Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Well, this is awkward...  (Read 13918 times)

TheHappyFace

• Admiral
  • The critic
    • View Profile
Re: Well, this is awkward...
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2012, 08:21:07 AM »

java is a country right?
 ;D just kidding ,but to be honest i dont know anyting about java still
thanks for the compliment.
your welcome
Fractalsoftworks limited edition ban hammer.

harrumph

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2012, 08:59:05 AM »

Have you talked to Brian about this? Whatever you do, make sure you have his permission to write about him, even if you do obscure the details.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2012, 08:59:51 AM »

Have you talked to Brian about this? Whatever you do, make sure you have his permission to write about him, even if you do obscure the details.

You two know eachother in RL or what? Because i fail to see who brain is. ???

TheHappyFace

• Admiral
  • The critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2012, 09:00:32 AM »

good point'

edit: brian or brain (misspelled in first reply) is a biological speaking a girl and emotionally (feeling or whatever you english people call it)
a boy. he/she was the girlfriend of our thread owner and (probaply) just a friend now.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 09:03:48 AM by TheHappyFace »

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2012, 12:06:22 PM »

Make sure what you say is relevant, rather than going off on a tangent because of your personal experience.
Stay objective, don't use your own experience as lone justification for your opinion - the teacher will want to see reasoned thought.

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2012, 02:05:24 PM »

How about a useful reply, hm?

Make *** up. Seriously, make a story up. How would they know it's true? Write some bland tiny romance short and that's it.

sdmike1

• Admiral
  • Dyslexics of the world, untie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2012, 10:08:33 PM »

good point'

edit: brian or brain (misspelled in first reply) is a biological speaking a girl and emotionally (feeling or whatever you english people call it)
a boy. he/she was the girlfriend of our thread owner and (probaply) just a friend now.
the happy face has it basally right, we are just friends and he is now going to collage in another state down south.

Ok, I had no idea this was going to happen but Brian showed up today after school because he is back in town for Christmas break, the world works in strange ways right lol

naufrago

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2012, 10:59:54 PM »

Make *** up. Seriously, make a story up. How would they know it's true? Write some bland tiny romance short and that's it.

You would have him lie to a religion teacher? D= *gasp* Can't they, like, send you to hell for that? One o' them mortal sins or whatnot?

But seriously, making *** up sounds like a good idea. Whenever I have to write something about my life or my interests, it's always easier and more convenient to come up with something more interesting than reality. And you don't run into the ethical issues of outing a friend with or without their knowledge/consent. And you don't run the risk of your teacher reacting poorly to your relationship.

Teachers are supposed to be objective and grade objectively, but who among us can claim to be completely objective about everything? Best to play it safe, especially if there's a risk that she is a hardcore homophobe (and since she's a religion teacher at a catholic school, it's quite possible). If you don't know her well enough to know how she would react to transgender/homosexuality stuff, best to either find out fast or just avoid the subject entirely.

This is all assuming you care about your grade above all else.

TheHappyFace

• Admiral
  • The critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2012, 03:46:01 AM »

You would have him lie to a religion teacher? D= *gasp* Can't they, like, send you to hell for that? One o' them mortal sins or whatnot?

But seriously, making *** up sounds like a good idea. Whenever I have to write something about my life or my interests, it's always easier and more convenient to come up with something more interesting than reality. And you don't run into the ethical issues of outing a friend with or without their knowledge/consent. And you don't run the risk of your teacher reacting poorly to your relationship.

Teachers are supposed to be objective and grade objectively, but who among us can claim to be completely objective about everything? Best to play it safe, especially if there's a risk that she is a hardcore homophobe (and since she's a religion teacher at a catholic school, it's quite possible). If you don't know her well enough to know how she would react to transgender/homosexuality stuff, best to either find out fast or just avoid the subject entirely.

I am sorry but i completly disagree with you.
Why should you lie about what you believe in? to make things easier for you? is that how you stand in life?
making up a story might sound better than reality but this is about an ethnic subject and so only reality will make for the best story(on this subject).
No man ,not even a writer,can perfectly write about such subjects in fiction ,but even a kid can write about this subject when its part of her/his life.

(with us) religion class is never about making people believe what you believe. Its about making people to give everything a thought and to discuss(this is the right word, right?) subjects which take place in our society, to create understanding among different religions and point of views, buiding bridges so to speak. he has a solid point of view in this subject and why should he change or hide it? wouldnt take make society stop functioning? making progress put on hold? thats not what we want!
to keep moving and improving we need to cummunicate, discuss and respect.

If you are a teacher with a religion and you cant put that aside to help your students, than you better find a new job.
teachers should be neutral, objective. they may have there own opinion and there is nothing wrong with telling the class what you think,
but as a teacher you may never interrupt the students in creating his/her own view or following his/her own religion,
for that will only stop progress and create friction between people.

so stop keeping ingnorance alive by lieing about wo you are and stand up for what you think even if that would mean putting effort into the subject for it will be the only path to understanding others, yourself and society and it will be the only way to true peace and respect.

If your teacher doesn't accept you and your grades will reduce due to this, I have to point you to the people above her (school mayor(?) if neccesary), although i think your teacher is old and wise enough so that this isnt neccesary.

just one more thing.
I am telling all this from my experience in my country (netherlands) i dont know where you live and how religious the people are there.

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2012, 05:35:56 AM »

So you're saying that a young boy, since i doubt we're talking about a 20year+ person here, should acknowledge homosexual relations at his catholic school, to his teacher, in an assignment? Seriously? He's not a full grown adult that's fully in charge of his life and capable of upholding any and all his likes, dislikes, quirks or political views. He will get bad grades, get pushed aside, even ridiculed, and that will have a LOT more lasting and ongoing effect on his life than any little white lie.

