Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 706

Author Topic: Misc modding questions that are too minor to warrant their own thread  (Read 1700521 times)

Takion Kasukedo

• Admiral
  • No longer drinking (Alcohol that is)
    • View Profile
Re: Misc modding questions that are too minor to warrant their own thread
« Reply #3060 on: March 12, 2017, 06:52:23 AM »

Interesting.

So phase charges are possible. I'll have to experiment when I get into Java Coding.
Is now able to cook a decent Creamy Salmon Pasta, amok other things.

Still loves purple. Still not skilled enough to make a mod that doesn't get that one damn error.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3061 on: March 12, 2017, 09:43:44 AM »

Is there a specific way for projectiles to be unaffected by ship velocity?

Hmm - if you made it a missile with very high acceleration, it'd max out at its own top speed quickly and the ship's velocity component would be zeroed out. But then it'd be limited to 600 top speed.

Could also write a script that does this (sets the ship-velocity component to 0), though naturally that's more involved.

And how can you tie a maneuverability system to right-click?

There are going to be issues if you try to do that - for one thing, it'll always use the phase cloak AI, iirc.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #3062 on: March 12, 2017, 06:00:38 PM »

@Takion Kasukedo

The easiest way to do what you want is something like this in a .system file.

{
   "id":"exigency_superCIGEN",
   "type":"PHASE_CLOAK",
   "aiType":"CUSTOM",

"aiScript":"data.shipsystems.scripts.ai.exigency_SuperCIGENAI",
   "statsScript":"data.shipsystems.scripts.exigency_superCIGENStats",

"fadeActivationSoundOnChargedown":false,

"aiHints":{}
}

In effect, creating a ship system to do whatever on right click, using methods not much different from how normal ship systems are created. There is an issue though, that it will lack any sort of UI indicator which can be solved via an everyframe to add a custom one. The most major difference is in the scripts that you call ShipCommand.TOGGLE_SHIELD_OR_PHASE_CLOAK to activate the system. Anyways, this is fairly advanced modding so good luck!

whatdoesthisbuttondo

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3063 on: March 13, 2017, 03:17:38 AM »

Is it possible to have (fixed) shield arcs on two opposing sides of a vessel, i.e. fixed 90 degrees port and starboard?

This being a ship system instead of an actual vanilla shield would fine.

And in a somewhat related question, is it possible for projectiles/missiles to have the ability to pass through a shield,
i.e. bypass the shield arc without doing damage to it, and hitting directly to armor/hull?

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3064 on: March 13, 2017, 03:41:10 AM »

These are fun questions, so even with my limited experience, I'm going to have a go at answering while thinking very hard about what they would entail.

Is it possible to have (fixed) shield arcs on two opposing sides of a vessel, i.e. fixed 90 degrees port and starboard?

From what I've seen in all my experience with vanilla and modded Starsector... Maybe. The first thing that comes to mind is something like what Tartiflette has in the wonderful SCY Nation mod (http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=8010.0), in which some ships are armoured using independent vessels that can be destroyed separately to the main hull of the ship. That uses fancy code though that I don't want to delve into myself. XD

A simpler way to do what you're looking for is to have a custom drone ship system that launches two [invisible?] drones and keeps them in fixed positions facing apart on either side of the ship (see the Apogee's Sensor Drones for static drones). These custom drones would have 90 degree front-facing shields with a disproportionately large radius, and appear to give their mothership 90 degree fixed broadside shields on both the port and starboard sides. Being independent from the mothership sadly means that damage taken to those shields wouldn't affect the mothership's flux capacity at all, so you risk losing some immersion unless you specifically say "there are drones here producing the shields, not the ship itself".

This is actually a method I believe is related to upcoming features of orbital stations (http://fractalsoftworks.com/2016/09/23/orbital-stations-in-combat/). I'm thinking specifically about this particular image:

Spoiler

[close]

And in a somewhat related question, is it possible for projectiles/missiles to have the ability to pass through a shield,
i.e. bypass the shield arc without doing damage to it, and hitting directly to armor/hull?

Again, I believe the SCY Nation has a "Phase Missile Launcher", that fires missiles which actually use a modified phase cloak to evade point defence fire and obstacles until they are near enough their target to drop back into normal space and impact - although I don't think they can phase through a shield and pop out on the other side. Beyond that, and the apparent ability of the stock Ion Beam to occasionally produce ion "arcs" that jump through (pierce?) shields, I don't know any weapons or ways you can make weapons that can bypass shields.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3065 on: March 13, 2017, 04:35:12 AM »

These are fun questions, so even with my limited experience, I'm going to have a go at answering while thinking very hard about what they would entail.

