Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 710

Author Topic: Misc modding questions that are too minor to warrant their own thread  (Read 1719149 times)

Calodine

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Misc modding questions that are too minor to warrant their own thread
« Reply #3210 on: April 27, 2017, 04:36:03 PM »

Mm, I could be blind, but I can't see 'em - Found the covers, which is I THINK what you meant, but that's not it. And I've gone through the weapon sprite list four times and can't see 'em there.

I just want the base turret/hardpoint sprites to stick on a ship - the oldoldold ship editor used to let you add them to the sprite, but that thing hasn't worked since 5.2 or so :P

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3211 on: April 27, 2017, 06:39:29 PM »

Mm, I could be blind, but I can't see 'em - Found the covers, which is I THINK what you meant, but that's not it. And I've gone through the weapon sprite list four times and can't see 'em there.

I just want the base turret/hardpoint sprites to stick on a ship - the oldoldold ship editor used to let you add them to the sprite, but that thing hasn't worked since 5.2 or so :P

Ohhhh, you mean the actual base sprite. I misunderstood. Those are part of the ship sprites themselves.

Fortunately you don't have to do any annoying cropping because I've done it for you! I'm happy to provide my standard "mount palette" which I use for spriting. Feel free to save it and use it for reference. You can just select the mount you want and then copy-paste it onto your sprites.

Calodine

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3212 on: April 27, 2017, 06:46:59 PM »

Thats uh, that's so much better than what I wound up going with - I lasso'd off a hammerhead and erased until it wasn't completely hideous. Thanks!

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3213 on: April 27, 2017, 06:56:12 PM »

No problem. :D Having that image as a reference to copy-paste from is super useful, no lie.

Buttery

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3214 on: April 27, 2017, 07:29:02 PM »

Is there a tutorial or something on making custom hull mods/ship systems?

Also for ship data would I have to create a separate sprite for the breakprob and pieces, or is that handled by the game?

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #3215 on: April 27, 2017, 07:31:41 PM »

depends on what you're looking for, this is a good place to start to look for tutorials:

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=3342.0

breakprob and pieces are handled by the game, you just put the numbers in and it'll do the rest
mmm.... tartiflette

Buttery

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3216 on: April 27, 2017, 07:36:22 PM »

depends on what you're looking for, this is a good place to start to look for tutorials:

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=3342.0

breakprob and pieces are handled by the game, you just put the numbers in and it'll do the rest

Well, I'm more so looking for how to make a custom hull mod or ship system to use, like Auxiliary Thrusters or Maneuvering Jets for example. And alrightie, thanks.

Tufted Titmouse

• Lieutenant
  • Fire the missiles. All of them.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3217 on: April 27, 2017, 07:52:10 PM »

Where would one be able to adjust the tracking ability of missiles? Would it be in the .proj file, the .wpn file, or in the .CSV?
Edit: found it
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 07:54:27 PM by Tufted Titmouse »

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3218 on: April 28, 2017, 05:52:47 AM »

HMm...is it possible to have a set of different music tracks for space travel and hyperspace travel?

Durendal5150

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3219 on: April 28, 2017, 08:56:45 AM »

'lo all. Long time no see. New update has got me somewhat interested in poking my head in again, and i've got a few Modding Questions That Are Too Minor To Warrant Their Own Thread™. Missile related, mostly.

1: Is it possible to make a MIRV that discharges more than one class of projectile at a time? I want to make a sort of heavy MIRV that spits out a bunch of decoys in addition to the real payload.

2: Is it possible to make missiles that fire a beam-type weapon? I vaguely remember it being discussed way back when.

3: That makes me think, can missiles spawn things other than projectiles using the MIRV code? Could I make a big stupid torpedo that vomits out a cloud of short-lived assault drones?

EDIT 4: Actually, the above has got me thinking; is it possible to make a weapon item an illegal commodity?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 09:08:22 AM by Durendal5150 »

Calodine

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3220 on: April 28, 2017, 10:12:06 AM »

In the same vein, is it possible to force a MIRV to split?

For that matter, do they have to be missiles? I've been testing, but atm mine's so broken I can't tell what is and isn't working :P
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 10:23:24 AM by Calodine »

Durendal5150

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3221 on: April 28, 2017, 11:11:24 AM »

For that matter, do they have to be missiles? I've been testing, but atm mine's so broken I can't tell what is and isn't working :P

There I'm not sure. I *think* it should work on any projectile. And even if it doesn't, a 'missile' with no engines or guidance shot out of a ballistic weapon won't be identifiable as such by the player.

Calodine

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3222 on: April 28, 2017, 11:20:57 AM »

Yeah, I started off with unguided missiles, and wound up with some hella weird behavior - They'd only split if the shot would hit, and the second stage would lose all speed and sit in space forever until something flew past, where they'd split and fire :P

A probably easier question - Gave up with the MIRV idea for new, tried to make a proper shotgun. Can you apply spread to barrels individually? At the moment, I can't seem to get more than an innacurate chaingun.

Edit: SORTA got it working, but it's still a predictable spread rather than 'bullets go somewhere in the cone'
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 11:38:14 AM by Calodine »

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #3223 on: April 28, 2017, 02:12:12 PM »

'lo all. Long time no see. New update has got me somewhat interested in poking my head in again, and i've got a few Modding Questions That Are Too Minor To Warrant Their Own Thread™. Missile related, mostly.

1: Is it possible to make a MIRV that discharges more than one class of projectile at a time? I want to make a sort of heavy MIRV that spits out a bunch of decoys in addition to the real payload.

2: Is it possible to make missiles that fire a beam-type weapon? I vaguely remember it being discussed way back when.

3: That makes me think, can missiles spawn things other than projectiles using the MIRV code? Could I make a big stupid torpedo that vomits out a cloud of short-lived assault drones?

EDIT 4: Actually, the above has got me thinking; is it possible to make a weapon item an illegal commodity?

With custom missile AI.

With custom missile AI and advanced scripting to create a "fake beam".

With custom missile AI.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3224 on: April 28, 2017, 02:30:05 PM »

Technically it's in the code for MIRVs to do this already.  8) Sadly I don't believe the secondary projectile can do damage, but if you look at the stock Hurricane MIRV projectile set you'll find both the projectile ("type_1_mirv"), the warhead ("mirv_warhead"), and something called "type_1_mirv_empty", which is by default commented out of the MIRV first projectile code:

Code
"behaviorSpec":{"behavior":"MIRV",
"projectileSpec":"mirv_warhead",
#"emptySpec":"type_1_mirv_empty",
...}

If you uncomment that for your game, it causes the missile to spawn an additional "inert" projectile (the empty projectile file is a missile but has the tag "NO_AI") upon splitting, which displays as if the initial propulsion stage of the missile carries on for a bit after it has ejected all the warheads. I don't believe it does any damage, but there probably isn't anything stopping you putting a non-inert projectile in the "emptySpec" for your missile.

Man, this actually sounds like a cool idea. I might test this myself. ;)
Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 710