Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Modding Suggestion: Render_loaded_missiles_Below  (Read 1528 times)

Nekora

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Modding Suggestion: Render_loaded_missiles_Below
« on: December 09, 2012, 11:10:20 AM »

Since we have the RENDER_BARREL_BELOW for cannons, could we also get the same for missiles ? With the RENDER_LOADED_MISSILES the missiles is renndered above the weapon, but i would also love to see it renderd below (i suppose you should also have a render below unless hidden too.)

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
Re: Modding Suggestion: Render_loaded_missiles_Below
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 11:31:31 AM »

+1, would definitely like that.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 03:03:37 AM »

+1, Much needed
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 03:36:50 AM »

This has come up before, the best response I can find points to the official response of "Nice idea, will implement if I can think of an elegant (or just non-hacky) way to do it"

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=365.msg2917#msg2917

Right, I see what you're saying. Some potential trouble there, too. For example, the missile weapons that show the actual missiles racked on the weapon sprite. When launched, those would jump from being below the ship sprite to being above it. Only a problem if the missile was partially obscured, but that depends on the weapon config as much as on the slot, so you can't guarantee that it wouldn't happen by tweaking only the slot. Not a huge deal, but leaving those types of issues unresolved definitely qualifies it as a "hackjob" in my mind.

Similarly for missile launch smoke or gun muzzle flash - or even beams - since you can't really guarantee where those come out - it's easy to picture a weapon where the beam starts out way in the back of the sprite and goes all the way through it, for example - which would be a problem if that part of it was set into the hull.

I've been thinking about this particular idea for a while... and will still keep an eye out for a good solution.

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"