Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 214 215 [216] 217 218 ... 706

Author Topic: Misc modding questions that are too minor to warrant their own thread  (Read 1700468 times)

Durendal5150

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Misc modding questions that are too minor to warrant their own thread
« Reply #3225 on: April 28, 2017, 04:24:34 PM »

snip

I knew that was there but hadn't considered it. Does the AI even consider the empty canister as a valid target? I assume that NO_AI simply keeps it from trying to fly around itself. If it doesn't read as a live weapon, it wouldn't really work as a decoy, I don't think.

My intent had been to create a torpedo that separates into a pile of decoys and about 3-5 EFP skeets similar to a CBU-97.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3226 on: April 28, 2017, 04:26:29 PM »

snip

I knew that was there but hadn't considered it. Does the AI even consider the empty canister as a valid target? I assume that NO_AI simply keeps it from trying to fly around itself. If it doesn't read as a live weapon, it wouldn't really work as a decoy, I don't think.

My intent had been to create a torpedo that separates into a pile of decoys and about 3-5 EFP skeets similar to a CBU-97.

Well, my point is that you don't have to have the "empty" spec be an inert projectile. You could have an MIRV missile where it's "warhead" spec is a decoy flare, and it's "empty" spec is a regular torpedo or something. All it's calling is a projectile file. What's in that file is irrelevant to the rest of the missile.

... You could even make it another MIRV... Oh no...

Durendal5150

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3227 on: April 28, 2017, 04:35:45 PM »

Well, my point is that you don't have to have the "empty" spec be an inert projectile. You could have an MIRV missile where it's "warhead" spec is a decoy flare, and it's "empty" spec is a regular torpedo or something. All it's calling is a projectile file. What's in that file is irrelevant to the rest of the missile.

... You could even make it another MIRV... Oh no...

Ahh, gotcha. That might actually work to make a series of charges that go off in stages. Which gives me ideas.

With custom missile AI.

With custom missile AI and advanced scripting to create a "fake beam".

With custom missile AI.

Any existing tutorials for how to get started with that?

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #3228 on: April 28, 2017, 04:55:04 PM »

Not really? Reference other mods but do not copy their code exactly without asking for permission.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #3229 on: April 28, 2017, 10:04:54 PM »

There is a few custom missile AI to use in the Code Dump along samples to do a lot of other interesting things.
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=6452.0

Spardok

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3230 on: April 28, 2017, 11:05:13 PM »

So i'm looking to modify a few of the base skills. I tried unpacking the api and editing the base skills from there, and I have tried throwing it in as a mod folder. Neither of which seems to work... In the mod folder I have the file setup as: C:\Program Files (x86)\Fractal Softworks\Starsector\mods\Maint Costs\starfarer.api\com\fs\starfarer\api\impl\campaign\skills\FleetLogistics. So I am unsure what I am doing wrong here.

Thanks for any help.

D00D

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3231 on: April 29, 2017, 04:58:02 AM »

Anyway to make a projectile's sprite spin? I have a mini-blackhole I plan to sent hurling towards the enemy. Do I just use a gif sprite or is there some code fiddling I need to do?

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #3232 on: April 29, 2017, 05:05:23 AM »

So i'm looking to modify a few of the base skills. I tried unpacking the api and editing the base skills from there, and I have tried throwing it in as a mod folder. Neither of which seems to work... In the mod folder I have the file setup as: C:\Program Files (x86)\Fractal Softworks\Starsector\mods\Maint Costs\starfarer.api\com\fs\starfarer\api\impl\campaign\skills\FleetLogistics. So I am unsure what I am doing wrong here.
You can't overwrite vanilla code directly, and anything not in data/skills needs to be compiled into a .jar anyway.
Try this (untested):

mods\Maint Costs\data\scripts\campaign\skills\FleetLogistics.java

Then include a copy of data/characters/skills/fleet_logistics.skill in your mod, replacing the contents with the following:

Code: json
{
"effectGroups":[
{
"name":"Level 1",
"requiredSkillLevel":1,
"effectBasedOnLevel":false,
"effects":[
{"type":"ALL_SHIPS_IN_FLEET", "script":"data.scripts.campaign.skills.FleetLogistics$Level2"},
]
},
{
"name":"Level 2",
"requiredSkillLevel":2,
#{"type":"ALL_SHIPS_IN_FLEET", "script":"data.scripts.campaign.skills.FleetLogistics$Level2"},
{"type":"FLEET", "script":"data.scripts.campaign.skills.FleetLogistics$Level1B"},
]
},
{
"name":"Level 3",
"requiredSkillLevel":3,
{"type":"ALL_SHIPS_IN_FLEET", "script":"ddata.scripts.campaign.skills.FleetLogistics$Level3"},
]
},
],
}

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3233 on: April 29, 2017, 01:37:53 PM »

the sound file show hostile, neutral and friendly music for markets and encounters.
The market is self-explanatoriy - type of music playing when you visit the market depending on relation to faction

But encounter - is that a music that players ONLY when a fleet intercepts you (like cargo scan or asking you to activate transponder)?
Since that interaction only lasts a few seconds, is it even worth it to implement something like that? A few seconds of different music?

What about combat music WHILE fighting faction X?

Toxcity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3234 on: April 29, 2017, 08:51:16 PM »

Is there anyway to force a weapon to fire? I'm talking about a decorative weapon.

the sound file show hostile, neutral and friendly music for markets and encounters.
The market is self-explanatoriy - type of music playing when you visit the market depending on relation to faction

But encounter - is that a music that players ONLY when a fleet intercepts you (like cargo scan or asking you to activate transponder)?
Since that interaction only lasts a few seconds, is it even worth it to implement something like that? A few seconds of different music?

What about combat music WHILE fighting faction X?

Encounter music is only played when encountering another fleet. Their good for just breaking up the campaign music with something a bit different and/or getting you prepped for a fight. I don't think per-faction music is a thing. I am not 100% on that though.

Calodine

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3235 on: April 29, 2017, 10:07:12 PM »

If you add new hullmods, and they aren't set to be unlocked by default, will they randomly generate as loot automatically, or do you need to set that manually?

What determines which mods show up in shops - manually set, or based on tier?

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3236 on: April 30, 2017, 02:30:42 AM »

Encounter music is only played when encountering another fleet. Their good for just breaking up the campaign music with something a bit different and/or getting you prepped for a fight. I don't think per-faction music is a thing. I am not 100% on that though.

Well that's a dissapointment. It takes you 3 seconds to select a response, that can't even be called "music", more of a sound effect.

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3237 on: April 30, 2017, 03:45:01 AM »

How the hell do I open the music.bin?

It doesn't look like it's a calssical .bin file magic ISO can't covert it.

MinusUdn

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3238 on: April 30, 2017, 08:13:58 AM »

Is it posible to change the owner of a vanilla planet/base?

Toxcity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3239 on: April 30, 2017, 11:49:39 AM »

How the hell do I open the music.bin?

It doesn't look like it's a calssical .bin file magic ISO can't covert it.

Just open it like you would an archive; with something like 7zip or Winrar.
Pages: 1 ... 214 215 [216] 217 218 ... 706