Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: CSV Editor - Alpha 0.2.2a  (Read 9352 times)

silentstormpt

• Admiral
    • View Profile
CSV Editor - Alpha 0.2.2a
« on: November 05, 2012, 03:57:45 AM »

CSV Editor

The main objective of this tool is to "simplify" Editing on CSV files on Star Farer without the need for programs like Excel and/or OpenOffice, while adding Filters depending on the Header and Details of what it does and what can you do.

Right now it can only read  and save CSV files meaning you can use it if you want a more organized view of the CSV file while changing it, you can't move entire columns/rows yet, it can be possible if i add a few hundred lines of code, so it might take a while.

Download 0.2.2a

Change Log:
Spoiler
Updated: 0.1.1a
- Shows the full path under the DataGridView;
- The DataGridView now re-sizes depending on the current window size (before it was docked on the main Window itself);
Updated: 0.1.2a
- More Optimizations on the code;
- Added a Save Option but the code its not working, you can try it, it wont crash the program just returns a error;
- Fixed the initial size of the DataGridView not re-sizing when opened a new file;
- Fixed the double "Want to Exit?" message when you pressed the Exit on the drop File Menu;
Updated: 0.1.3a
- Added a Help Option, if you select a cell you can see what its used for;
- Fixed a few problems with the code.
Updated: 0.2.0a
- Completed the Save option;
- Goes from Pre-Alpha to Alpha.
Updated: 0.2.1a
- Changed the Save Option into two types: Save and Save As;
- Changed the Top menu, instead all Menu "buttons" are on the top directly;
- Fixed a few non intended bugs, added more Error responses;
- Fixed the "you can save even if you haven't loaded a CSV file" bug.
Updated: 0.2.2a
- Changed the Help menu to send an actual help message on the program itself;
- Added ALOT more replies on the new help, but now only works on a file called ship_data.csv, ill add more replies to the other 3 later;
- Added a Right Mouse Click Menu with a "What is this?" as the new Help option on the program.
[close]

Screenshots:
Spoiler
0.1.1a Version Screenie:

0.2.1a Version Screenie:

[close]

Like TotalBiscuit said, Alpha is Alpha, expect Errors/Bugs/Missing content. If you get a Bug/Error please post them.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 01:36:27 PM by silentstormpt »

Hyph_K31

• Admiral
  • O' Hear My Name and Tremble! Ug Ug.
    • View Profile
Re: CSV Editor - Pre-Alpha 0.1a
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 03:59:15 AM »

Sounds very promising! I've been hoping someone might do something like this for a while now :)

"GEDUNE, stop venting in front of your classmates!"

TheHappyFace

• Admiral
  • The critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 05:00:11 AM »

Nice, much better than in excel.  :)
Fractalsoftworks limited edition ban hammer.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 05:08:05 AM »

I'll look into this. :) Hopefully you can type descriptions in here and use the enter key when it's done?  Excel moved to the next box down when pressing enter, so yea.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

silentstormpt

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 07:56:05 AM »

Its probably possible to filter after the change is done on a "cell" by adding a input window in response with the old value, a explanation on what that column is for and what it accepts (for example you add a random word on a field that should have a number).

You can already force the input window by double clicking on a "cell" but its using some values i set for testing.

I feel it is a little slow when i move the scroll bars, might be lacking optimization... we'll see.

Once i get the actual 100% working Alpha version, im releasing the code so you can use it for "whatever" purposes...

billi999

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: CSV Editor - Pre-Alpha 0.1.1a
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 04:20:55 PM »

Awesome, I didn't think it'd be possible to make a spreadsheet program with winforms alone, nice job. Also I love that you can sort columns by ascending/descending order.

silentstormpt

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: CSV Editor - Pre-Alpha 0.1.2a
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 03:17:23 AM »

Im having some problems making the actual save on the opened file, instead its doing what the "Save as" normally does, i did manage to create a saved file tho with one single column so im not that far from creating a proper save system.

