Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Suggestion sticky  (Read 6692 times)

Aleskander

• Captain
    • View Profile
Suggestion sticky
« on: October 18, 2012, 09:47:56 AM »

How about a sticky that contains many of the suggestions that have been made and alex-approved (or disapproved)with the link to the thread for discussion? I think everyone is tired of seeing the inevitable threads that seem to come up every week about taking over stations and whatnot. Having to look up a suggestion with the forum search engine is inaccurate.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestion sticky
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 10:26:54 AM »

Good idea. It's best if a mod opens it, isn't it?
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Aleskander

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 10:38:41 AM »

Yeah, of course. This was jsut the suggestion.

GUNINANRUNIN

• Admiral
  • Let's do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 10:57:31 AM »

Good idea. It's best if a mod opens it, isn't it?.
*looks at category*
In short, if you throw a stone out of the rear window of your spaceship you will go faster.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 11:09:17 AM »

Of course, the irony is that this "Frequently Asked Suggestions" suggestion has been brought up more than once already...

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 11:40:47 AM »

Good idea. It's best if a mod opens it, isn't it?.
*looks at category*

What? Everybody can make such a thread, you just need a mod to sticky it. I'm just eating the best sandwich ever with lamb, cheddar and habanero slices, so dont f*** with me!

The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 11:46:41 AM »

People want this?

Guess I'll dump the ol' file. With credits to me, Upgrade, K64, BillyRueben, and if I missed you out say.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 12:16:54 PM »

Nice, haha.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 02:43:22 PM »

Oh, and if this does happen, make sure that you say something like this:

Multiplayer has already been suggested multiple times. And please no "Yeah, but my suggestion is different...". If it involves playing with others, don't bother suggesting it.

Morrokain

• Admiral
  • Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 11:42:14 PM »

Oh, and if this does happen, make sure that you say something like this:

Multiplayer has already been suggested multiple times. And please no "Yeah, but my suggestion is different...". If it involves playing with others, don't bother suggesting it.
I can understand that it gets irritating to see the same posts/discussions and all that. I do agree that a helpful sticky that helps newbies to the suggestion forum file through common suggestions to see if their idea has already been mentioned would be useful.

What I cannot stand behind, however, is this sort of stance (not to pick on you BillyRueben I'm merely using you as an example). It is never a good idea to stifle the growth of new ideas simply because some of the community is tired of hearing a certain type of suggestion or doesn't agree with it. That is what the suggestion forums are here for after all.

You never know, that person's implementation or version could actually be the solution to why it was decided against or could help make the feature all the more better down the road.

Just saying.

Aleskander

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2012, 04:32:42 AM »

That's why the original thread is kept active. If someone wants to upgrade the suggestion they could just post into that thread instead of making a new one. That's what I was thinking anyways.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2012, 08:01:42 PM »

What I cannot stand behind, however, is this sort of stance (not to pick on you BillyRueben I'm merely using you as an example). It is never a good idea to stifle the growth of new ideas simply because some of the community is tired of hearing a certain type of suggestion or doesn't agree with it. That is what the suggestion forums are here for after all.
It isn't that I'm tired of hearing it (I am) or that I don't agree with it (I actually would enjoy multiplayer I think), it's that it has been virtually guaranteed that multiplayer isn't going to happen, yet people still insist on making a multiplayer suggestion because their idea of multiplayer is "so awesome".

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2012, 12:01:55 AM »

Personally I have mixed feelings about this.

In principle, I agree, but in practice I find that these types of threads do little to stop the endless cycle of repeated suggestions. Let's face it, people get excited about a 'new' idea that isn't implemented yet, then they post to let the world know about it. Perhaps after the excitement has faded they will think to search, or read a stickied thread.

In the worst case, they give people some ammunition to say READ THE STICKY NOOB, rather than take a small amount of time to respond politely in the manner of 'thanks, but this has been suggested many times before'.

I don't personally feel that the quantity of repeated suggestions are overwhelming, so I would tend to leave it as-is for the small risk of increased negativity towards over-excited newcomers (who should always be welcomed heartily), especially as I don't think it will help as much as it theoretically should.

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

DelicateTask

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2012, 02:20:49 PM »

Personally, I'm less interested in the idea of a sticky list for reducing similar topics than I am in using it to keep track of ideas that are already out there for my own reference. For example, if there's an idea that's already been discussed, then I'd rather be able to look it up in the list and add some new perspective to the pre-existing thread. And I do agree that often the search feature isn't the best way to find things.

Morrokain

• Admiral
  • Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2012, 12:01:53 AM »

It isn't that I'm tired of hearing it (I am) or that I don't agree with it (I actually would enjoy multiplayer I think)
Just to be clear I was not directing that at you in particular I was using that post as an example to make a generalization.

it's that it has been virtually guaranteed that multiplayer isn't going to happen, yet people still insist on making a multiplayer suggestion because their idea of multiplayer is "so awesome".
Despite this, a lot can change especially later on down the road of development. I am sure that if someone asked the developers of World of Warcraft to make flying mounts or arena battles before launch, Blizzard would have had similar responses. But once the main aspects of the game are finalized, who knows what the developer may or may not decide to add. Even if the current stance is that it would never be good for a game, things change and nothing is really final.

But regardless, I wasn't trying to argue for the merits of multiplayer or whether or not it is or is not a definite no. What I am saying is that it is a good idea to allow people to share their ideas on a forum like this regardless of whether they seem relevant or not. Sometimes a gem comes along that truly changes the game that nobody thought of before. I'm not saying its likely, I'm saying open dialogue is good and if they believe it is relevant by all means let them share it.  ;D