Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Just some small suggestions..  (Read 1388 times)

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
Just some small suggestions..
« on: September 30, 2012, 01:09:43 PM »

...that don't need their own thread. Here goes:

A indicator for the flagship on the tactical map
- right know it can be difficult to identify your own ship on the map, at least if your fleet is big and especially if you have more ships of the same class as your flagship. There is the blue frame that indicates your camera position on the combat screen, but that does not help if you're using target view, video feet or if your fleet's in a tight brawl.
Maybe just a different marker than the green square.

Allow menu access in the fleet-encounter screen (the one where you communicate)
- This would be irrelevant in most situations, but there are exceptions: if you accidentally run into a superior fleet and want to reload. Now you can at least quickly auto resolve, but since Alex said that he might be disabling that option against superior fleets it could become annoying.

Let PD weapons ignore the hold fire order
Spoiler
- They hardly contribute to flux build up and their deactivation is the reason I often hesitate to hold fire (with x) and instead disable the offensive weapon groups manually. I really see no situation where you would want to silence your PDs.
[close]

« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 02:11:59 PM by Gothars »
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Re: Just some small suggestions..
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 01:37:28 PM »

- They hardly contribute to flux build up and their deactivation is the reason I often hesitate to hold fire (with x) and instead disable the offensive weapon groups manually. I really see no situation where you would want to silence your PDs.

I use x to specifically turn off pd when I need the 0 speed boost. This comes up quite often with larger ships when I'm maneuvering - sometimes I need my PD to hold for a few seconds to get up to +50, then I can coast with it on. Also it would be very counter-intuitive for 'hold fire' to not actually hold fire. :P

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
Re: Just some small suggestions..
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 01:40:37 PM »

I use x to specifically turn off pd when I need the 0 speed boost. This comes up quite often with larger ships when I'm maneuvering - sometimes I need my PD to hold for a few seconds to get up to +50, then I can coast with it on. Also it would be very counter-intuitive for 'hold fire' to not actually hold fire. :P

Good point, I forgot the 0 flux boost. Scratch that then.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.