Awesome, I didn't think it'd be possible to make a spreadsheet program with winforms alone, nice job. Also I love that you can sort columns by ascending/descending order.

those options are all already added when you place the DataViewGrid, they weren't changed by me
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 03:20:27 AM by silentstormpt »

silentstormpt

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: CSV Editor - Pre-Alpha 0.1.3a
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 04:08:10 AM »

Added a Prototype for a help system, when you select a cell (a single one) and you press Help, you'll get a explanation on what is used;

Right now only the first 4 headers on the Ship_data.csv work right, the rest you'll get a Warning message since i didn't add it yet.

silentstormpt

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: CSV Editor - Alpha 0.2.0a
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 10:16:10 AM »

Anyone that just downloaded the minute i changed the topic needs to download again, i just fixed a tiny bug that was still in the released file. Also i just added the icon on the actual Program.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Re: CSV Editor - Alpha 0.2.0a
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 03:42:29 PM »

I await the next version. :) You're making good progress so far, nice job. ;)
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

silentstormpt

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: CSV Editor - Alpha 0.2.1a
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2012, 09:52:43 AM »

Updaded, few bug fixes and a UI change.

Hyph_K31

• Admiral
  • O' Hear My Name and Tremble! Ug Ug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2012, 03:32:42 AM »

How are things going with this? Any progress or issues you want to share? ^^

"GEDUNE, stop venting in front of your classmates!"

silentstormpt

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2012, 07:00:14 AM »

So far i got the program doing the 3 main objectives i wanted, Read CSV, Edit CSV, Save CSV

Few bugs i haven't been able to fix yet.
    - The way it read the CSV is very basic, making it extremely sensitive to extra empty spaces in them, sometimes it creates new headers that shouldn't be there.
    - When you have a empty column in a CSV file opened and you try to add a value in it, it will return a error because it set a specific value as default, even it its supposed to always accept a string value.

Not solvable Problems:
Change the header on the DataGrid, you lose the ability to set the columns into descend and ascend depending on the alphabetic order or numeric order.

Missing stuff:
The Help function is not 100% set and requires selecting a "Cell"<- Added a drop down menu with a help option so its more or less done and pressing Help on the menu to get a small explanation if what it does and what value accepts/requires/is_limited_to need to be more specific and accurate, reason why i asked to have an update on the topic: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=23 about the CSV files headers.
In the end there's alot more optimization that can be done, multiple CSV files that can be opened using a tab to move one to another.
You dont have an option like on Excel to move/copy/paste entire Columns or Rows this can be done once i get a better code to manipulate the DataGrid.

Possible Optimizations:
CSV files creates a XML file that sets every cell to be interactive objects themselves allowing you for example to manipulate/access a  *.ship/*.variant | *.weapon/*.proj | *.system ... files that is "connected" to it.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 01:38:03 PM by silentstormpt »

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
Re: CSV Editor - Alpha 0.2.2a
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2012, 09:09:13 PM »

Dunno if this helps you, silentstormpt, but I feel I should point out that I've already fleshed out the handling of Starfarer's CSV flavour. I went through three main versions of this subsystem before I was satisfied with it, and I'd hate for you to have to go through all the same heartache I did.

Here's my source code for my CSV Loader; it's not the same language as you're using but it should be understandable enough to a fellow programmer to be helpful. This particular module is very self-contained and has next to no dependencies within the project.
https://github.com/Trylobot/sf-ship-ed/blob/master/src/TCSVLoader.type.bmx

Hope it can be helpful.

~ T

silentstormpt

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: CSV Editor - Alpha 0.2.2a
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2012, 04:54:45 AM »

Dunno if this helps you, silentstormpt, but I feel I should point out that I've already fleshed out the handling of Starfarer's CSV flavour. I went through three main versions of this subsystem before I was satisfied with it, and I'd hate for you to have to go through all the same heartache I did.

Here's my source code for my CSV Loader; it's not the same language as you're using but it should be understandable enough to a fellow programmer to be helpful. This particular module is very self-contained and has next to no dependencies within the project.
https://github.com/Trylobot/sf-ship-ed/blob/master/src/TCSVLoader.type.bmx

Hope it can be helpful.

~ T

Thank you for sharing it, i'll do a detailed sweep on it once im home.

Even so, i need to rewrite/clean/optimize the code sooner or later, i've got alot of repetitive parts filling up space.

One thing i would like to ask you is, i'm going to post here a list of every header (on the CSV files) and a explanation what it does. Once they are mostly correct and organized, could you place the list on this topic and stick it: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=23 ?

PS: Once the i got the program working well and goes into "beta", ill be releasing the code, i can do this now if anyone needs ofc.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 04:57:00 AM by silentstormpt »
Pages: [1] 2 3