Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 335 336 [337] 338 339 ... 710

Author Topic: Misc modding questions that are too minor to warrant their own thread  (Read 1727044 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Misc modding questions that are too minor to warrant their own thread
« Reply #5040 on: September 12, 2019, 02:08:21 PM »

IIRC this can happen if it doesn't have an entry in default_ship_roles.json. Fixed for next release, btw, but generally ships that can be made from blueprints ought to have entries there, otherwise they can't be used by faction fleets, including the player's faction.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5041 on: September 12, 2019, 02:17:35 PM »

Is it possible to make a fighter that delivers ammo to other ships?
It would have to move up to an ally, do an animation in there, the ally would get a bit of ammo restocked and then the fighter would return to the carrier. How could this be implemented?
You might want to take a look at the faction mod I made long ago, called ICE. It's woefully out of date and you'll need starsector version 0.65.2a to run it, but it had repair drones that would refill ammo, repair armor, and recover peak-performance time.

@Dwarden: I'm pretty sure starting options are modular, and that Nexerelin overrides other starting options intentionally, since it changes so much that those options might not be work well with it. I would suggest asking about that in the Nexerelin thread.

Dwarden

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5042 on: September 12, 2019, 02:23:31 PM »

thanks @sundog, i wasn't sure about it being modular
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 02:26:50 PM by Dwarden »

Ed

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5043 on: September 12, 2019, 04:00:59 PM »

You might want to take a look at the faction mod I made long ago, called ICE. It's woefully out of date and you'll need starsector version 0.65.2a to run it, but it had repair drones that would refill ammo, repair armor, and recover peak-performance time.

Ohhh juicy, time for some reverse-engineering! Thanks!
Check out my ships

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5044 on: September 12, 2019, 06:03:14 PM »

No problem! I hope you find it helpful  :)

Ed

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5045 on: September 12, 2019, 06:52:52 PM »

No problem! I hope you find it helpful  :)
I did a quick glance, still haven't had the time to deep dive and try to recreate the drones.

Right now I am trying to figure a way to make a special built-in weapon for one of my ships, then i gotta do more playtest more for balance and release a new version before figuring out the drones.

BTW Your ships are awesome, it is such a waste to see them left behind like that.
Check out my ships

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5046 on: September 12, 2019, 09:52:51 PM »

BTW Your ships are awesome, it is such a waste to see them left behind like that.
Yeah, it's a shame, but bringing ICE up to a level of quality that I would consider acceptable would take more work than I originally put into it. If you want to take it over you're more than welcome. You seem to have the skill set for it. There's an up-to-date Chinese version of it somewhere, so it might even be fairly simple create a working copy of it by translating that back into English.

bowman

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5047 on: September 12, 2019, 10:36:11 PM »

Is it possible to change the maximum engagement range of a fighter wing or is that stat un-alterable? I was going to simply look at Defective Manufactory since I figured it would do at least half of what I'm trying to do but it seems to be built into the game rather than out in the normal hullmods folder- I assume I'd have to decompile it or something but I've never tried to edit a .jar so I've no idea.

A search showed another discussion about fighters that highlighted SpawnedFighter actually referring to *after* the fighter is spawned, in combat, so armor values are set. Given this, is it possible to alter those values before the fighter even spawns or is the only way to do so afterwards?

Ed

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5048 on: September 13, 2019, 05:22:19 AM »

Yeah, it's a shame, but bringing ICE up to a level of quality that I would consider acceptable would take more work than I originally put into it. If you want to take it over you're more than welcome. You seem to have the skill set for it. There's an up-to-date Chinese version of it somewhere, so it might even be fairly simple create a working copy of it by translating that back into English.
If i run out of ideas for my weird ships it would be a nice new project, but the TODO list for my mod is growing faster than i can implement it since I am pretty slow at coding.
Check out my ships

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5049 on: September 13, 2019, 05:52:27 AM »

@Ed: Very understandable!

@bowman: You can view starsector's (API implementation related) source by unzipping \Starsector\starsector-core\starsector.api.zip. It sounds like you're looking for Malfunctioning Comms rather than Defective Manufactory. Normally hullmod classes that are in the jar ara compiled for a reason (Janino has all sorts of limitations), but in this case you shouldn't need to do anything like that in order to do what you want:
Code
stats.getFighterWingRange().modifyMult(id, 1f - ENGAGEMENT_REDUCTION * effect);

WeSpeakScots

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5050 on: September 13, 2019, 07:34:38 AM »

I'm a CS student interested in developing a small mod for Starsector to help learn Java and wanted to know if it was at least a feasible idea. I want to be able to use a secondary display to view in-game information. I understand that trying to extend the game's interface across multiple displays would be a big task, so my plan was to SSH into the desktop running the game and use a text-based "GUI" interface in the shell which could display additional information outside of the normal HUD (available missions from the intel tab maybe).

Perhaps this terminal-based application could be expanded with multiple pages and even the ability to accept inputs and manage inventories. Does this sound like something worth investigating?

MeinGott

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5051 on: September 13, 2019, 09:16:06 AM »

IIRC this can happen if it doesn't have an entry in default_ship_roles.json. (...)

Yes, that I skipped, thinking its not necessary if the ship is for my use only for now. Thank you.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5052 on: September 13, 2019, 09:23:55 AM »

Normally hullmod classes that are in the jar ara compiled for a reason (Janino has all sorts of limitations)

Just to expand on that a bit, when stuff is precomplied into a jar, it reduces the load time of the game. If there are *a lot* of loose scripts, that can really increase the load time - the compiling happens on another thread, so a relatively small number of scripts has no impact on load time, but the compiling can fairly easily take longer than all the other loading stuff combined, making it actually increase the loading time a lot. An example that comes to mind is the original Ironclads mod.

I'm a CS student interested in developing a small mod for Starsector to help learn Java and wanted to know if it was at least a feasible idea. I want to be able to use a secondary display to view in-game information. I understand that trying to extend the game's interface across multiple displays would be a big task, so my plan was to SSH into the desktop running the game and use a text-based "GUI" interface in the shell which could display additional information outside of the normal HUD (available missions from the intel tab maybe).

Perhaps this terminal-based application could be expanded with multiple pages and even the ability to accept inputs and manage inventories. Does this sound like something worth investigating?

Hi! Hmm. I think where you might run into trouble would be communicating between the game and this separate process. You'd need a mod to run on the game-side, naturally, but the game's classloader blocks most of the stuff in java.io for some basic safety/security reasons. So you'd probably need to communicate using various methods in SettingsAPI that let you read/write stuff in the saves/common folder (i.e. readTextFileFromCommon, deleteTextFileFromCommon, etc).

Ed

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5053 on: September 13, 2019, 10:14:29 AM »

I think using modding to study language is much harder, because not only you have to understand the language itself, but also all the APIs and systems used by the game, i would suggest making a standalone java application instead.
Check out my ships

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5054 on: September 13, 2019, 11:25:07 AM »

Does the hull frequency in a faction file need to be a integer? Can I put 0.5 as a value? How is the frequency calculated? If I want ships from a blueprint set (rsf_bp4) to be really rare, will the below be OK?

"hullFrequency":{
        "tags":{"rsf_bp1":8,"rsf_bp2":4,"rsf_bp3":2, "rsf_bp4":1
        },
Pages: 1 ... 335 336 [337] 338 339 ... 710