Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Deploy fighters from carriers (simple handling)  (Read 15936 times)

Gaizokubanou

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Deploy fighters from carriers (simple handling)
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2013, 02:24:29 AM »

My point was that while carriers are not particularly expensive in FP for their class they're also not, in general, particularly powerful for their class in my experience. Taking the venture as an example. It has only one flight deck so can only deploy one fighter wing from it at a time.

So what if it can only deploy one wing at a time?  Soon as it enters combat it can launch all of its wings long before any combat occurs.

For the same cost you can field three or four frigates

Only frigate you can take in number of 3 or 4 for 12 FP would be Hound.  Everything else is 2 (except for hyperion and that fuel frigate... and unless I'm forgetting something like how much phase shift ships costs).

And you are still forgetting that particular suggestion you quoted.

0 FP cost for the fighters and bombers that are deployed with the carrier.

For 12 FP, if you can take a venture and are allowed to fill its hangar space worth of fighters/bombers, that has to be the best bang for FP you can get.  If anything, this suggestion would make carriers too good and will probably not be implemented for that reason.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 02:48:36 AM by Gaizokubanou »

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2013, 02:57:16 AM »

I did not quite get what the advantage of 0FP fighters would be yet. So...what would the advantage of 0FP fighters be?
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

firstattak1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2013, 06:20:02 AM »

Well u was just confused on why fighters have to have hanger space and fp? Having both makes no scince other than if there was no fp then they could be spammed, but I'm saying is that fighters, although very useful without, needs a carrier to survive long term battle, and if you don't have one, and your facing a big fleet...you can say bye to all your fighters.(like 70% of the time)

One last thing, well what I was thinking is a carrier can only deploy 1 frigate in a period of time, or per flight deck.(time based on what's balanced) and so the only really menacing carrier is the capital ship(which the name escapes me) and this should be a meanesing ship.

Oh and just of a fix for that issue!! So fighters have a "early deployment" fp if you want/need to deploy them without a carrier. And fighters have a special fp that pertains to them an acts like fp, in the fact that you gain more with beacons and such.

Ps: just though most  of this up and not sure what this would limit or make things op.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2013, 11:50:06 AM »

OK, give me one good reason why you'd hide your fighters in a carrier?  Take note, it'll probably take a command point to put them into the carrier, and another to get them out.  Personally, I think it's not worth it.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Gaizokubanou

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2013, 01:53:55 PM »

I did not quite get what the advantage of 0FP fighters would be yet. So...what would the advantage of 0FP fighters be?

firstattak1's original suggestion was allowing carriers to bring in as many fighters as hangar space allotted for 0FP cost.

That means, as an example, if you bring in a venture, that's venture + 4 wings of broadsword for 12FP.  That's some dirt cheap FP cost for really large force (IMO downright overpowered).

Looking at his latest post however, his sentences are not so clear in meaning and now he's talking about bringing out frigates out of carrier (I assume that's spelling error but still WTF?) so who knows what he actually meant...
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 01:56:34 PM by Gaizokubanou »

firstattak1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2013, 05:35:48 PM »

Yes typo sorry, was on my phone with auto correct on......and im not geat anyway with spelling, let me fix it.

Well I was just confused on why fighters have to have hanger space and an Fp, why have hanger space if they have Fp?

I was thinking is a carrier can only deploy 1 fighter in a period of time, or per flight deck.(time based on what's balanced) and so the only really menacing carrier is the capital ship(which the name escapes me) and this should be a scary ship.

Oh and just of a fix for that issue!! So fighters could have a "early deployment" fp if you want/need to deploy them without a carrier.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 05:55:44 PM by firstattak1 »

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2013, 07:11:12 AM »

Kool idea unless it's already been mentioned: choice to deploy with the fighters in the cruiser (this could need some tweaking of how fighters work in relation to FP and hangar space to not make 60FP condors) AND to have it so that if you roll with some fighters they can be 'cloaked' internally - think of it like that scene from Battlestar Galactica when the Vipers were hidden in the cargo containers, an unexpected swarm of bombers or fighters.
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

Sandremo

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2013, 09:10:17 AM »

Cruisers dont have flight decks like someone said and because they dont it would take an extremely long time to deploy wings compared to a carrier that has a flight deck. You need to take into account the size of the fighters as well. Sure you could fit a ton of the very cheapest fighters in a single carrier but what about the bigger and more advanced ones? From what i'v looked they take double the space the early ones do and understand that fielding a crazy number of fighters on the battle at the same time isnt really effective in my opinion they just get in the bloody way or get them selves killed. What about resources? Resupplying fighter craft currently doesnt cost that much resources (I'm guessing it's because the fighters them selves have an FP cost) But in reality it's expensive stuff. Since in starfarer it's mostly about hit 'n run tactics with fighter and bomber craft that are designed to destroy ships of the frigate class and upwards if the resource cost of resupplying would be increased to counter the 0FP you would find yourself pretty easily stranded or very low on resources since your strike wings eat alot.

Anyway go play any space sim. Any space sim at all that has any sort of ballistic weapons and or missiles. I'm taking freespace 2 here for example. Your fighter wings need to use their missiles to be 100% combat effective and hence end up resupplying a million times over in a mission = lot's of resources spent.

Meh... i'm not even sure what i'm trying to get at myself anymore.

I guess my point was that you need to take into account the size and the resource consumption of fighter craft if this is going to be implemented.

-Sandremo

Halcyon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2013, 12:56:12 AM »

i have an Idea:
  • Increase CP gained (from skills and captured stations(x2-x5 cp))
  • increase CPs needed for Friggies and above (2-10 cp)
  • fighter wing CPs remains the same (1-2 cp)
  • implement fighter wing recall and launch for CPs (1 cp)

or:
Spoiler
View Image
[close]
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 01:01:28 AM by Halcyon »

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2013, 01:18:42 AM »

There's been an update on the subject:  http://fractalsoftworks.com/2013/06/07/fighter-update/
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

Halcyon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2013, 06:07:00 AM »

Whoops, I just realize that this thread was over 5 months ago...  sorry
Pages: 1 2 [3]