their own thread
« Reply #6495 on: June 04, 2020, 09:44:07 PM »

Has anyone attempted to make a mod that lets you build hullmods into a hull permanently? How difficult would that be to do?

Coming in the next Starsector update. (Story points allow you to do this iirc twice?)

tomatopaste

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6496 on: June 04, 2020, 09:50:34 PM »

Has anyone attempted to make a mod that lets you build hullmods into a hull permanently? How difficult would that be to do?
That's straightforward to do, and it's also going to be a feature of the next starsector update iirc.

Fen

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6497 on: June 04, 2020, 09:52:37 PM »

Coming in the next Starsector update. (Story points allow you to do this iirc twice?)

Oh, that's pretty cool. Guess I'll catch up with what's coming then, been away from the game for a year or so xP
I hope they make the limit and cost easily accessible to mod.

That's straightforward to do, and it's also going to be a feature of the next starsector update iirc.

That's interesting. I'm surprised no one made it in the meantime if it's pretty straightforward.
I guess the positive side to that is that if it's too restrictive/limited in the next update, it shouldn't be hard to add in another avenue to do it

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6498 on: June 04, 2020, 09:58:16 PM »

That's interesting. I'm surprised no one made it in the meantime if it's pretty straightforward.
I guess the positive side to that is that if it's too restrictive/limited in the next update, it shouldn't be hard to add in another avenue to do it

If you mean to have a hullmod be permanent on a ship and otherwise not removable, that is straightforward to do. Making a selected hullmod in the refit screen permanent upon selection for a cost (what I'm assuming you mean) would probably be much harder (never tried so I could be wrong though).

Fen

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6499 on: June 04, 2020, 10:06:05 PM »

If you mean to have a hullmod be permanent on a ship and otherwise not removable, that is straightforward to do. Making a selected hullmod in the refit screen permanent upon selection for a cost (what I'm assuming you mean) would probably be much harder (never tried so I could be wrong though).

Yeah, I mean paying to make a hullmod into a permanent part of a ship.
So for example, paying 250,000 to add Military Subsystems to a ship as a built-in feature, like how some support ships have ECM, ECCM, and/or Relay mods as features.

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6500 on: June 04, 2020, 10:11:23 PM »

Yeah, I mean paying to make a hullmod into a permanent part of a ship.
So for example, paying 250,000 to add Military Subsystems to a ship as a built-in feature, like how some support ships have ECM, ECCM, and/or Relay mods as features.

Then at a guess considering the UI work it would take- even if the API hooks existed (which I'm not sure they do)... probably impossible currently? Alex generally takes a lot of extra effort to make new features moddable though, so Story Points likely won't be an exception there, at least not permanently. (Good things take time. Great things take even more time. :) )

peeaa

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6501 on: June 05, 2020, 02:56:18 AM »

How do I overwrite faction files of vanilla starsector and the faction files of other mods? I have all the faction files and the portraits done but I can't get the game the overwrite the old portraits from other mods or the vanilla game.

You can't override faction files of other mods. You just have to change the files in the mod itself (personal use only - do not publish the changes without author permission).

For vanilla, here is the implementation: (So the replace section is all one entry with commas separating each replaced file path. The final entry should not have a comma.

"replace":[
          "data\\world\\factions\\pirates.faction",
          "data\\world\\factions\\neutral.faction",
          "data\\world\\factions\\hegemony.faction",
          "data\\world\\factions\\independent.faction",
          "data\\world\\factions\\player.faction",
          "data\\world\\factions\\sindrian_diktat.faction",
          "data\\world\\factions\\knights_of_ludd.faction",
          "data\\world\\factions\\luddic_church.faction",
          "data\\world\\factions\\luddic_path.faction",
          "data\\world\\factions\\persean_league.faction",
          "data\\world\\factions\\tritachyon.faction",
          "data\\world\\factions\\remnants.faction",
          "data\\world\\factions\\scavengers.faction",
          "data\\world\\factions\\lions_guard.faction",
          "data\\world\\factions\\derelict.faction",
          "data\\world\\factions\\poor.faction",
          "data\\world\\factions\\sleeper.faction"]

Thank you for the reply, I had the previous version of my mod done by manually replacing parts of other mods so I guess I'll have to stick with that. And personal use only ofc, from what I've seen by scrolling these forums starsector modding scene is way more strict with mod content usage than some other modding scenes.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #6502 on: June 05, 2020, 09:42:09 PM »

I'm creating a proof-of-concept campaign feature where two temporary, random fleets are generated and the player uses one of them to fight the other. The player does not use their own ships or officers acquired in campaign.

