Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Boarding  (Read 5041 times)

Maxheadroom

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Boarding
« on: January 05, 2012, 06:17:50 AM »

The FAQ mentions boarding disabled enemy ships. How does that work exactly? Is it just a invisible dice roll to determine who wins?
Or is it something more involved with player interaction?

There's an ancient Amiga game called Rules of Engagement, when you boarded a crippled ship in that it went into a sort of top down squad based tactical game (think Laser Squad or Jagged alliance) where you had to fight your way to the bridge or the engine room to gain control (or scuttle it if the fight isnt going well).

Maybe thats not a direction you want to go in (and it's a big ask at this stage in development, essentially you'd be bolting on a whole other game type) but some form of player interaction in the outcome of a ship boarding would be nice

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Boarding
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 11:18:37 AM »

Hi! Check out the latest blog post - it talks about that, among other things.

In brief, it's all behind the scenes. Having it be tactical could be nice - but it could also be something of a chore for the player, depending on their preferences. Doing it "right", like you said, is a big task - and it'd probably need to be skippable for someone that's just not interested in it. To be honest, I'd rather focus on adding features/making improvements to the combat and the sandbox, rather than spreading the effort too thin over an extra game type.

Darrow

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 12:03:27 PM »

Hi! Check out the latest blog post - it talks about that, among other things.

In brief, it's all behind the scenes. Having it be tactical could be nice - but it could also be something of a chore for the player, depending on their preferences. Doing it "right", like you said, is a big task - and it'd probably need to be skippable for someone that's just not interested in it. To be honest, I'd rather focus on adding features/making improvements to the combat and the sandbox, rather than spreading the effort too thin over an extra game type.

Hey alex, i think it would be cool if certain factions had better infantry and or crew abilities...

So for boarding one faction could have better boarders who infiltrate silently and take less loses... and another could be stronger brute force wise (Or just race wise be resistent to lasers or some ***).

Also this could be a neat upgrade tech tree thing. Perhaps better boarding abilities such as weaponry or shields... or hacking etc etc.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 12:45:21 PM »

Yeah, I think some enhancements along those lines would be cool. I'm thinking of perhaps adding some "equipment" down the line, carrying which in your cargo holds would provide certain bonuses - among them, improved boarding abilities. Don't hold me to that, though :)

Maxheadroom

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 01:56:28 AM »

That all sounds pretty cool (and thanks for replying  :) )

As i understand it from your blog, boarding is a post-battle option. If you could board a disabled ship during a battle, then you could have some sort of visual bar that moves between red and green to give feedback of the boarding effort, with the ability to commit additional boarding parties if needed?

That could give it a slight tactical element (do you risk spreading yourself too thin to capture that 1 ship that could turn the battle in your favor etc).

PS
I've actually pre ordered now so any future suggestions will be tempered by me actually having played the game :)

ollobrains

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 03:31:14 AM »

specalised boarding ships in youre fleets, perhaps some planets in random spots could provide higher tech-higher training , higher abilities and specalised stealth boarding ships or faster moving or various elements u come up with that affect.  And i think boarding should for now be a backgorund thing in a statistical way if u make enough money for expansions u could always expand some of the gameplay elements into optional elements

Lopunny Zen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 04:53:03 AM »

if you want when the games done i can add a boarding mode to it where its a toploader shoot game and you lead your crew to fight in with them..i believe this would add an incredible element to the game and can add new side to the gameplay