Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 233 234 [235] 236 237 ... 710

Author Topic: Misc modding questions that are too minor to warrant their own thread  (Read 1727224 times)

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Misc modding questions that are too minor to warrant their own thread
« Reply #3510 on: August 15, 2017, 06:30:41 AM »

What do all he new weapon slot types actually do?

Ballistic
Missile
Energy
Universal

Those are all simple

But what about the new ones? Is Hybrid ballistic+energy? ETc..?

Orikson

• Captain
  • Always Seen on Discord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3511 on: August 15, 2017, 08:49:33 AM »

What do all he new weapon slot types actually do?

Ballistic
Missile
Energy
Universal

Those are all simple

But what about the new ones? Is Hybrid ballistic+energy? ETc..?

Hybrid - You can put energy and ballistic type weapons in it.

Synergy - Energy & Missile.

Composite - Ballistic & Missile.

As with the Universal slot, the weapon fitted into them cannot be down sized (which means you can't put a small sized weapon in a medium sized slot like you can for pure type slots).
"A story teller and a trader. Tell me your tales and I'll tell you no lies."

Come join the Starsector Fan Chat! It's decently active.

Link: https://discord.gg/eb5UC

bananana

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3512 on: August 15, 2017, 07:44:09 PM »

sup!
what possible collisionclass can something have?
what exactly do different collisionclass mean?
and is it possible to make a missile NOT explode on hit, but keep flying into wall instead?
Any and ALL sprites i ever posted on this forum are FREE to use. even if i'm using them myself. Don't ever, EVER ask for permission, or i will come to your home and EAT YOUR DOG!!!
i do NOT want to see my name appear in the credits section of any published mod and will consider it a personal insult.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3513 on: August 15, 2017, 09:09:14 PM »

For the specification of CollisionClass or other core game-code things, open up the Starsector API, located in starsector-core, starsector.api.zip. 

Just unzip that file somewhere and use a search tool to look for terms in it (I'm using Abacre's Advanced Find And Replace, which isn't free but is awesome, but there are lots of freeware text-search tools and grep parsers out there).

Anyhow, as to the specifics:

Code
public enum CollisionClass {
NONE,
RAY,
RAY_FIGHTER,
FIGHTER,
SHIP,
PROJECTILE_NO_FF,
PROJECTILE_FF,
MISSILE_NO_FF,
MISSILE_FF,
HITS_SHIPS_AND_ASTEROIDS,
PROJECTILE_FIGHTER,
ASTEROID,
PLANET,
GAS_CLOUD,
STAR,
;
}

Now, as to your specific questions. 

what exactly do different collisionclass mean?
Essentially, it does what it sounds like; each CollisionClass defines what type of CombatEntityAPI this object (in this case, a missile) can collide with.  Why you'd want to have projectiles collide with PLANET, GAS_CLOUD, or STAR, I have no idea, but you can.

is it possible to make a missile NOT explode on hit, but keep flying into wall instead?
You can easily make a missile not explode on hit, by setting its CollisionClass to NONE, in its PROJ file, like this:

Code
	"collisionClass":"NONE",
"collisionClassByFighter":"NONE",

Now you have a missile that will never do a collision check at all... unless you write some code to do something if the projectile's close enough to (thing).
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

bananana

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3514 on: August 15, 2017, 09:25:34 PM »

okay, thanks.
i'm most confused by _NO_FF thing. what does it mean?

also

setting missile's collisionclass to ASTEROID, combined with physical impact script from blackrock made effectively a tug/pusher drone launcher.
Spoiler
[close]
the only thing left is to make ai fire them at both hostiles and friendlies.

also a question

can i use sounds from here http://freesound.org/ in my mod?

also a question

what do you guys use for balancing? i noticed that both codex and balance suite are atleast 4 yr old. and codex doesn't work.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 10:49:23 PM by passwalker »
Any and ALL sprites i ever posted on this forum are FREE to use. even if i'm using them myself. Don't ever, EVER ask for permission, or i will come to your home and EAT YOUR DOG!!!
i do NOT want to see my name appear in the credits section of any published mod and will consider it a personal insult.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #3515 on: August 17, 2017, 05:57:18 AM »

- Is there something I can put in commodities.csv to make CommodityOnMarketAPI.isPersonnel() return true?
- I made my own loot event (with a showLoot() call). How do I change the image and text at the top left?