From what I've seen in all my experience with vanilla and modded Starsector... Maybe. The first thing that comes to mind is something like what Tartiflette has in the wonderful SCY Nation mod (http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=8010.0), in which some ships are armoured using independent vessels that can be destroyed separately to the main hull of the ship. That uses fancy code though that I don't want to delve into myself. XD

A simpler way to do what you're looking for is to have a custom drone ship system that launches two [invisible?] drones and keeps them in fixed positions facing apart on either side of the ship (see the Apogee's Sensor Drones for static drones). These custom drones would have 90 degree front-facing shields with a disproportionately large radius, and appear to give their mothership 90 degree fixed broadside shields on both the port and starboard sides. Being independent from the mothership sadly means that damage taken to those shields wouldn't affect the mothership's flux capacity at all, so you risk losing some immersion unless you specifically say "there are drones here producing the shields, not the ship itself".

This is actually a method I believe is related to upcoming features of orbital stations (http://fractalsoftworks.com/2016/09/23/orbital-stations-in-combat/). I'm thinking specifically about this particular image:

Spoiler

[close]

Again, I believe the SCY Nation has a "Phase Missile Launcher", that fires missiles which actually use a modified phase cloak to evade point defence fire and obstacles until they are near enough their target to drop back into normal space and impact - although I don't think they can phase through a shield and pop out on the other side. Beyond that, and the apparent ability of the stock Ion Beam to occasionally produce ion "arcs" that jump through (pierce?) shields, I don't know any weapons or ways you can make weapons that can bypass shields.
I'm 99% sure that you can't have multiple shields unless either A: You use TWIGLib, which is just Pandora's Box of Dark Code. Or B: You use the upcoming station mechanics that will hopefully be in the game.

As for shield piercing guns? One mod does have them: Exigency. Specifically their CIGEN cannons. However, the mod isn't updated to current vanilla levels and the guns themselves are hard to balance
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #3066 on: March 13, 2017, 05:43:38 AM »

FYI the implementation is to set the projectile collision type to NONE or some other type that doesn't collide with ships, then manually check each projectile for collision and change the coll. type back when it hits something. Hull-piercing weapons (e.g. the built-in on the Shadowyards Mimir) can be done in the same way.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3067 on: March 13, 2017, 01:11:48 PM »

FYI the implementation is to set the projectile collision type to NONE or some other type that doesn't collide with ships, then manually check each projectile for collision and change the coll. type back when it hits something. Hull-piercing weapons (e.g. the built-in on the Shadowyards Mimir) can be done in the same way.

Ah, I didn't realise "NONE" was a valid option for the collision type. Perhaps I should try mucking around with this.

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #3068 on: March 24, 2017, 04:47:55 PM »

looking to disable ship collision for a mod idea. I think I did it before so it should be possible. Does anyone know how to do this?
mmm.... tartiflette

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3069 on: March 24, 2017, 04:55:01 PM »

looking to disable ship collision for a mod idea. I think I did it before so it should be possible. Does anyone know how to do this?

Immediate thought would be to use phase ships, but outside of that I got nothing. *shrug*

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #3070 on: March 24, 2017, 07:34:00 PM »

CombatEntityAPI.setCollisionClass(CollisionClass.FIGHTER)    // ships (should) collide with projectiles but not each other... maybe, collision after engine flameout is a likely failure case

Mongreal

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3071 on: April 02, 2017, 06:13:07 AM »

Hi there, I'm new to the plugin making part of modding, and I was wondering : Can I make a weapon that fire EMP arc in front of it (even without actual entities to target) ?
I tried to play with some parts of code, and I managed to make a engine.spawnemp that deal damage, but doesn't show anything.

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #3072 on: April 02, 2017, 10:08:25 PM »

trying to remove a specific ship from a faction (in this case, centurion_Assault from hegemony). I deleted the entry and they're still showing up. There are no more entries for the ship in the faction's file in world/factions.

am I missing something?
mmm.... tartiflette

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3073 on: April 03, 2017, 12:12:34 AM »

trying to remove a specific ship from a faction (in this case, centurion_Assault from hegemony). I deleted the entry and they're still showing up. There are no more entries for the ship in the faction's file in world/factions.

am I missing something?

Are they still showing up in a game you had already been playing with for a bit, or in a game you started after you removed the variant from the file?

Are you sure the variant is the same? There are two stock variants of the Centurion if I remember correctly, though I'm unsure if the Hegemony use both.

Did you remove it from every location in the file? Sometimes a ship variant may be used to fulfill several different roles in the same faction. Re-read your OP and apparently you did.

EDIT: Also... Why exactly are you trying to remove the Centurion from Hegemony fleets?  ;)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 12:15:57 AM by AxleMC131 »

cjuicy

• Captain
  • Figuring out how the hell to wear heels (She/it)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3074 on: April 06, 2017, 12:14:30 PM »

Is there a way to make a player-only hullmod, unusable by Dynasector?
It's been a long time, but I still love ya!

- Pfp done by Sleepyfish!
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 706