Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 414 415 [416] 417 418 ... 706

Author Topic: Misc modding questions that are too minor to warrant their own thread  (Read 1699677 times)

SirHartley

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Misc modding questions that are too minor to warrant their own thread
« Reply #6225 on: March 28, 2020, 06:58:00 AM »

Does anyone here know how to get a hold of Java 7? I've set up Netbeans IDE, but I've only been able to find JDE 14/13.

Thanks for your help.

download from oracles website or:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cle4yGhPkROCu3z5WKHKLR098ObGLwPV

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #6226 on: March 28, 2020, 07:11:54 AM »

You can use a newer JDK btw, you just need to set your IDE to compile for JDK 7 (in Netbeans it's the project's Source/Binary Format)

ArneHD

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6227 on: March 28, 2020, 07:45:44 AM »

Does anyone here know how to get a hold of Java 7? I've set up Netbeans IDE, but I've only been able to find JDE 14/13.

Thanks for your help.

download from oracles website or:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cle4yGhPkROCu3z5WKHKLR098ObGLwPV

Thanks a million! That worked perfectly!

You can use a newer JDK btw, you just need to set your IDE to compile for JDK 7 (in Netbeans it's the project's Source/Binary Format)

Well, now I just feel like an idiot. I spent an afternoon trying to get things to work and answer turns out to be a damn drop down menu.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 07:52:12 AM by ArneHD »

tomatopaste

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6228 on: March 30, 2020, 01:25:30 AM »

Hello! When using the method ship.getLaunchBaysCopy() on a ship with existing launch bay weapon types, but no fighter slots, it returns an empty list. Is this intentional, or am I missing something? Also, it would be useful if there was an API hook for FighterLaunchBayAPI to get the absolute location. Thanks :)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6229 on: March 30, 2020, 10:57:15 AM »

Hello! When using the method ship.getLaunchBaysCopy() on a ship with existing launch bay weapon types, but no fighter slots, it returns an empty list. Is this intentional, or am I missing something? Also, it would be useful if there was an API hook for FighterLaunchBayAPI to get the absolute location. Thanks :)

Hey! Yeah, this is intentional - a FighterLaunchBayAPI is like a WeaponAPI, not like a WeaponSlotAPI.

Added:
WeaponSlotAPI - List<Vector2f> getLaunchPointOffsets();
and
FighterLaunchBayAPI - WeaponSlotAPI getWeaponSlot();

lethargie

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6230 on: March 30, 2020, 01:39:40 PM »

Bit of a weird question. What are the extension that are used by the game in the root folder of a mod directorie?

What I mean: the mod-info is read by the game, I presume stuff like readme.txt or license. txt are not. How does one decide if a particular file is essential for a mod or not.

toasterific

• Ensign
  • Hey hey people
    • View Profile
« Reply #6231 on: March 30, 2020, 02:44:01 PM »

Hello, I'm pretty new to the forum and a very big dummy when it comes to coding, i can't help but get confused about where to modify the skill values in the game? (for example Ship Design points, Fleet size, Max admin/officers per level) I'm just trying to rebalance some things for my own gameplay and just generally messing around with values, but for some its quite hidden away and i'm nowhere near to solving this problem since most tutorial i see aims at planets and ships... I appreciate it if you'd help a fellow dumb gamer
help

Morrokain

• Admiral
  • Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order
    • View Profile
« Reply #6232 on: March 30, 2020, 06:15:21 PM »

Hello, I'm pretty new to the forum and a very big dummy when it comes to coding, i can't help but get confused about where to modify the skill values in the game? (for example Ship Design points, Fleet size, Max admin/officers per level) I'm just trying to rebalance some things for my own gameplay and just generally messing around with values, but for some its quite hidden away and i'm nowhere near to solving this problem since most tutorial i see aims at planets and ships... I appreciate it if you'd help a fellow dumb gamer

Fractal Softworks\Starsector\starsector-core\data\characters\skills -That's where the skills are handled. Start with skill_data.csv.