Spoiler
[close]

can i use sounds from here http://freesound.org/ in my mod?
No reason you can't, if the sound's license permits.

what do you guys use for balancing?
Eyeball stats of comparable vanilla ships/weapons for a first pass (one shouldn't be obviously better for OP/supply cost than the other). Get a second opinion on this if one is handy.
After that, it's mostly playtesting to see if the thing behaves as expected in combat, and adjust accordingly.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3516 on: August 17, 2017, 10:10:49 AM »

- Is there something I can put in commodities.csv to make CommodityOnMarketAPI.isPersonnel() return true?

Currently, only if the demand class is "crew" or "marines". Already added a "personnel" tag in the dev version, though.

- I made my own loot event (with a showLoot() call). How do I change the image and text at the top left?

You can't, sorry - these are hardcoded. Not for any design reason, just for "had to get it done quickly at some point" reasons.

Drokkath

• Captain
  • Xenophilic Mutant Commando
    • View Profile
« Reply #3517 on: August 17, 2017, 08:08:40 PM »

Is there a way to add a different standalone version of crew? I've been meaning to add a version of crew that is a hybrid of crew and marines... and if not then I'd like to at least have gazer commandos for marines and regular gazer engineers, scientists and astronauts as crew.

And if all of the above can't be done then I just seriously need to have to remove the crew requirements to survey planets and also any thing else that requires me to have crew on-board so that I can do something necessary.

EDIT: Whoops, didn't notice the Alex's post here, tired and my vision is rather blurry currently. Darn.. so what are my alternatives? :-\
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 08:11:27 PM by Drokkath »
For I dipt in to the future, far as my gazer eye could see; Saw the vision of the world, and all the wonder that would be.

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3518 on: August 23, 2017, 04:16:25 AM »

Is there a hard-coded limit to the number of factions or number of inhabited planets?

Nicke535

• Commander
  • Degenerate Core
    • View Profile
« Reply #3519 on: August 24, 2017, 12:23:41 PM »

How do you make a "(D) Skin" actually spawn as that ship's D-hull? Simply creating a .skin file does not seem to work as intended:
Spoiler
Code
{
"baseHullId":"crys_halo",
"skinHullId":"crys_halo_d",
"hullName":"Halo (D)",
#"fleetPoints":7,
#"systemId":"",
"descriptionId":"crys_halo",  # optional
"descriptionPrefix":"While it may once have served the Crystanite, this vessel has been hastily welded together and modified by looters. The lack of expertise in crystanite ships has led the ship to lose much of its power.",
"restoreToBaseHull":true,
"spriteName":"graphics/crys/ships/looted/crys_halo_d.png",
"baseValueMult":.67,
#"removeHints":[],
#"addHints":[],
"removeWeaponSlots":[], # ids
"removeEngineSlots":[], # indices, as engine slots have no id in the .ship file
"removeBuiltInMods":["crys_armor"], # hullmod ids
"removeBuiltInWeapons":[], # weapon slot ids
"builtInMods":["crys_broken_armor"],
"builtInWeapons":{
  },
}
[close]
The file was copied and edited from the Buffalo (D), which (as far as I know) spawns properly.
Have tried with around 20 ships, both with and without skills, and none of them actually became this custom D hull; they simply became the vanilla auto-generated D-hulls.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but searching the forums yielded no results at all.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3520 on: August 24, 2017, 12:29:40 PM »

Is there a hard-coded limit to the number of factions or number of inhabited planets?

There isn't but I wouldn't go with more than 50-60 or so markets for the time being.

How do you make a "(D) Skin" actually spawn as that ship's D-hull? Simply creating a .skin file does not seem to work as intended:

It doesn't work like that - ships with damage will always be auto-generated D-hulls. Pre-made D skins are useful if you want a predefined D-hull to use somewhere (such as, say, in a faction's fleets).

The file was copied and edited from the Buffalo (D), which (as far as I know) spawns properly.

