Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: hull damage lowering ship performance  (Read 4096 times)

Some dude

• Ensign
    • View Profile
hull damage lowering ship performance
« on: October 18, 2012, 05:40:32 AM »

I haven't seen this suggested anywhere so here goes.. 
My biggest problem with the game in its current state is that a ship 1HP from being destroyed works exactly the same way as a fully repaired one (as long as the shield holds, anyway). This is highly unrealistic and it often also makes Sabot-reliant and other low ammo burst damage ships annoying to use. When you waste all kinetic ammo on dropping the shield and don't destroy the ship before its shields come back up you might as well retreat.

I think that the base ship stats should scale down based on the ship's remaining hull health. Lower flux efficiency, top speed, beam damage,... on highly damaged ships maybe shield flickering or small cracks in the shield to give you some way of finishing off that ship that's essentially a flying wreck.

I understand implementing this would mean re-balancing the whole combat system again. Still, i think the game would really benefit from a system like this. Your thoughts?

ClosetGoth

• Commander
  • Permanently TTRPG-brained
    • View Profile
Re: hull damage lowering ship performance
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 05:54:48 AM »

I think there should be some quirks when a ship is severely damaged other than maybe the engines being temporarily disabled or your armor being shot. But, I think it would really hurt the player and make ship combat more boring if all sorts of stats were lowered, as it would punish the player for living life on the edge.

I think it would be cool if things happened like your engines randomly flaming out or flaring up and providing unwanted thrust, or weapons flickering offline, or even the shield flickering off for a split second repeatedly (without forcing the shield to be fully raised, but it would add a miniscule window that would make players nervous about shots getting through). Maybe even your ship might do a flux vent for a quarter second as the computers malfunction (although this might conflict with the reasons that I forget behind your ship having to fully vent).
Starfaring since the very beginning of 2012

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 06:15:09 AM »

Welcome to the forum dude  :)

That kind of realistic damage system was actually already suggested.... and rejected. The problem is that it would send ships in a downward spiral, where little damage makes it prone to more and so on. That would tip the balance of a battle very early on, and the losing party had to endure it's slow and painful breakdown like in a stellar game of monopoly. You don't have fun as a looser in monopoly.

But Catattack's idea sounds like a interesting new take on the problem. Some shield and engine flickering with very heavy damage would no spiral down anything but only quicken the inevitable. +1 to that.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

GUNINANRUNIN

• Admiral
  • Let's do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 10:49:51 AM »

But Catattack's idea sounds like a interesting new take on the problem. Some shield and engine flickering with very heavy damage would no spiral down anything but only quicken the inevitable. +1 to that.
Agreed, I think he's on to something. +1
In short, if you throw a stone out of the rear window of your spaceship you will go faster.

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 01:35:40 AM »

Yup it would be nice to see weapons, shields and engines flickering like Sheldon face ( from Big Bang Theory series), when they don't let him finish his sentence  ;D
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

Some dude

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 04:23:50 AM »

Thanks for the welcome! Didn't even realize its my first post here. :D

Anyway, i think i may have forgot to take the player's perspective into account, it would certainly make me play more carefully if i lost power with every hit i take. No stat drops then?

I still like Catattack's approach, giving random opportunities to finish off a heavily damaged target...and would make the effects of damage on enemies more visible to the player. Watching them occasionally struggle against their own ship may end up being just as satisfying as getting them into that state. ;D

So yeah, shameless self bump and I'm curious to see where this leads.

maximilianyuen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 04:28:36 AM »

perhaps the ship captain will surrender or retreat on its owe when the hp is low enough?
Fleet construction in progress.

swicked

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2012, 09:45:15 AM »

I dunno about lowering ship performance beyond the fact that it becomes easier to damage engines and weapons once armor is down, but I'd appreciate it if damaged ships got even cooler graphics down the line.

Rather than just the shattered look it has now actual parts would break off, possibly (but not necessarily) modifying the hit box. Occasional flares or additional explosions and crew members could be seen blowing out into space, use off the engine would result in flames coming out the sides of your craft, etc...

Just additional, random graphical doodads to make the damage look more dynamic. Like... holy crap, this ship is seriously falling apart on a structural level, I should probably do something about that.

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 11:04:01 AM »

Summoning Alex to this thread! =D he should see this.

Axiege

• Admiral
  • What a brave and loving name.
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2012, 11:20:41 AM »

Would make epic come-backs even more impossible, but makes too much sense.

GUNINANRUNIN

• Admiral
  • Let's do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2012, 12:49:25 PM »

I dunno about lowering ship performance beyond the fact that it becomes easier to damage engines and weapons once armor is down, but I'd appreciate it if damaged ships got even cooler graphics down the line.

Rather than just the shattered look it has now actual parts would break off, possibly (but not necessarily) modifying the hit box. Occasional flares or additional explosions and crew members could be seen blowing out into space, use off the engine would result in flames coming out the sides of your craft, etc...

Just additional, random graphical doodads to make the damage look more dynamic. Like... holy crap, this ship is seriously falling apart on a structural level, I should probably do something about that.
Eh. We've touched on this before. Where's BillyReuben when you need him?
In short, if you throw a stone out of the rear window of your spaceship you will go faster.

Aleskander

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2012, 01:57:07 AM »

Quick, someone light the Reuben-signal

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2012, 06:53:35 AM »

Um, what?