Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Convert Weapon Mounts  (Read 3878 times)

jhb

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Convert Weapon Mounts
« on: December 02, 2012, 06:42:11 PM »

Here's an idea for the unused "Convert" button in the refit tab: Converting weapon mount types from one to another (energy to ballistic, ballistic to missile, etc).

Of course, there would be some limitations or drawbacks to converting mounts, like:

• Converting a mount could decrease its size by one tier (large to medium, medium to small, small unconvertable or stays small)
  • Only a certain number of mounts could be converted per ship (1/2/3/4 for frigates/destoyers/cruisers/capitals)
  • The ability to convert mounts could be unlocked by a certain skill (more points in skill = more/larger mounts)
  • Converted mounts could have reduced firing arcs
  • Converting mounts could have a high OP/credit cost or refit time, or only be done at (friendly?) stations
  • Converting mounts could require the sacrifice of another mount
  • Weapons in converted mounts could have reduced stats (slower turn rate, reduced range, etc.)
  • Different conversion types/sizes could have different costs (large missile to energy more expensive than medium ballistic to missile, etc.)

What does everyone think? Feel free to add your own ideas, or tell me if this has been suggested before (I searched, but couldn't find anything similar).

Spoiler
Also, first post. I hope it's a good one...
[close]

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Re: Convert Weapon Mounts
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 06:58:41 PM »

Meh.  No, doesn't sound right.  Does a lasher with 5 small energy mounts sound good to you?  Or an Onslaught with more energy mounts than you can shake a stick at?  Not saying that it's a bad idea, it just seems OP to me.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 06:59:29 PM »

Hi jhb, welcome to the forum :)

It was speculated that the convert button will be able to convert some ship classes into others, for example Tarsus transporter into Condor carrier. It might also just get removed. http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=4915.0

I don't think mount conversion will make it into the game. It's mount types are a defining characteristic of a ship class, to be able to change them would just cost it personality and mix up the balance. It was indeed suggested before.

Don't let you first post being no hit stop you though, mine was something about Diablo style random loot and was crushed instantly^^
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

jhb

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 08:37:18 PM »

Meh.  No, doesn't sound right.  Does a lasher with 5 small energy mounts sound good to you?  Or an Onslaught with more energy mounts than you can shake a stick at?  Not saying that it's a bad idea, it just seems OP to me.
That's why I included a limitation on the number of mounts per ship you can convert...

Hi jhb, welcome to the forum :)

It was speculated that the convert button will be able to convert some ship classes into others, for example Tarsus transporter into Condor carrier. It might also just get removed. http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=4915.0

I don't think mount conversion will make it into the game. It's mount types are a defining characteristic of a ship class, to be able to change them would just cost it personality and mix up the balance. It was indeed suggested before.

Don't let you first post being no hit stop you though, mine was something about Diablo style random loot and was crushed instantly^^

Darn, and I was thinking of suggesting something similar where ships would have random stat buffs/debuffs. Oh well.

I see what you both mean about certain weapons being out of place on different ships. Maybe some ships can only have specific conversions (low-tech: ballistic <=> missile only), but that might be getting too complicated. The reason I suggested this was because I prefer high-tech ships w/o missiles, and I would love to have some more ballistic mounts on them.

Anyways, thanks for the feedback and encouragement!

Abaddon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 04:43:17 AM »

What about increasing or decreasing a weapon points range of fire. For example maybe turning a 180 small turret into a forward facing hardpoint would free up the space to make it a medium slot which obviously only fires forward. Like wise converting a 180 medium turret into a full 360 would downgrade it to a small turret.

VerifiedN

• Ensign
  • A random person on the internet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 09:25:06 AM »

I think this isn't a bad idea, with balancing.

Ballistic/Energy should convert to missile without much cost because of the narrow usefulness of missile weapons and their universal nature.

Ballistic to Energy (and vice versa) shouldn't be possible to preserve tech level divides and 'flavour'.

Missile to Energy could result in (a lot of) flux waste and reduced RoF.

Missile to Ballistic should drop the size by one tier, add more recoil (weapons that previously didn't have any would gain recoil) and also lower RoF.

Perhaps converting to universal could be added as an advanced mechanical skill perk?

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 10:29:47 AM »

Bad idea IMO; it'll destroy the uniqueness of each ship hull.

Rowanas

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 03:14:25 PM »

Given the heinous penalties you guys are suggesting, would anyone want to change the mount anyway? If the mechanism was included in the game, it would need to preserve flavour without going overboard on punishments. I partially support the idea, because I won't even start the game if I ca't pilot a Wolf, I just flat-out fail with any of the basic ballistic designs.

Vulcan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 07:20:30 PM »

Definitely not converting mounts, that's just a mess that that would be next to impossible to balance and would make things unrealistic.

Converting ships on the other hand, maybe replace "converting" with "upgrade" or something along those lines.

obviously the games getting a lot more ships with mods. But lets say you want to convert or upgrade a ship, maybe upgrade a ship to a stronger version. The industry skill line could have something to unlock upgrades to ships.
Industry skill:

Ship Construction. 2% cheaper construction of ships.

Lv 5: Convert Buffalo MK1s to MK2s.

Lv 10: Convert Tarsus to Condor.

erynr73

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 07:26:26 PM »

I like the ideal of being able to change mount types.  And I don't think balancing is an issue since there are already pro's and con's between ballistic and energy.  Seems to me it should just be a manner of money (if need be, a lot of money).  There should be an elite garage where you can pay to change weapon mounts and the change is permanent unless you come back and pay again.  Plus think of all the other things a filthy rich pirate should be able to buy in order to mod a ship to his liking, "I'll take the pink laser crystals and the leopard skin paint job."