Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ships with beams don't enter effective weapon range  (Read 1263 times)

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
Ships with beams don't enter effective weapon range
« on: October 08, 2012, 06:41:25 AM »

I have a faint memory that this was already reported and that the issue lay with the AI calculating beams as hard-flux damage dealer. But it could not find that report, so better safe than sorry.

I encountered this in normal gameplay, but here's a way to reproduce in the simulator: Take a Paragon and let it be heavily damaged (I used 2 bomber wings). Then spawn a cruiser ( I used a support Dominator) and activate autopilot. The Paragon will keep firing it's ineffective Tachyon Lances, but will never attempt to get the cruiser in range of it's other weapons. So the fight does not end.

This could also be related to AI personalities, but I have no way to test that.

e/ Sidenote: The autopilot wins the mission Forlorn Hope with a standard outfit.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 06:50:36 AM by Gothars »
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

maximilianyuen

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Ships with beams don't enter effective weapon range
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 07:22:33 AM »

some supplementary
 when attacking ships with no shield, beam weapon keep firing to the collision radius but unable to reach the hull. since ship ai use maximum range so the ship arent as effective as it can be

.as mentioned in the other post, it will be nice to use ship boundary as calculating factor  ;)
Fleet construction in progress.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Ships with beams don't enter effective weapon range
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 09:20:50 AM »

Thanks for the reports - aware of both. Will probably take a look at the first one at some point. I do want to point out that it's not actually that much of an issue, at least as far as the "fight does not end" part - since the actual game (as opposed to AI testing) involves the player on one side.

Might find some time to look at the second one, too, but that's not as likely.