Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Desura?  (Read 4021 times)

brownbear

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Desura?
« on: January 06, 2012, 09:35:55 PM »

Any plans of bringing starfarer to Desura?

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
Re: Desura?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 10:11:12 PM »

I doubt plans can be made until the game is essentially done, for an indie company like Fractal.

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 02:30:23 AM »

Desura are pretty good at supporting incomplete indie games, and Alex has mentioned he has had discussions with them previously. Not sure if he's said whether there are concrete plans, though.

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 08:46:26 AM »

plans

Actions like this at an in-development state are more-or-less spontaneous.  Until it's closer to completion, I can't imagine real plans being made due to the lack of a strict/accurate timetable.

PastaMonster

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 12:20:53 PM »

plans

Actions like this at an in-development state are more-or-less spontaneous.  Until it's closer to completion, I can't imagine real plans being made due to the lack of a strict/accurate timetable.

From what I can tell Desura is pretty good about it. They have an entire section devoted to alpha funding.

brownbear

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 12:24:15 AM »

All the games I own and paid for on Desura are alphas...

Dohon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 12:50:09 AM »

Doesn't Desura take quite a chunk out of the income you receive? The Xenonaut team said that they had to sell a lot more copies on Desura in order to have the same income. Desura does give you more spotlight time to compensate, but it's not like Steam where you can reach a whole lot more people.
Into the fires of battle, unto the anvil of war! - Battlecry of the Salamanders, Space Marine Chapter, Warhammer 40.000. [...] for in the grim dark future there is only war.

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 01:19:53 AM »

Gamersgate is the other distributor worth considering. While not quite as big, I think it's still big enough to get you the word of mouth thing going on the nets.

In any case, if you want exposure, the distributor is generally not the way to go as there are many other more far reaching methods out there. I for instance don't really click into every single game on online digital distributors, especially indie games. I for one, and I suspect I'm not alone in this, take sites like RPS that often have a similar taste and standards in games to hold much more sway than the page offered on the distributor's page.
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"