Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Novel weapon idea  (Read 2250 times)

Hopelessnoob

• Captain
    • View Profile
Novel weapon idea
« on: November 22, 2012, 11:27:14 AM »

A beam weapon that increases in damage the longer it does damage. I'm basically lifting this idea from Starcraft 2's voidray but it seemed to have people interested in the idea so why not suggest it. This could be a good medium assault beam weapon able to greatly punish any enemy that is unable to force you to retreat or disable your weapon. Perhaps to balance the flux cost of it also goes up as damage increases. Of course final balance and all of that is up to alex anyone else want to weigh in on this idea.

erynr73

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Novel weapon idea
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 12:17:22 PM »

Agreed.

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 02:30:50 PM »

+1
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

Gabrybbo

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 03:53:23 PM »

Maybe it can be done without adding something new: if you give a beam a very long chargeup value and a very high damage, you'd have basically the weapon you are suggesting. :)
...you can be assured that whatever comes out of the dev-oven will be fantastic and delicious. And it will also include frosting and sprinkles.

Hopelessnoob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 08:41:24 PM »

That wouldn't quiet do it gabrybbo this would do damage constantly but the longer it is used. What you're suggesting if i'm understanding would just be a weapon that took a while to shoot rather shoot while increasing in damage.

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 12:26:34 AM »

no... beams increase damage during charge up afaik, up to the full damage value when the chargeup period is up
mmm.... tartiflette

Hopelessnoob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 12:29:50 AM »

Oh well i guess it would.

Modest

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2012, 12:36:16 PM »

One of my favourites in Starcraft 2 ;) I would like to see such weapon in game without having to mod game :) So consider this as a +1. But right now energy beam weapons are behaving in this way if they are increasing flux while shooting. If a beam weapon would not only increase it's damage by increasing flux but also because of "charging in" effect it minght become quite powerfull... Especially if player will "charge in" weapon just by shooting in empty space. I think that making weapon working like the one from Starcraft 2 without giving player advandage over AI (possibility to "charge in" weapon before acctual combat begins) might be more complicadet than it sounds. Still it would be very interesting weapon and I would gladly try this one :)