Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Youtubing Ideas???  (Read 7140 times)

firstattak1

• Commander
    • View Profile
Youtubing Ideas???
« on: November 16, 2012, 12:05:43 PM »

I know that there are 2 really good channels out there, but I really want to start make vids and I want to know why people want to see done with videos.

Hyph_K31

• Admiral
  • O' Hear My Name and Tremble! Ug Ug.
    • View Profile
Re: Youtubing Ideas???
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 12:56:20 PM »

Well, for one thing we like to see good grammar :)

I personally would like some more LPs on the modding side of things.

"GEDUNE, stop venting in front of your classmates!"

Axiege

• Admiral
  • What a brave and loving name.
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 01:53:25 PM »

I've seen suggestions on my thread for things like LPs of specific playing styles, like only fighters and carriers, or possibly only using ships from a specific faction/tech era or of and under a certain size. It could be nice to insert your own sort of origin story for your character and RP, giving the campaign a story. No matter what you do, a patch might ruin your progress, but it's especially a risk if you do stuff with mods :/

Hypilein

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 03:12:33 PM »

And for the love of god. Make sure you put an effort in your video. Get hold of a decent mic, cut your videos so that we don't have to see you trying to catch up to pirates or roflstomping enemies that are far to weak. This will probably take much more time per video minute you get, but your results might actually be watchable by people that aren't die hard fans.

Axiege

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 03:30:56 PM »

And for the love of god. Make sure you put an effort in your video. Get hold of a decent mic, cut your videos so that we don't have to see you trying to catch up to pirates or roflstomping enemies that are far to weak. This will probably take much more time per video minute you get, but your results might actually be watchable by people that aren't die hard fans.

That would be a whole lot of editing, as there are many intermittent periods of action and non-action. Even when you try, as I have, to avoid the suicidal pirates that'll attack my fleet of multiple cruisers with 4 buffalo... there will be lots and lots of cumulative travel time that you (and I) can try to figure with (hopefully) interesting commentary to compensate. It really is just part of the game as it is now.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 03:59:03 PM »

Still, a carefully edited video would really be something. The last I saw was , a few months ago.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Axiege

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 04:03:44 PM »

Couldn't possibly be the norm for any sort of regularly posted series unless there was some sort of team behind it. It is nice though... I wish I was better at editing.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 04:09:32 PM »

You are young, you can learn. I just downloaded a program called synfig studio a few days ago, to teach myself animating. Maybe I will even use that for a SF video.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

naufrago

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 04:14:07 PM »

The most important things are a decent microphone, some video editing to cut out useless or unentertaining bits (but don't go overboard or it makes things disjointed), and something to add to the experience. If viewers feel like you're wasting their time or they can't stand the audio, they'll leave. Just watching gameplay footage is boring ("I'd rather play the game/watch someone else than watch this guy"). You have to give people a reason to watch, listen, and stay. There are several routes to go about this.

The most typical ways of adding to the experience of watching gameplay footage is to inject your own personality, to be informative, to be really skilled (must know the game in question inside and out), or to do something original. If you choose to just talk and rely on your personality, it's important that your personality be memorable, likable, charismatic, funny, or interesting in some way. If you're trying to be informative, you better be sure your information is correct, delivered as clearly and concisely as possible, and there should at least be some structure to the information (rather than a shotgun approach spewing out tidbits of info at random). If you're relying on your gameplay to stand on its own, you really have to put a lot of effort into being the absolute best you can be so you can amaze people. Simply being 'good' or even 'great' is not enough. You must achieve near-perfection if you want it to be tolerable. Doing something original is the hardest thing to come up with. Good luck with that.
[EDIT: Generating ideas is actually the easiest part of doing something original. The hard part is coming up with something interesting you can do regularly that doesn't require a ton of work. Things that require a ton of work can't be done regularly without huge gaps between releases or a large budget. The former is bad if you want to grow a channel and the latter is infeasible for a new youtuber]

If you plan to talk during gameplay, which is necessary if you're doing something other than the informative or skilled approach, you must make sure your audio quality is decent. If the audio quality is terrible or your voice is grating in some way, people will mute you, close your video, and/or insult you (you'll be insulted a lot regardless of how true their insults are). Maintaining decent audio quality improves the odds that a person won't shut off your video immediately. With a good enough personality and good enough audio, almost anybody is tolerable to listen to.

Ultimately, it's important to hold yourself to certain standards of quality. It may seem like a lot of work, but it can eventually pay off. If you're just making videos for fun and don't have any aspirations for your channel, it can be fine to relax your standards, but don't expect anyone other than die-hard fans (either of you or the game in question) to watch.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 05:05:25 PM by naufrago »

firstattak1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 09:50:21 PM »

Thanks for the helpful tips, but just to put it out there I do not have a mic...sadly but I thought of a cool think to do, I could do a scavenger run!
Rules: you can not buy anything from shops except supplies fuel and personnel, ships weapons and such must be gained through fighting!!!
How's it sound?

TheHappyFace

• Admiral
  • The critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2012, 03:22:07 AM »

if you still need a good idea you could always try and find a really nice mod and make a video about that.
Fractalsoftworks limited edition ban hammer.

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2012, 03:25:54 AM »

Im not sure how many are willing to watch gameplay without commentary. But I guess you could try.

firstattak1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2012, 06:26:09 AM »

Well I mean I have a mic to do commentary but its a built in one, so it would t be great.

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2012, 07:10:25 AM »

if you still need a good idea you could always try and find a really nice mod and make a video about that.

Fixed it.  ;)

TheHappyFace

• Admiral
  • The critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2012, 08:48:38 AM »

;D nice one

no one can beat that mod. only join it.
Fractalsoftworks limited edition ban hammer.
Pages: [1] 2