Right now, I can display the fleets and launch a battle from a rules-based interaction dialog. But there are two problems:
- The player's campaign fleet is added to the temporary player fleet and available for deployment in-battle, even though the campaign fleet isn't added to the BattleAPI
- I don't know how to detect battle completion and display its outcome

So, my question is: Is it feasible to do this sort of thing purely within the rules-based dialog, and if so, how do I fix the above issues?
(I would prefer not to deal with the complexity of the regular fleet interaction dialog if I don't have to)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 07:08:00 PM by Histidine »

shoi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6503 on: June 06, 2020, 04:03:39 AM »

Is there any simple way to override the effect of setPhase() disabling weapons?

creature

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6504 on: June 06, 2020, 06:48:02 PM »

Is there a way for a destroyed ship (a fighter) to not leave a husk when destroyed?

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6505 on: June 06, 2020, 07:02:38 PM »

Is there a way for a destroyed ship (a fighter) to not leave a husk when destroyed?

I *think* I asked this before and no. (At least not at the time I asked- which was a long while ago.)

Though, setting the break probability to 100% and adding a bunch of break pieces helps slightly reduce beam/shot mitigation at the cost of performance iirc- if that is the use case in this instance.

(The other two questions before this I have no clue or I would have responded. Never tried either of them and the one time I tried to interpret the fleet gathering code for battles ended in a tactical retreat lol. ;) )

creature

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6506 on: June 06, 2020, 07:27:10 PM »

I *think* I asked this before and no. (At least not at the time I asked- which was a long while ago.)

Though, setting the break probability to 100% and adding a bunch of break pieces helps slightly reduce beam/shot mitigation at the cost of performance iirc- if that is the use case in this instance.

(The other two questions before this I have no clue or I would have responded. Never tried either of them and the one time I tried to interpret the fleet gathering code for battles ended in a tactical retreat lol. ;) )
Oh, that's a shame. I was wondering cause I thought sometimes my fighters get literally vaporized when getting blown up, not leaving a wreck, and I thought it would be nice if it always happened like that. At least for this line of fighter I am trying to make.

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6507 on: June 06, 2020, 09:37:06 PM »

Oh, that's a shame. I was wondering cause I thought sometimes my fighters get literally vaporized when getting blown up, not leaving a wreck, and I thought it would be nice if it always happened like that. At least for this line of fighter I am trying to make.

I field a lot of fighters in my mod (3X that of vanilla at least) and it shouldn't be a problem to be honest. (Especially if beams are piercing- which is the primary downside to fighter wrecks from what I can tell.)

Cabbs

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6508 on: June 07, 2020, 04:45:05 AM »

I'm creating a proof-of-concept campaign feature where two temporary, random fleets are generated and the player uses one of them to fight the other. The player does not use their own ships or officers acquired in campaign.

Right now, I can display the fleets and launch a battle from a rules-based interaction dialog. But there are two problems:
- The player's campaign fleet is added to the temporary player fleet and available for deployment in-battle, even though the campaign fleet isn't added to the BattleAPI
- I don't know how to detect battle completion and display its outcome

So, my question is: Is it feasible to do this sort of thing purely within the rules-based dialog, and if so, how do I fix the above issues?
(I would prefer not to deal with the complexity of the regular fleet interaction dialog if I don't have to)

No-one else replied, and my knowledge is limited, but from what I can see the Battle API receives a fleet from the FleetInteractionDialog, which also has code that handles the aftermath of the battle right up till the dialog box is closed.  My brain says you're stuck making your own interaction to do this - at least I would assume doing this without an interaction would be even more complicated somehow.

If there is a way to do this in rules without your own custom interaction/fleet dialog then I would also like to know! Working on my own dialogues for other stuff.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6509 on: June 07, 2020, 08:32:14 AM »

You need to run an every frame script that looks for the ships you want and tells the engine to remove them if they aren't alive.
Pages: 1 ... 432 433 [434] 435 436 ... 710