Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A Fleet(?) of Sprites - BSF-based, with minimal editing  (Read 2368 times)

Piroton

• Ensign
    • View Profile
A Fleet(?) of Sprites - BSF-based, with minimal editing
« on: October 09, 2012, 12:08:02 AM »

So I decided to make a couple of sprites, and I'm hoping to create a mod out of them, but I just want some quick critique before I throw these into trylobot's SF edit for shipmaking, so it'll be great to get some feedback so I can improve.

Here's the Grand Regent - a ship I based off of a really sweet design from an upcoming game, and next to it is the Exjudicator (an original design):

And the rest of them, which aren't really much, are all here:
http://imgur.com/a/qybQg

Cheerio.

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: A Fleet(?) of Sprites - BSF-based, with minimal editing
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 01:03:06 AM »

Really, really nice. Main critique I would offer are the things you already know, I should think. I.e. it would look better with time spent post-processing.

I'm interested to see how the fading-alpha blue light on the exjudicator works in the game.

In terms of the ship design, what are you going for?

- the two big ships look to be over-gunned generally (not saying this is a bad thing :)), with the length of them meaning they will play more like the Conquest rather than the Onslaught, i.e. only bringing a lot of guns to bear at broadsides or at shorter ranges.

-Systems? Got any plans? How will this affect weapon placement, weapon types, built-in weapons?

I wouldn't want to offer any criticism of the aesthetics, but whether it works (or how well it works) as a ship could be all down to the weapons and numbers (flux etc) you give it :)

Once again, great work! Get it in the game and have a play about, you can quickly change the sprite if required, get balancing! :D

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

Piroton

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 02:22:34 AM »

Really, really nice. Main critique I would offer are the things you already know, I should think. I.e. it would look better with time spent post-processing.

I'm interested to see how the fading-alpha blue light on the exjudicator works in the game.

In terms of the ship design, what are you going for?

- the two big ships look to be over-gunned generally (not saying this is a bad thing :)), with the length of them meaning they will play more like the Conquest rather than the Onslaught, i.e. only bringing a lot of guns to bear at broadsides or at shorter ranges.

-Systems? Got any plans? How will this affect weapon placement, weapon types, built-in weapons?

I wouldn't want to offer any criticism of the aesthetics, but whether it works (or how well it works) as a ship could be all down to the weapons and numbers (flux etc) you give it :)

Once again, great work! Get it in the game and have a play about, you can quickly change the sprite if required, get balancing! :D

Thanks! I was hoping for this faction to play more like the old naval dreadnoughts.
On the other hand, the reason why I over-gunned the two large ships is mainly because they're going to have an exorbitant fleetpoint cost and be extremely rare and expensive (think the Titan from the IF mod). But yeah, I think I love the weapon spam a bit too much. Both ships also come with custom built-in weapons.

As for ship design, I mainly based the asthetic around rule of cool, but gameplay-wise, they're all going to have heavy defenses, deep flux reserves, but rather subpar venting (given how thick the armor is, and also for practical gameplay reasons) which makes them kind of like one-trick ponies - they don't maintain well in battles of attrition.

I carried over a bit of design craziness from playing BSF, (though I'm no veteran, unlike Cycerin) so the blue-alpha you see on the Exjudicator's pretty much a placeholder cover for a massive beam cannon (built in). Makes for one hell of an initiation tool, as least insofar as I've modified weapons for it.

silentstormpt

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 03:08:50 AM »

These are really damn good, specially when i personally have real trouble creating anything up to the size of a cruiser, also those 2 bigger ones, you can easily create 3 or 4 smaller ships out of it, they might be a "little" to big compared to the original capital ships, around 2 times the size, not that it matters much.