Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The Difference  (Read 2269 times)

iXiPulseiXi

• Ensign
    • View Profile
The Difference
« on: October 12, 2012, 02:53:01 PM »

What is the difference between choosing 'Defense' rather that 'Offence' when an enemy fleet hails you?

Sorry if this has already been covered, I tried to use the search bar, but nothing came up.

Catra

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: The Difference
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 03:00:19 PM »

map size.

if you choose defense when the enemy chooses to flee (or vice versa) then there will be no combat.

starting fleet points.

iXiPulseiXi

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 03:03:21 PM »

Thank you!  ;D

Neroid

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 03:31:42 PM »

Interesting, i did not know of this
black magic?

Flunky

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 03:36:10 PM »

I don't know about the map part, but to elaborate a little on the other two Catra mentioned:

You'll need to attack if you think the enemy's going to flee. Fairly logical. This works both ways, of course-- if the AI's not confident it can beat you, it will take a defensive stance. This allows you to flee (if you want).

If one person is attacking and the other defending, the defender will have more deployment FP to work with. Also fairly logical. I don't know exact numbers, though.

Of course, if I'm wrong about any of this I apologize and I'm sure I'll get corrected soon enough.

naufrago

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 04:41:14 PM »

Also, if you choose "defend" and have to retreat, you'll take less post-battle damage than if you chose "attack." The only option that allows you to flee the battle without taking any post-battle damage is "retreat," but it limits you to only being able to retreat off the far side of the map.