Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: New Crew Types  (Read 8171 times)

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: New Crew Types
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2012, 01:10:29 PM »

Or 'damn it, need a hundred credits more to finish up this ship build.. hey, how do you like those strong specimens over there, worth enough for that extra antimatter blaster?'.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2012, 01:36:44 PM »

I want to play Starfarer, not The Sims: In Space.

How the hell would it be the sims at all? You aren't customizing them, you aren't intricately designing their lives. Useless overreactions like this add nothing to suggestion posts.

Overreactions indeed. The way it works now is simple: put the ships you want given the best crew first in the your fleet list, and the game does the rest for you. I like it this way, because it minimizes the amount of time I have to spend doing management crap and it gets me back in to the action faster. If you add multiple crew types, the game wouldn't know on what ship you want your gunners on, what ship you want your navigators on, ect.  Which means that you'll be manually assigning crewmen. Not fun.

"Oh, but what about the buffs they give?" We already have crew experience levels, character skills/apptititudes, and (Coming Soon!) officer... "bonuses". Not to mention the slew of hull mods. How many more buffs do we really need?

I don't think we should give them all individual names and back stories and have to write their loved ones about their deaths after they die or anything but it could certainly be fleshed out a slight tad so it isn't just "welp six hundred people died, no biggy, just gonna go buy another six hundred."
I cringe every time I lose elite crewmen in a fight (and I don't like losing Veterans either). Granted, I don't really care when I lose green or regular crewmen, because they are so easily replaced, but losing too many can really cripple you.

Rowanas

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2012, 02:12:35 PM »

I'm also not a huge fan of extra crew types, as Reuben says, when do we have enough bonuses? I've got hullmods, crew levels, captains, skills, ship designs, formations and nodes. What will more-extra-uber-additional-doubleplusgood-crew do? I'm happy with the amount of micromanagement I have to do, and when you put something like this in, it becomes either mandatory or meaningless. Leave it to the mods.
Pages: 1 2 [3]