Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 706

Author Topic: Misc modding questions that are too minor to warrant their own thread  (Read 1700059 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Misc modding questions that are too minor to warrant their own thread
« Reply #705 on: August 22, 2013, 07:48:01 AM »

Nope, variables were right, just observation kinda wrong... so new statement:

BeamEffectPlugin isn´t called when beam is actually not active and when it get active next time it will start with initial values of variables.

Correct. That generally seems desirable for actual beam effects, doesn't it? But probably makes it a bad place to govern the weapon's animation from. There's also the part about it being passed in a BeamAPI, which doesn't exist while the weapon isn't firing, though I suppose that could be null...

(I've got the say, the railgun impact looks pretty amazing. As does the ship itself, but we weren't talking about that :))

Ravendarke

• Captain
  • Nemesis
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: August 22, 2013, 08:56:15 AM »

Correct. That generally seems desirable for actual beam effects, doesn't it? But probably makes it a bad place to govern the weapon's animation from. There's also the part about it being passed in a BeamAPI, which doesn't exist while the weapon isn't firing, though I suppose that could be null...

Yeah, I understand it now, and probably if it wouldn´t be so late yesterday then I would understand it earlier :D( I´ve simply believed it is everyframe specific to beam weapons, dunno why). I have just changed it to everyframe and it was working without problem, thx for help :)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 09:13:50 AM by Ravendarke »

Ravendarke

• Captain
  • Nemesis
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: August 24, 2013, 09:40:00 AM »

Question about png, bit-depth is obvious but what about interlacing and compression? It seems like (by their size) every vanilla png use highest/slowest compression, not sure about interlacing but I guess it even doesnt matter in this case.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: August 24, 2013, 10:25:42 AM »

Question about png, bit-depth is obvious but what about interlacing and compression? It seems like (by their size) every vanilla png use highest/slowest compression, not sure about interlacing but I guess it even doesnt matter in this case.

Not sure. It's using java's ImageIO.read, so whatever that does.

Ravendarke

• Captain
  • Nemesis
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: August 24, 2013, 10:36:10 AM »

I guess ImageIO doesnt consider it, it is mostly used for web aplication (ability to preload few rows and fill rest with random pixels, then load the rest, basically progressive loading), anyway thx. Still curious about that compression, coz none-fast produce bigger image but they could be actually easier and faster to load by the engine itself, but not completely sure about that.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 11:14:58 AM by Ravendarke »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: August 24, 2013, 11:30:32 AM »

Still curious about that compression, coz none-fast produce bigger image but they could be actually easier and faster to load by the engine itself, but not completely sure about that.

I'd be shocked if the time spent decoding was significant compared to the time spent loading the image from disk for any non-trivial number of computer setups. Shocked, I tell you :)

silentstormpt

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: August 24, 2013, 11:46:07 AM »

Still curious about that compression, coz none-fast produce bigger image but they could be actually easier and faster to load by the engine itself, but not completely sure about that.

I'd be shocked if the time spent decoding was significant compared to the time spent loading the image from disk for any non-trivial number of computer setups. Shocked, I tell you :)

Went exploring to help you out and found this:
http://lwjgl.org/wiki/index.php?title=Loading_PNG_images_with_TWL's_PNGDecoder
http://lwjgl.org/forum/index.php?topic=4762.0
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 11:50:58 AM by silentstormpt »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: August 24, 2013, 12:14:39 PM »

Ah, thanks :)

I actually experimented with that particular decoder a while ago; it only handled power-of-two-sized pngs and wasn't significantly faster, if at all (refer to part about time to load from disk dwarfing everything else).

Ravendarke

• Captain
  • Nemesis
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: August 24, 2013, 03:01:54 PM »

Well I was not suggesting it is bad, actually I wasn´t 100 percent sure if they are actually compressed or not, just checking if I was using proper format or if it actually matters, so thx for informations.

Observation: Ai compares OP of two enemy ships, if OP of one ship is significaly lower then it is "afraid" of other one and try to avoid combat (run from it, even if it cannot retreat just trying to outrange it all the time)

-correct? Also only weapon OPs count? Or what? If this theory is alright then I am pretty sure only actual OP counts (not maximum ship OP, just current loadout).

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: August 24, 2013, 03:16:39 PM »

It's ... involved. It considers damage, weapon type/size, shield type/state/efficiency, direction the weapon is pointing at, one-shot damage/dps, etc. Ordnance points are just about the only thing that's actually not considered here, iirc :)

Ravendarke

• Captain
  • Nemesis
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: August 24, 2013, 03:22:46 PM »

Point is, I have ship with DPS, shield efficiency and other stats far above any other ships, still it is running even from cruisers. (dps is actually several thousands). Tho it has only inbuilt weapons, so no OP from that.

Edit: I just tried to boost OP from hullmods, actually multiplied it by 3.. now it is much more aggressive. Before it was running from Dominator class, now it is willingly rushing against onslaughts.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 03:27:00 PM by Ravendarke »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: August 24, 2013, 03:35:12 PM »

Ah yes, that makes sense. If a variant's actual spent OP are below a certain fraction of the maximum OP (30%? not sure what it is in 0.54.1a), the AI considers it a civilian ship and runs away no matter what.

Ravendarke

• Captain
  • Nemesis
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: August 24, 2013, 03:47:23 PM »

Ahhh that would explain a lot

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: August 25, 2013, 01:27:32 PM »

Am I missing something, or does MutableShipStatsAPI.getShieldArcBonus not actually function during combat?  Trying to make a ship system that increases shield arc when it's active, and, err, either the method's broken or I'm doing something wrong...
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: August 25, 2013, 01:48:12 PM »

Right, that doesn't work dynamically. The shield's initialization depends on knowing its arc.
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 706