Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Amusing quirks of Starfarer  (Read 6090 times)

Nooblies

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Amusing quirks of Starfarer
« on: October 14, 2012, 11:13:16 AM »

Just thought I'd start a post about the interesting or amusing things you've seen or noticed in starfarer.

For me, it's the fact that more often than not a veteran talon wing will actually lose in a fight against a regular talon wing. Must be something to do with the speeds that they move around and formation keeping, but a strange and illogical occurrence nonetheless.

Psycho Society

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Amusing quirks of Starfarer
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 01:28:35 PM »

Are you sure? That's weird.

intothewildblueyonder

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 06:34:16 PM »

I have seen that sort of thing, I think its because the pilots want to show off their drifting skills.

Similiarly, it is really funny to watch two ships locked in cycle, although you can really only get this to last in the refit screen.

I have also chased down ships, which were in fact faster than mine, decided that they need slow down and raise the shields. I guess if I could catch up they would need to?

Hardlyjoking67

• Captain
  • I'm a different kind of buddy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 07:10:53 PM »

Another amusing quirk is that Starfarer makes your ship stop accelerating and max out its speed even though force is only being applied in one direction.

intothewildblueyonder

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 07:43:29 PM »

Another amusing quirk is that Starfarer makes your ship stop accelerating and max out its speed even though force is only being applied in one direction.

actually that makes perfect sense (as velocity increases so does mass (relativity)- however this is not something the physics equations that are in your AP class are going to take into account)

Mattk50

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 02:18:41 AM »

actually that makes perfect sense (as velocity increases so does mass (relativity)- however this is not something the physics equations that are in your AP class are going to take into account)

We know that the battles in starfarer are not traveling at relativistic speeds because you can shoot a laser and have it instantly travel to its limited range. Of course, there are also pulse lasers but everyone knows thats just plasma thats being heated and propelled by lasers.

So no, it makes no sense whatsoever for the ships to have a max speed in space. Not that it matters, its all about the gameplay and it works well for it.

Hardlyjoking67

• Captain
  • I'm a different kind of buddy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 03:34:07 PM »

Its still amusing.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 03:47:18 PM »

We know that the battles in starfarer are not traveling at relativistic speeds because you can shoot a laser and have it instantly travel to its limited range. Of course, there are also pulse lasers but everyone knows thats just plasma thats being heated and propelled by lasers.

So no, it makes no sense whatsoever for the ships to have a max speed in space. Not that it matters, its all about the gameplay and it works well for it.

Maybe the ships are not using conventional impulse engines, and instead utilize some kind of linear displacement system perhaps via some kind of space-time warping technology.
Though that creates a whole load of other issues; what is it that the engines exhaust, why doesn't such a displacement system interfere with weapons fire/collisions, etc etc.

I think your explanation of "...for game play reasons" presents a sounder logical basis ;)

dogboy123

• Captain
  • Boron military barracuda
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 10:32:50 AM »

How fighters are above the other ships (hence the decrease in size when landing on a carrier), but when disabled they can collide with ships, even though they stay the same size. :)
"I'm expecting an all-out tactical dogfight... followed by a light dinner.

ArkAngel

• Captain
  • The essence of strategy is choosing what not to do
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 03:55:47 PM »

perhaps how a small fighter in starwars can kill a ssd and in starfarer fighters get absolutely massacred verus a cap ship?
"Yes... Yes I -am- sending you, alone, unarmed, against the might of the Hegemony defense fleet.  Not to worry - watching how they obliterate your puny frigate will be most... enlightening.  I shall dissect their tactics and emerge victorious!  Any questions? Then get to your ship, you launch in 5."

GUNINANRUNIN

• Admiral
  • Let's do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2012, 10:31:45 AM »

perhaps how a small fighter in starwars can kill a ssd and in starfarer fighters get absolutely massacred verus a cap ship?
Because video games.
In short, if you throw a stone out of the rear window of your spaceship you will go faster.

heskey30

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2012, 07:36:50 PM »

I strongly disagree.

The correct answer is: because movies.

:P

dogboy123

• Captain
  • Boron military barracuda
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2012, 11:04:53 PM »

Lol the reason is because Star Wars and Starfarer are completely different, and since space combat does not really exist today, people who create sci-fi can make up their own rules about everything.
"I'm expecting an all-out tactical dogfight... followed by a light dinner.