Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Technical Blog?  (Read 2063 times)

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Technical Blog?
« on: November 16, 2012, 10:19:12 AM »

So, this quote got me thinking:
The original AI is still in the core code - extracting it to scripts would be time-consuming (never mind adding to the game's loading time), even though, as far as I can tell, it's not doing anything (or much) the API wouldn't let it do.

This reminds me of something I've been meaning to ask about. Would it be possible to make Starfarer able to load .class files directly? This would both greatly decrease loading time as well as allow us to use generics and other things not supported by Janino. And they would still go through the custom classloader, correct?

Interesting idea. Let me take a look at what it would take to load up jar/class files dynamically. With jars, you'd still have to use scripts as stubs to call into them... unless the data definitions were changed to allow you to specify stuff within a jar directly. Hmm.

Wouldn't it be neat to have a blog post on the technical aspects of creating starfarer?  I'm a programmer, with delusions of making games someday, and so I'd be very interested in hearing about some of the more technical aspects; what libraries are being used; where some of the gotchas are; what sorts of things you have to do to provide reasonable security against malicious code in mods, etc.

(This is, incidentally, how I actually found Starfarer; I was wandering through java game development forums, happened on a thread listing games under construction using java, and then ended up muttering something about "Hey!  That looks suspiciously like the sort of thing I'd want to make!  Did someone invent an orbital mind-reading laser while I wasn't paying attention?  Where's my tin foil hat?")
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Re: Technical Blog?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 12:07:40 PM »

I'd be very interested in reading this. It would take time away from development of course.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 03:10:45 PM »

Yeah... I'd be lying if I said I hadn't thought about that. Occasionally, things come up that would be interesting to talk about - but I feel weird posting something that'd be of interest to - let's be generous and say 5% - of the blog's audience. Maybe that's ok, though.

naufrago

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 04:28:26 PM »

If the post is interesting enough, it's possible a site like rockpapershotgun.com would link to it, particularly in their Sunday Papers section. It's always interesting to read about the nitty gritty development details from a developer. Even if not, I'd find it interesting at least.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 06:07:43 PM »

Yeah... I'd be lying if I said I hadn't thought about that. Occasionally, things come up that would be interesting to talk about - but I feel weird posting something that'd be of interest to - let's be generous and say 5% - of the blog's audience. Maybe that's ok, though.

I think it would be fine, but then again I'm in that 5% :P. You could post it to a separate blog if you wanted - that way people who don't want to read technical details wouldn't think they were getting a gamplay update.

VerifiedN

• Ensign
  • A random person on the internet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 08:31:35 PM »

I'm in said '5% interest' party.  :)

It'd be great to have something like that to read to see how development is going.

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 05:17:56 AM »

I'm very interested in this! I was going to pm Alex just now and then I saw this, yay!
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)