Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Sonic realism: the Alien tagline  (Read 12217 times)

JT

• Commander
    • View Profile
Sonic realism: the Alien tagline
« on: October 02, 2012, 02:47:04 AM »

"In space, no one can hear you scream."

I think it would be interesting if we could have a sounds option that lets us enable realism mode -- specifically, that unless your ship is making the sound, you don't hear any sound. You'll hear the autocannon shells spattering across your hull, but not the autocannon firing -- on the other hand, you'll hear your autocannons firing but not the shells spattering across the enemy's hull.

This could also be rounded out with a hull outfit, Sound Simulator, which uses advanced sensors to "electronically simulate" the various sounds going in the environment around your ship, or in other words which just plays the sounds as they currently are without the realism mode enabled. Which is sort of ironic, I guess. ;-)

Skyjump

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Sonic realism: the Alien tagline
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 04:43:03 AM »

I kinda like this Idea, as it would make it more "realistic"...
But I also really like the sounds already there.
If this was a feature implemented, I would like to have it toggle-able.
+1

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 05:13:05 AM »

I think of Starfarer more as the simulation of a command interface than of actual space, the sounds are converted sensor output, like you said in your third paragraph. No sounds would not add realism but would only be detrimental for the atmosphere.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Hyph_K31

• Admiral
  • O' Hear My Name and Tremble! Ug Ug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 05:34:25 AM »

I think of Starfarer more as the simulation of a command interface than of actual space, the sounds are converted sensor output, like you said in your third paragraph. No sounds would not add realism but would only be detrimental for the atmosphere.

^ This ^

"GEDUNE, stop venting in front of your classmates!"

Cypher

• Ensign
  • A spacemarine penguin. Because I can
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 11:50:43 AM »

maybe the advanced sensors could be a hull mod. so maybe one ship in your fleet could be a 'sensor boat', as having sound is of some tactical benefit

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 12:19:50 PM »

A realism mode should be allowed but not required, would be amusing at least.

LostInTheWired

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 02:19:29 PM »

I would have to say it's the other way around for me.  Hearing that difference is something I notice and pick up on, and it draws me in.

But it's not like that for everyone.  I think it's cool, and know how that's how it works in real life, and it helps me.  Other people need those sounds to stay involved though.  Which is why everyone is saying a toggle would be nice.

It's not exactly a super important feature though.  XD

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 03:37:48 PM »

Another case where fiction is more fun than realism. Is there not a "Sound Effects" slider or some other sound option of this type? (I'm actually asking. I really don't know.)

+1 If this takes >10 minutes to add.
-1 If it takes longer.

Aleskander

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 09:34:52 AM »

Why remove sounds? Sure, it's unrealistic, but it's science fiction. We have guns that shoot black holes for gods sake.

JT

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 06:10:54 PM »

Another case where fiction is more fun than realism. Is there not a "Sound Effects" slider or some other sound option of this type? (I'm actually asking. I really don't know.)

+1 If this takes >10 minutes to add.
-1 If it takes longer.

Basically this is all I'm asking for -- an option. I imagine in practice it would actually be extremely easy to add, although 10 minutes to add any feature in a modern programming project is a pipe dream. ;-)

I'd estimate about 15-60 minutes to implement the feature that only produces the sounds heard by your current command ship, plus 30-120 minutes testing -- then adding a hull outfit to drop back to the existing behaviour when realism mode is enabled would probably be only on the order of a couple of minutes. In terms of comparison to the industry, however, that's hugely on the low side (the rule of thumb for any given minor non-content feature is 1-4 hours to implement and twice as much time for testing). Obviously I've never seen Stargazer's source code so I'm not sure how elegant it is and how many things are hard-coded, which would heavily influence the implementation time.

Why remove sounds? Sure, it's unrealistic, but it's science fiction. We have guns that shoot black holes for gods sake.

Firefly. It is made of awesome. It does not simulate sounds in space. It is also science fiction. ;-)

They relaxed this a bit for Serenity (although this is because the scenes involving sounds were supposedly in the upper atmosphere), but if Firefly does it, it is pure and holy and incontrovertible and all unbelievers must be smote. ;-)

I disagree! A lot of emphasis in Starfarer seems to be to simulate your officers as a command crew. You can transfer your crew from ship to ship to take direct control, but otherwise you are a physical avatar, and that will only become more evident as the game progresses and it moves away from being a Gratuitous Space Battles and becomes more of a Starfury.

ClosetGoth

• Commander
  • Permanently TTRPG-brained
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2012, 05:45:24 AM »

+1 on this idea. It really confuses me when people get all puffed up over "removing the sounds". Alex already has sounds implemented, so why would he remove his code for the sounds when it would take no longer (maybe) to add another option. It still makes my head hurt that you have to specify that some things should be options.
Starfaring since the very beginning of 2012

GUNINANRUNIN

• Admiral
  • Let's do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2012, 10:48:08 AM »

*turns speakers off*

*boots Starfarer*
In short, if you throw a stone out of the rear window of your spaceship you will go faster.

naufrago

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2012, 06:37:14 PM »

*turns speakers off*

*boots Starfarer*

No need to even turn off your speakers, there's an option right when you boot it up to disable all sounds! Maybe he should just rename the "Sound" checkbox to "Enable Sonic Realism Mode." =p

FlashFrozen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2012, 07:17:12 PM »

Well not completely what the OP wants, but If you tried the Paragons fortress shield, it reduces the sound generated from external forces :D
Not sure if this could be made standalone, but if it could you could try making it filter all noises produced by outside sources,

Just saying 3:

GUNINANRUNIN

• Admiral
  • Let's do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2012, 10:15:59 AM »

No need to even turn off your speakers, there's an option right when you boot it up to disable all sounds!
...I know....   ._.

@OP I'm pretty sure this idea is completely unfounded and fairly ridiculous, though I can see where you're coming from. I long for the day a game comes out with !!PURREALIzAM!!, but today just isn't that day, and Starfarer just isn't that kind of game. :/
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 10:19:59 AM by GUNINANRUNIN »
In short, if you throw a stone out of the rear window of your spaceship you will go faster.
Pages: [1] 2 3