It doesn't, i.e. if you start with a normal Buffalo and recover it as a d-hull, it will *not* be the Buffalo (D) skin.

Drokkath

• Captain
  • Xenophilic Mutant Commando
    • View Profile
« Reply #3521 on: August 24, 2017, 01:14:30 PM »

Aye, what he said. In previous versions of the core game it always felt odd to me that D-hulls were a default and common ship types aka implemented certain variations and yet one couldn't wreck any other vessel into a D-class. The current .8 version of the game feels so right, as in as it should be and then some, pirates are pirates, pathers are pathers but the player is after all a mastermind-in-making character and so it makes sense for such a character to know much better about the tech between for example a healthy brawler-class and an unhealthy brawler-class of the pathers, means the ability to repair it if it is necessary enough.

Yesterday I was playing the game for a while and was wreaking havoc upon Luddic Church fleets and one of the medium sized fleets had two Mora-class ships, one of them I shot a barrage of my singular micro super swarmer missiles at along with slicing apart the large vessel with my super mininglasers. Point being that I rammed into a Mora with my super-ship while firing my micro swarmers followed by cutting beams, tore that Mora into about a dozen pieces or more, most likely beyond repair I thought at the time...

...guess what? Upon watching what ships I could recover, recovery sheet included not only one Mora that didn't get such harsh blast apart treatment.. it also included the one I just wrecked into different shapes and sizes of debris heading into 8 different directions. And to top it all of, it had only three debuff hullmods. Made me go "wait, what!??", life is cool sometimes. :D
The cause of it I can think of is probably that I didn't disintegrate that Mora's parts and so merely only broke off everything it seems, even defeated capitals are sturdy enough to withstand my fire barrage for a while until breaking point.

Apart from that I've pretty much found the right kind of overpowered super-weaponry and overpowered super-ship level(s). Not too over-the-top of over-the-top and not too under over-the-top of over-the-top, not sure what I mean by that myself but basically the gist of it is that I can still play with smaller hostile vessels as if they were a cat's prey or a toy by minimal short click to send out as little firepower as possible and having fun with the fleeing ships while the crew there crap their pants.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 01:48:44 PM by Drokkath »
For I dipt in to the future, far as my gazer eye could see; Saw the vision of the world, and all the wonder that would be.

Nicke535

• Commander
  • Degenerate Core
    • View Profile
« Reply #3522 on: August 25, 2017, 06:39:07 AM »

It doesn't work like that - ships with damage will always be auto-generated D-hulls. Pre-made D skins are useful if you want a predefined D-hull to use somewhere (such as, say, in a faction's fleets).

It doesn't, i.e. if you start with a normal Buffalo and recover it as a d-hull, it will *not* be the Buffalo (D) skin.

Aha, that explains a lot. Well then, that made my life slightly harder...

Follow-up question: is there any call I can make in the campaign to detect whether a ship has been recovered? Or will i simply have to check whether a ship has D-mods and replace them thereafter?

EDIT: Found out that there is a isDHull check, so this question is unecessary.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 12:48:26 PM by Nicke535 »

Nicke535

• Commander
  • Degenerate Core
    • View Profile
« Reply #3523 on: August 25, 2017, 02:29:04 PM »

Ok, another (maybe dumb) question: what, exactly, is the .GetFleetMemberId function used for? After searching through most fleet-based code, I have yet to find any function that actually takes the "Fleet Member ID" as an argument.

Follow-up to that question, how would I go about finding a specific ship's related FleetMemberAPI? Casting does not work (obviously), and all functions in FleetAPI seems to use a sorting method that cannot be returned from the ShipAPI. I'm running tests to try and circumvent the process altogether, but if there is a way to get a FleetMemberAPI from a ShipAPI, it would streamline the process immensely.

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3524 on: August 26, 2017, 03:28:22 AM »

A completely *** question from someone who never programed in Java.

Near as I can tell, .jar is just compressed, complied files.
.class are complied .java files, but java files by themselves work by being processed at run-time.

So making a .jar is not strictly necessary, right?
A mod should work with just .java file in proper directories.
Pages: 1 ... 233 234 [235] 236 237 ... 710