I full stand behind growing as an human being, in whatever ways that may shape you, but if you don't understand that a lot of people are ignorant and hypocritical, and don't take that into account in your dealings society, you will have issues adjusting and growing into a full and healthy lifestyle.

And yes, in an ideal world, people would be as open minded and as understanding as they need to be. But that's not the case in a large proportion of the populace. Were i his teacher, i wouldn't even bat an eyelash and all i'd have to say would be something like "if you're sure that's what makes you happy, then go for it". But that's me.. After that, i'd make sure to keep his secret from any other ignorant people that would be within my control unless he decides otherwise.

In any case, this has gotten really offtrack so i'll stop here as the OP asked me to.

TheHappyFace

• Admiral
  • The critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2012, 06:09:16 AM »

cosmitz i appreciate you giving this a thought and gave your own opinion on the situation
and so i gave my.

now Mike i think it's your choice to decide what suits you best.
no matter what you do. if you gave it a good thought it will always be the right decision. 

sdmike1

• Admiral
  • Dyslexics of the world, untie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2012, 07:38:06 AM »

Thanks guys, you are the best ;D i plan on talking to her face to face and trying to explain the situation will be more productive than writing it i feel. :)

oh and just to avoid any confusion, no homo, i'm perfectly straight. :)

naufrago

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2012, 02:06:41 PM »

I am sorry but i completly disagree with you.
Why should you lie about what you believe in? to make things easier for you? is that how you stand in life?
making up a story might sound better than reality but this is about an ethnic subject and so only reality will make for the best story(on this subject).
No man ,not even a writer,can perfectly write about such subjects in fiction ,but even a kid can write about this subject when its part of her/his life.

(with us) religion class is never about making people believe what you believe. Its about making people to give everything a thought and to discuss(this is the right word, right?) subjects which take place in our society, to create understanding among different religions and point of views, buiding bridges so to speak. he has a solid point of view in this subject and why should he change or hide it? wouldnt take make society stop functioning? making progress put on hold? thats not what we want!
to keep moving and improving we need to cummunicate, discuss and respect.

If you are a teacher with a religion and you cant put that aside to help your students, than you better find a new job.
teachers should be neutral, objective. they may have there own opinion and there is nothing wrong with telling the class what you think,
but as a teacher you may never interrupt the students in creating his/her own view or following his/her own religion,
for that will only stop progress and create friction between people.

so stop keeping ingnorance alive by lieing about wo you are and stand up for what you think even if that would mean putting effort into the subject for it will be the only path to understanding others, yourself and society and it will be the only way to true peace and respect.

If your teacher doesn't accept you and your grades will reduce due to this, I have to point you to the people above her (school mayor(?) if neccesary), although i think your teacher is old and wise enough so that this isnt neccesary.

just one more thing.
I am telling all this from my experience in my country (netherlands) i dont know where you live and how religious the people are there.

I follow my personal principles, but we don't live in an ideal world. It's all well and good to 'fight for what you believe in,' but it's meaningless when that fight has large potential negative consequences and little potential gains, and those potential positive outcomes can be achieved by going about things a different way (talk after class about these things when no one's grades or future are on the line).

Fight for what you believe in, but pick your battles. Sometimes you just need to avoid meaningless battles or you'll waste a ton of time and energy. Do you argue with everyone who's wrong on the internet? Same principle. Except when you're in regular contact with someone, you have other, better opportunities to broaden someone's worldview. It's not about avoiding any and all confrontation, it's about fixing what you can and ignoring what you can't.

Besides, this is all moot if everyone involved in sdmike's story is cool with it.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 02:13:34 PM by naufrago »

Hardlyjoking67

• Captain
  • I'm a different kind of buddy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2012, 04:32:30 PM »

I don't know if you personally are actually catholic or not, but it is my belief that Christianity seeks to invite everyone into the brotherhood and love of God. Regardless of the stances that the Catholic Church and even the pope take on certain issues, the Church and the pope are both products of man, and therefore, flawed. Who's to say that they know exactly what the will of God is? To decide that is to make yourself equal to Him. In addition, even if God is constantly inspiring all of the Pope's actions and thoughts, it doesn't mean that the pope is properly interpreting and executing this inspiration. In the end, all you can do is try to be the best person you can be, and I believe that is what Christianity is truly calling us to do. God calls to all of us to treat others in a non-biased way that accepts all groups of people irregardless of race, religious stance, or sexual orientation. To discriminate or segregate someone based on their sexual orientation (or whatever it is you are talking about, no offence, i just don't understand it) is to judge someone based on something they are born with, and is tantamount to racism, which also discriminates based on a genetic trait. Your religion teacher may or may not agree with these views, but if she treats you unfairly because of your views, stances, or any other issue, then she is a poor Christian and a bad person in my eyes. At that point, you are perfectly validated in destroying her with logic and/or raising a hubbub. You are entitled to and responsible for expressing your views, and I hope you choose to do so. So hopefully there are a few arguments you could make wrapped up in there. Good luck and God bless.

*I don't generally bring religion into things so don't hold it against me 'kay?  ;D

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2012, 07:42:49 PM »

Who's to say that they know exactly what the will of God is? To decide that is to make yourself equal to Him.
God calls to all of us to treat others in a non-biased way that accepts all groups of people irregardless of race, religious stance, or sexual orientation.
Pardon me, but are you not doing here what you called impossible a few sentences earlier? 

The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4