Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Warp drive more feasible than first thought  (Read 22502 times)

naufrago

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Warp drive more feasible than first thought
« on: September 19, 2012, 10:21:27 PM »

Just thought I'd link this article here, since I'm not sure how many of you have read about this:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/17/warp-drive-star-trek-feasible_n_1890679.html

Basically, scientists have discovered that creating an FTL engine that warps space-time to cheat its way past the speed of light requires orders of magnitude less energy than originally thought. NASA scientists are actually preparing some experiments to test out the new theories to determine its feasibility. Pretty exciting stuff.

To put things in perspective, it took about half a century to go from the theory of relativity to creating practical applications for it (nuclear bombs, nuclear energy). It's entirely possible that we could see the inception of FTL technology (or at least a feasible interstellar drive) in our lifetimes. And we have computers now, which could help speed things along nicely.

Figured we're probably all space nerds to some extent, so this may be relevant to your interests.

Rowanas

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Warp drive more feasible than first thought
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 02:07:55 AM »

Perhaps, perhaps, but I think I'll stay on earth, thanks. It's pretty cool to be living in the future.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 02:11:55 AM »

Earth is going to die sooner or later. If we don't find a way to relocate and colonize other planets, I'd say we're pretty much doomed.

Rowanas

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 02:16:01 AM »

Good. There couldn't be a more fitting end to us.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 03:23:36 AM »

I wouldn't say that all of humanity needs to end - there are exceptions to the rule. I mean, sure thing, there are 1 smart guy for each 10 idiots, but that's not to say that the smart guy needs to die, is there?

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 04:51:07 AM »

I wouldn't say that all of humanity needs to end - there are exceptions to the rule. I mean, sure thing, there are 1 smart guy for each 10 idiots, but that's not to say that the smart guy needs to die, is there?
No, you are wrong. There is 1 decent guy/girl for each 1.000 or more idiots...  And i horrified with thought: Humans CAN space travel to other galaxy's. What horror would we bring to other aliens. What terror we would throw at them. Our entire history is a blood bath and we do that to each other. I can't even think what would we do to not earthlings... I really, really hope that human race never ever have something like FTL. We are bogeymen.
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

harrumph

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 04:59:59 AM »

Oh, we're not all that bad. Proportionally speaking, we're actually steadily becoming less and less violent (obviously in absolute terms the 20th century was the bloodiest ever, and nothing to pat ourselves on the collective back about). Besides, what makes you think we're so much more violent than some hypothetical alien race? We're the only technologically advanced species we know! Maybe the galaxy is just teeming with Tyranids and Antarans and the like.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 05:04:02 AM »

If the galaxy does have tyranids, then we're all either dead or dying soon.

And antarans? No clue.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 05:17:35 AM »

They're still talking about mind-boggling quantities of energy.

Google reliably tells me that a 1MT explosion requires 46.55g of matter be converted to energy
The Tsar bomb was a 50MT detonation, so will have consumed around 2.33 kg of mass.

If this new theory requires ~800kg of mass (Voyager 1's launch mass) be converted to energy, that means the space craft would need to be able to harness the equivalent power generated by ~344 Tsar bombs.
While it's not unimaginable for us to be able to generate such huge amounts of energy, the material sciences necessary to harness such huge energy levels are completely unimaginable.

I don't think FTL travel to other stars is something we need to be considering for at least the next 1000 years.

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 05:21:50 AM »

I don't think FTL travel to other stars is something we need to be considering for at least the next 1000 years.
Then it's a good thing we'll have immortality in the next 100 years
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 05:25:39 AM »

Proof? Evidence? Pointers?

sdmike1

• Admiral
  • Dyslexics of the world, untie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2012, 07:18:08 AM »

No, you are wrong. There is 1 decent guy/girl for each 1.000 or more idiots...  And i horrified with thought: Humans CAN space travel to other galaxy's. What horror would we bring to other aliens. What terror we would throw at them. Our entire history is a blood bath and we do that to each other. I can't even think what would we do to not earthlings... I really, really hope that human race never ever have something like FTL. We are bogeymen.
Who's to say that the aliens are utopian? ;)

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2012, 09:31:11 AM »

No, you are wrong. There is 1 decent guy/girl for each 1.000 or more idiots...  And i horrified with thought: Humans CAN space travel to other galaxy's. What horror would we bring to other aliens. What terror we would throw at them. Our entire history is a blood bath and we do that to each other. I can't even think what would we do to not earthlings... I really, really hope that human race never ever have something like FTL. We are bogeymen.

Bull ***.
The history of life itself is about killing and dying. And eating and *** ing.
If a bit of idiocy would be a good reason to to die or become extinct, humanity would be the last species on earth to go, not the first. Everything else is much more idiotic. More so, nothing else does even know it's idiotic, or that there might be something wrong with all the killing. It's perception of good and bad is what set's humanity apart, that and the therein contained potential to become less like animals and more like it's own civilized ideal.

The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

sirboomalot

• Admiral
  • Boom
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2012, 01:10:07 PM »

Proof? Evidence? Pointers?

Immortality of the mind seems to be one step after AI, all it would really take is a good understanding of the brain and the ability to program how it works with a person's memories. (along with a ton of science, of course)
I'm not sure that we'll be having it quite that soon (though I can hope) but I'm certain that we are going to have it sooner than people suspect.

GUNINANRUNIN

• Admiral
  • Let's do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2012, 01:31:07 PM »

They're still talking about mind-boggling quantities of energy.

Google reliably tells me that a 1MT explosion requires 46.55g of matter be converted to energy
The Tsar bomb was a 50MT detonation, so will have consumed around 2.33 kg of mass.

If this new theory requires ~800kg of mass (Voyager 1's launch mass) be converted to energy, that means the space craft would need to be able to harness the equivalent power generated by ~344 Tsar bombs.
While it's not unimaginable for us to be able to generate such huge amounts of energy, the material sciences necessary to harness such huge energy levels are completely unimaginable.

Agreed. To think we're close to FTL travel is wishful at best. Its even stated in the article that the ring surrounding the football-shaped craft would likely be made of "exotic matter"....

Also, I doubt humankind will last for another 40 years at this rate. We need this now. The opportunity to colonize a new world is something the entire world could get behind.
In short, if you throw a stone out of the rear window of your spaceship you will go faster.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6