Keep in mind, if the path in that file is something like: com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.skills- Then the stats are handled in the api and you will have to copy from there and reference your changes in a new file in the skills folder- OR -compile your script into a jar and reference it that way.

That will get you started at least.  :)

-----------------

Is it possible to hide a ship system in the codex?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6233 on: March 30, 2020, 06:20:16 PM »

Bit of a weird question. What are the extension that are used by the game in the root folder of a mod directorie?

What I mean: the mod-info is read by the game, I presume stuff like readme.txt or license. txt are not. How does one decide if a particular file is essential for a mod or not.

That's it, just the mod_info file. Version Checker might look for an additional file, not 100% sure?

Hmm, I don't believe so.

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6234 on: March 30, 2020, 06:58:59 PM »

Hmm, I don't believe so.

Ah well not really a big deal. Thanks.

toasterific

• Ensign
  • Hey hey people
    • View Profile
« Reply #6235 on: March 30, 2020, 08:30:22 PM »

Fractal Softworks\Starsector\starsector-core\data\characters\skills -That's where the skills are handled. Start with skill_data.csv.

Keep in mind, if the path in that file is something like: com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.skills- Then the stats are handled in the api and you will have to copy from there and reference your changes in a new file in the skills folder- OR -compile your script into a jar and reference it that way.

That will get you started at least.  :)

-----------------

yep, the .csv files doesnt provide the value / script that can be changed, only the description of it tho...

compile your script into a jar and reference it that way.
And this is what i need help with right now since there aren't a lot of tutorials explaining how to make utility mods :/
or at least an external link where i can get somewhere hmm
help

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6236 on: March 30, 2020, 08:56:34 PM »

yep, the .csv files doesnt provide the value / script that can be changed, only the description of it tho...

compile your script into a jar and reference it that way.
And this is what i need help with right now since there aren't a lot of tutorials explaining how to make utility mods :/
or at least an external link where i can get somewhere hmm

For the IDE tutorial to do this I recommend: https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=10057.0 It's a little outdated but should give you a good starting point.

The csv file is important because you can't just change the source in the API and have the game read it. That's provided as a reference only and you have to copy it and extract the code from the zip to even be able to open it in notepad.

You don't strictly need an IDE to change these values, though, at least I'm fairly sure you don't as you should be able to create a "scripts" directory under the skills directory and put your changed scripts there. You can then create your own skill stats file by copying and extracting the API directory in starsector core and then reference your new script by editing the csv file to point to your code instead. I don't think you need a jar to do that. It's just better to do it that way if you are releasing your changes as a mod. For personal use you can probably save time by skipping the IDE (though it is really worth it to know how to do this if you ever want to publicly release anything).

I can give an example if that would be helpful.

lethargie

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6237 on: March 31, 2020, 11:01:24 AM »

That's it, just the mod_info file. Version Checker might look for an additional file, not 100% sure?

I know some mod have .ini and .json file that seems to refer to config or settings Like lazylib_setting.json for example. I'm asking because I'm trying to mash together a  couple mods into a single mod, for experiment, and I want to know what I should keep and where I should put it

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6238 on: March 31, 2020, 11:35:00 AM »

Ah - that's mod-specific, then; not really something I can answer in a general way. Pretty much any file that's there, is probably there for a reason, though.

lethargie

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6239 on: March 31, 2020, 12:53:45 PM »

but what happens when a mod as a file there with the same name as one from another mod? Like for example I often see a licence.txt. Does they have to make sure there setting file is named differently because at runtime they get overwrited?

Also, since im here. The SWP has  a rules.csv and a rules.xlsx. Are these merged together at runtime? Or is the rules.xlsx disregarded by the game
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 01:37:24 PM by lethargie »
Pages: 1 ... 414 415 [416] 417 418 ... 706