Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: This is weird  (Read 8762 times)

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
This is weird
« on: November 16, 2012, 01:52:01 PM »

Having console gamed for so, so very long, I've grown exceptionally used to 30FPS.
Like, so damn used to 30FPS that anything from about 25-30FPS looks butter smooth.

The strange part is I'll be making the jump to 60FPS+ in everything in a few days time... anyone else notice this? I know PC gamers who've gamed for years can have trouble dealing without 60 but...?
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: This is weird
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 02:08:20 PM »

Nothing to worry about, the games will just be alot smoother and more responsive. And all 30 fps games will be unplayable...

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 02:15:53 PM »

Nothing to worry about, the games will just be alot smoother and more responsive. And all 30 fps games will be unplayable...
30 FPS for me is as smooth as 60FPS. I can play about as low as 18 or so...
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

Axiege

• Admiral
  • What a brave and loving name.
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 02:24:10 PM »

For the most part video smoothness can be achieved with just around 18 fps, but I guess it can get more smootherer? I don't know, I have a stark contrast in being a PC gamer and a Nintendofag, and other than the obviously better texture quality and screen resolution, I don't notice anything better visually, including fps, which I think most Wii games play at 25.

naufrago

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 03:29:45 PM »

If you play console, most games are capped at 30fps, but you'll get the occasional one where it's capped at 60fps, particularly fighting games where precision is important. You may or may not be able to tell the difference, but it heavily depends on your dynamic vision. It's most noticeable if you turn quickly or if there's a lot of motion happening on the screen. It's also most noticeable when you get used to 60Hz and experience something capped at less than that.

Once you've played at 60fps or higher, it's tough to deal with anything less. At lower refresh rates, things look choppier and it can be harder to predict movement, not to mention that you lose precision because the game can take twice as long (or more, depending on the fps) to execute a command. This is mostly an issue in a competitive fps or in fighting games where 1 frame can make all the difference.

For the most part video smoothness can be achieved with just around 18 fps...

That can only really be achieved with motion blur, since it plays tricks with how the mind perceives it. Motion blur only really works in TV and movies. Interesting article: http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frames_can_humans_see.htm
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 03:31:35 PM by naufrago »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 03:44:41 PM »

... I have a stark contrast in being a PC gamer and a Nintendofag, ...

Not ok. I'll refrain from disciplinary action this time around, and rather than deleting the post, will leave it so that it makes it very clear to anyone reading the forum that this isn't acceptable here. Hopefully that was just a lapse in judgment, and I don't need to explain why.

Feel free to carry on with the thread.

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 03:58:48 PM »

For the most part video smoothness can be achieved with just around 18 fps, but I guess it can get more smootherer?

Actually, 25fps is approximately the level that the human eye doesn't notice any "stuttering" with, IIRC. I think above that just makes things even more fluid, though it's more subtle than the differences up to 25

Axiege

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 04:01:44 PM »

:-X So sorry, won't happen again... I normally avoid inappropriate language at all costs  :-[ ugh I feel awful...

Anyway, here's my source on the 18 fps comment http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buSaywCF6E8

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 04:34:25 PM »

The "refresh rate"  of the human eye/brain for whole pictures is about 15-20 times per second. So, in theory, you could archive smoothness with that frame rate. In reality you will obviously don't know the exact moment when the brain refreshes a image. So, to guarantee a new picture for the brain every time it refreshes, you have to have a much higher frame rate. About 30 FPS is enough.

But the eye or brain doesn't stop absorbing visual information between refreshes, everything in between is also processed at a much lower level of processing effort. Especially fast movements and overall information density are still recognized. That enables you to see improvements in picture quality up to 120 FPS and beyond. But that also makes it hard to put the finger on what it is this additional FPS do, they never reach your consciousness the way the initial frames do.

I have seen a great video comparison between 30, 60 and 120 FPS once, I'm looking for it now.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

naufrago

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 04:42:20 PM »

:-X So sorry, won't happen again... I normally avoid inappropriate language at all costs  :-[ ugh I feel awful...

Anyway, here's my source on the 18 fps comment http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buSaywCF6E8

He also mentions some things about motion blur. The reason TV and movies can get away with lower frame rates is because the motion blur approximates reality more closely than a series of discrete images would.

Also just to give my subjective view, in that video you linked, I can see the stuttering effect of a 30fps refresh rate throughout the video (youtube videos are capped at 30fps). The guy doesn't appear to be moving smoothly to me (not completely fluid, anyway). It's easiest to see when he's standing with that black background behind him, since it gives the greatest contrast.

dogboy123

• Captain
  • Boron military barracuda
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, 05:28:37 PM »

For me it depends on the game, most first person shooters, 30 and 60FPS look no different, on a 2D game 60-30 looks like a massive difference, oh yeah, and can we PLEASE not start platform superiority wars... please lol.
"I'm expecting an all-out tactical dogfight... followed by a light dinner.

Axiege

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2012, 06:15:20 PM »

There won't be, I was just noting 2 opposite 'extremes' and how I didn't notice a change in FPS myself. What Gothars said is probably right though, because, like explained in the video I referenced, vision doesn't actually work in a way that we can put an FPS on.

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2012, 06:18:14 PM »

My eyes are pretty damn sensitive for FPS. Remember when I spotted that you were recording at 25 FPS instead of 30 Axiege? I can look at a game and pretty much instantly get a pretty decent idea of the FPS.

I like to keep it around 60, but I can still game with 30 and so, its just abit stuttery.

Axiege

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2012, 06:23:45 PM »

My eyes are pretty damn sensitive for FPS. Remember when I spotted that you were recording at 25 FPS instead of 30 Axiege? I can look at a game and pretty much instantly get a pretty decent idea of the FPS.

I like to keep it around 60, but I can still game with 30 and so, its just abit stuttery.

That and Starfarer still displays your FPS at all times :P

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2012, 02:24:17 AM »

Starfaring with 60 and above FPS constantly... love my computer even if its got 10 year old components here and there. =)
Pages: [1] 2